Soviet female fighter pilots of the Second World War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet female fighter pilots of the Second World War

Female aviation units in Russia excelled and one was even the most decorated regiment in the whole soviet air force. How much did women contribute to the fighting of the war, and why isnít more written about it, considering how popular womenís history is these days?

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/18320...cond-world-war

There are more than a few words written about the Nacht Hexen. They played a somewhat wide role and have been pretty well recognized for it. Night harassment bombing flying in a little U2 isn't as glamorous as being a fighter pilot but it's got to be just as dangerous. Exactly how much damage those women did I'm not precisely sure, but considering the limited resources they needed to operate it would seem the Soviets got a good return on their investment. If you do a bit of searching you should be able to find a number of articles or even books about them.

Comment

and why isnít more written about it,
      Cause it is a man world,and women don't really get much of a look in.

considering how popular womenís history is these days?
      It's not that popular to men,to women it is,but most histrians are men,so women war history tends to get left out.

Russia did deploye a huge amount of females compared to other nationalties-Snipers,soldiers,pilots etc....well least today other countrieshave follow in Russian footsteps with women in military.

Comment

The Soviet Union made the most wide use of women in the military, but both the US and Britain also had women serving. In the US, by law they were kept out of 'combat' jobs like fighter pilot or sniper, but that didn't stop female nurses from becoming casualties or prisoners, and in Britain women were manning the antiaircraft defenses of London in 1944 against the 'baby Blitz' German bombing offensive.
        One problem with the learning more about the women in the Soviet military, from what I've read from the women veterans, is that after the war they were not encouraged to write or talk about their wartime experiences. The attitude seems to have been (after the war, at least) that the whole thing was an emergency measure and we'd just like to forget that we ever had to do that, thank you very much.
        It's a shame, because served in a missile unit in the US Army when women were assigned to that branch for the first time, and the girls had no role models at all in the US experience. I used Ludmilla Pavlichenko, the sniper and Lidya Litvak the fighter pilot as examples that they could do anything regardless of what anyone said that they could do. Or, as I put it at the time, "Don't tell me you can't do something because you are a woman, because I know what women are capable of in the military!" It must have worked, because both the female privates that came to work for me were sergeants within three years, and one stayed in the army and was commanding her own fire direction section within 5 years.

History is full of useful experience, if you know enough to study it and learn from it.

Comment

I wish I could find a movie on this subject with english subtitles

Comment

Originally posted by gorehound View Post
            I wish I could find a movie on this subject with english subtitles
            In fact, there is a movie about this subject. If you go to you tube, type in "Night Witches", you will come up with a couple of documentries and a movie "Night Witches in the sky". This film was made for Russian T.V. By the way, the film's director was Yevgenia Zhigulenko, who has passed away in 1994, herself a "Night Witch". She served with the 46th guards regiment during the Great Patriotic War. The film itself is in Russian, there are no english sub-titles.
            I also heard that Malcolm McDowell's nephew, is supposedly going to make a movie about the night witches, but that's on hold now because of financing.

Comment

There are threads on this subject on this forum that I have contributed to, along with a book review I did for Anna Yegorova's memoir, Red Sky, Black Death, which is now available from Slavica press.

Unfortunately, Anna Yegorova herself passed away last week in Moscow. It's very sad for me, as I contributed to a quilt that was made for her earlier this year. I have photos of her receiving it, and reading the enclosed letter, just a couple of months ago.

The BBC also did a radio show yesterday of the Soviet female pilots. It is available here for the next week or so, and is very good. Anna is one of the speakers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nk0g9

Comment

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=52326

That is the thread that covered this topic most extensively I believe. For reading on the subject in English, I recommend Anne Noggle's "A Dance with Death" Reina Pennington's "Wings, Women, and War" and Anna Yegorova's memoir "Red Sky, Black Death." They're all excellent books, full of wonderful anecdotes from the ladies themselves, and they are really must reads in English on the subject.

Comment

Very sad to hear of Anna Yegorova's death. I have read her Memoir "Red Sky, Black Death". Everyone should read it, Anna Alexandrovna was a remarkable woman.
                  Last edited by TM2(SW/AW); 03 Nov 09, 17:23.

Comment

Originally posted by TM2(SW/AW) View Post
                    Anna Alexandrovna was a remarkable woman.
                    Any women that dose so good for her country and does not hurt other women is a legend,god bless her.

Here's the best Russian female sniper!

http://www.vincelewis.net/sniper.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alina View Post
                      There are threads on this subject on this forum that I have contributed to, along with a book review I did for Anna Yegorova's memoir, Red Sky, Black Death, which is now available from Slavica press.

Unfortunately, Anna Yegorova herself passed away last week in Moscow. It's very sad for me, as I contributed to a quilt that was made for her earlier this year. I have photos of her receiving it, and reading the enclosed letter, just a couple of months ago.

The BBC also did a radio show yesterday of the Soviet female pilots. It is available here for the next week or so, and is very good. Anna is one of the speakers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nk0g9
                      Welcome back, Alina. Thank you for the information about Anna. So sorry for this loss.
                      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                      _________
                      BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X