This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet Memorial in Vienna

Recently on a trip to Vienna I visited the Soviet memorial dedicated in Aug 1945. Here are some pictures I took of it:

Here is written:

Memorial for soldiers of Soviet Army that died liberating Austria from fascism April 1945.

Sculptor - M.A. Entzarjan

Architect - S.G. Jakovlev

Memorial opened 19 August 1945

Anthem lyrics then:

"From this moment forward over Europe there will be a great flag of liberty flying and peace for all people." - /Stalin/

Guards you served your mother land loyally
    From the walls of Stalingrad you came to Vienna
    For happiness and for people you gave your lives away
    Far from your native Soviet land
    Honor for you brave
    Russian Soldiers
    You're immortal*
    Courageously you died for something good*
    Sleep well
    People will never forget you

*It was hard to translate these two lines - perhaps someone can help?

Кто там?
    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Aug 45 and to build something like that in the middle of a ruined Europe. pompous
    . Didn't they have more important things to spend the money on then?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
      Aug 45 and to build something like that in the middle of a ruined Europe. pompous
      I think it matches the scale of events well enough. No need for bean counting here.
      www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
        You're immortal*
        Courageously you died for something good*

*It was hard to translate these two lines - perhaps someone can help?
        It's translated as:

Your immortality raises above you
        Valiantly fallen
        Sleep well
        www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

At that period the Soviets erected new monuments to Lenin, Stalin and to other top communists/events intead of destroyed ones in every city, town and almost in every village of the USSR when tens of millions of Soviet citizens could barely feed themselves and lived in temporary shelters. Vienna memorial is trifle in comparison with the Soviet ideological monumentalism in the USSR.

Comment

You know, I posted these pictures because I thought it was a nice monument dedicated to soldiers that died fighting in the greatest world conflict in history. I didn't intend for it to be "look how pompous the evil Soviets were" or a discussion about that. It isn't a monument to Stalin or to any political ideology. It isn't even in a country that was part of the "Eastern Bloc."

Soldiers deserve nice memorials, especially soldiers that fought in this war.
            Кто там?

Comment

pompous..Didn't they have more important things to spend the money on then?
              it would have been a drop in the bucket to spend this amount of money on anything else.

Comment

You know, I posted these pictures because I thought it was a nice monument dedicated to soldiers that died fighting in the greatest world conflict in history. I didn't intend for it to be "look how pompous the evil Soviets were" or a discussion about that. It isn't a monument to Stalin or to any political ideology. It isn't even in a country that was part of the "Eastern Bloc."

Soldiers deserve nice memorials, especially soldiers that fought in this war.
                Once posted you have little power to guide were and how it goes. If you did you would only end up talking to yourself.

Another point. I know of no place in Western Europe were like memorials were erected. The West was spending money on rebuliding.

Comment

I know of no place in Western Europe were like memorials were erected
                  - coz it isn't Western Europe that won the war. it is Russia that won it .

Comment

Once posted you have little power to guide were and how it goes. If you did you would only end up talking to yourself.

Another point. I know of no place in Western Europe were like memorials were erected. The West was spending money on rebuliding.
                    Big deal what the Soviets spent money on directly after the war, who cares what they spent money on in 1945.. hell the thing was probably pre-fabbed in in 1944 or early 1945... and in reality probably didn't cost all that much. Point being - it is a nice monument. I have no love for Stalin, his policies, or the system of government that the Soviet Union had, but this constant criticism of every minute detail and refusal to acknowledge anything good or nice is a bit tiresome.

If you want to talk about how evil Stalin and the Soviet Union were there are about 400 other threads on this forum about that. No need to do it in a thread with pictures of a memorial for soldiers who died fighting a war for their country. Regardless of the country they were from.
                    Кто там?

Comment

Soviet War Memorial (Tiergarten) was also erected in 1945.

Kind regards
                      Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                      * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                      * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Comment

Also here is from Bratislava:

And the Statue of Liberty in Budapest

Minus this guy:

Кто там?

Comment

Thanks for posting Stryker 19K30. I salute the Soviet soldiers.

Comment

Big deal what the Soviets spent money on directly after the war, who cares what they spent money on in 1945.. hell the thing was probably pre-fabbed in in 1944 or early 1945... and in reality probably didn't cost all that much. Point being - it is a nice monument. I have no love for Stalin, his policies, or the system of government that the Soviet Union had, but this constant criticism of every minute detail and refusal to acknowledge anything good or nice is a bit tiresome.

If you want to talk about how evil Stalin and the Soviet Union were there are about 400 other threads on this forum about that. No need to do it in a thread with pictures of a memorial for soldiers who died fighting a war for their country. Regardless of the country they were from.

BS

Then erect them in Russia. Nice monument???? Matter of taste.

who cares what they spent money on in 1945
                            The people in the countries that they occupied maybe? Many with out housing or adequate food, maybe. What other purpose than to show the people that they won. I guess the Austrains wouldn't realize that with out these monuments. Have you seen the huge one that the Americans erected in Tokyo? Very impressive.

HP

Comment

BS

Then erect them in Russia. Nice monument???? Matter of taste.

The people in the countries that they occupied maybe? Many with out housing or adequate food, maybe. What other purpose than to show the people that they won. I guess the Austrains wouldn't realize that with out these monuments. Have you seen the huge one that the Americans erected in Tokyo? Very impressive.

HP

It is 2009 not 1945, the money is spent already. about the past all you want, it won't change it.

What is the purpose other than showing the people they won? I guess you missed the names of the Soviet soldiers that were killed there, and buried there. So I guess the purpose would be a memorial to them.
                              Кто там?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X