Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enemy At the Gates/Kommissar scene

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by stalin View Post
    after all, the main fault of this movie is that it's total crap.
    That line could be recycled for sooooo many films. Some folks like Ebert or my current favourite film critic Mark Kermode get paid because of the creative way they say just that.

    Still I enjoyed films like "Kelly's Heroes," "Master and Commander" and "MASH" (the movie) even if they were far from historically accurate.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by joea View Post
      Some folks like Ebert or my current favourite film critic Mark Kermode get paid because of the creative way they say just that
      to be honest, Enemy at the Gates wouldn't be hated as much, had it been as good as Dr.Zhivago for example.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by joea View Post
        Still I enjoyed films like "Kelly's Heroes," "Master and Commander" and "MASH" (the movie) even if they were far from historically accurate.
        Of the three, Kelly's Heroes was probably the best and closest to the mark Historically.
        Not that it ever happened, but they had a good handle on the General situation and how things were done.

        Originally posted by stalin View Post
        to be honest, Enemy at the Gates wouldn't be hated as much, had it been as good as Dr.Zhivago for example.

        I heard that most Russians laughed at that miserable thing.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

        -Captain Jack

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Exorcist View Post

          I heard that most Russians laughed at that miserable thing.
          The two movies are on the same level of detachment from reality, whether it's Russian reality or not, but at least Zhivago was funny, in an "it's so bad it's good" campy way.
          www.histours.ru

          Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
            I heard that most Russians laughed at that miserable thing.
            firstly, the book the movie was made from is far from being a masterpiece... and laughing is better than hating ...but imo the movie (the one with Omar Sharif) isn't bad at all and portrays Russia more or less accurately

            Comment


            • #51
              “Enemy at the gates” has some exaggerations but on the whole it is much more correct, well-balanced and objective than any Soviet movie on WWII. For Russian patriots and their sympathizers the WWII reality is the one that was shown in the Soviet movies ordered by the Soviet state mainly for propaganda needs. Any deviation from the old party line in the issue will never be tolerated by them.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Shamil View Post
                “Enemy at the gates” has some exaggerations but on the whole it is much more correct, well-balanced and objective than any Soviet movie on WWII.




                For Russian patriots and their sympathizers the WWII reality is the one that was shown in the Soviet movies ordered by the Soviet state mainly for propaganda needs. Any deviation from the old party line in the issue will never be tolerated by them.
                What do you know about it? Nothing I assume, perhaps apart from the "repeat until truth" principle because you repeat " Russian patriots and their sympathizers blah blah blah" in almost every post you make
                Last edited by Erkki; 05 Jul 11, 12:39.
                “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

                Max Sterner

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Shamil View Post
                  “Enemy at the gates” has some exaggerations
                  ...gross exaggerations like for example a sniper singlehandedly winning a war, troops transported to the front in padlocked cars, human wave charges etc

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by stalin View Post
                    ...gross exaggerations like for example a sniper singlehandedly winning a war, troops transported to the front in padlocked cars, human wave charges etc
                    They also got the snipers equipment wrong and some German officers wearing decorations from the first world war even if they couldn´t possible have been born by that time.
                    “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

                    Max Sterner

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by stalin View Post
                      firstly, the book the movie was made from is far from being a masterpiece... and laughing is better than hating ...but imo the movie (the one with Omar Sharif) isn't bad at all and portrays Russia more or less accurately
                      Although the movie was well directed, well acted and very well composed as a story by itself, to say that it accurately portrayed Russia, or the chaos of the Russian Revolution and Civil War, is a bit of a stretch. For one thing, that supposes that the physical scenery of Finland, Spain and England where it was filmed are the same as that of Russia, and that Russian aristocrats are physically and emotionally the same as English or Egyptian aristocrats. Possible, but it requires a suspension of belief that this old historian can't quite manage...

                      As for EATG, it was purest Follywood from start to finish, and about as historically accurate as the cover of a current US science fiction novel that shows Robert E Lee holding an AK-47. But then, they based the film (sort of) on a 'history' of Stalingrad written in the west without reference to either Russian/Soviet OR German archive documents, nor any reference to Soviet memoirs, veteran's accounts, or histories. From this even with the best intentions you do not get accurate history.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Sharposhnikov View Post
                        Although the movie was well directed, well acted and very well composed as a story by itself, to say that it accurately portrayed Russia, or the chaos of the Russian Revolution and Civil War, is a bit of a stretch. For one thing, that supposes that the physical scenery of Finland, Spain and England where it was filmed are the same as that of Russia, and that Russian aristocrats are physically and emotionally the same as English or Egyptian aristocrats
                        but Russia is a vast country with various climate zones, so "Dr.Zhivago" team was right when filmed it on the above mentioned locations... also, to me, the world aristocracy looks more or less the same, be it Russian or English (because they're aristocracy y'know).

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I enjoyed EATG as a film but thought it sucked as history.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            To nikolas93TS:

                            Let me treat your post as personally insulting one.
                            Try to beat Shamil with other methods, or you play at one field with him

                            Regards
                            Alex
                            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Sharposhnikov View Post
                              Although the movie was well directed, well acted and very well composed as a story by itself, to say that it accurately portrayed Russia, or the chaos of the Russian Revolution and Civil War, is a bit of a stretch. For one thing, that supposes that the physical scenery of Finland, Spain and England where it was filmed are the same as that of Russia, and that Russian aristocrats are physically and emotionally the same as English or Egyptian aristocrats. Possible, but it requires a suspension of belief that this old historian can't quite manage...
                              .
                              You ain't kidding.
                              A family is reunited at a train station, Russian people that have not seen each other in years, and a quick Hello and a quick peck on the cheek is the extent of it?
                              I don't think so.
                              Yeah, I watched it, didn't understand what the hell the Doc's problem was, I think he needed a psychiatrist more than anything else.
                              And in the end, the young couple march off together under the Red Star... jeez. I think the producers wanted to try and market it in the old USSR, and they might even have pulled it off.
                              Big whoop.
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

                              -Captain Jack

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                                the young couple march off together under the Red Star... jeez
                                and why not?... at least this is how most Russians embraced the Soviet system... maybe that's what irritates you?

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X