No announcement yet.

Contacting David M. Glantz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the historical context is exactly what I am talking about. Right now we do not have it. We only have partial information and that distorts our understanding.

Using General Zhukov as an example, it would be wonderful to have access to his:
    •Diaries and or notes from the war.
    •All the orders he sent out, with date and time.
    •Meetings with list of attendees and transcripts if possible.
    •All commands from Stalin. This would have had a huge effect on how Zhukov acted.
    •Information about Soviet troops, movements, losses, weapons production, supplies, and so on.
    •Intelligence reports on German forces and actions. What did Stalin, Zhukov and STAVKA know about what the enemy was doing.
    •Any other similar information from other generals and or political figures.

If we had this or even part of this information (I know this is not possible), our views of General Zhukov would be different.

I have the feeling we would be surprised how much Zhukov achieved despite all the interference and limitations placed upon him. His status, as a general, would most likely be enhanced.

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
      - but what about the historical context?... without it we end up like those critical of, for example, the Holy Inquisition today
      Context is important, but understanding what was planned, whether the plans worked, and whether they cost too much in their execution are the key points. Rhzev doesn't hold up, while Stalingrad--the whole thing despite the May 1942 Soviet disaster, Moscow, Kursk, Bagration etc. etc do.

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
        understanding what was planned, whether the plans worked, and whether they cost too much in their execution
        - but understanding of the above mentioned can only lead us away from understanding wars like the 2nd World War as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
          - but understanding of the above mentioned can only lead us away from understanding wars like the 2nd World War as a whole.
          How can understanding the campaigns and battles keep us from understanding the whole war?
          What was the purpose of Mars?
          Was it done? Was the cost too much whether it succeeded or not?
          Knowing all of that gives a perspective on the rest of the war.
          If too many or not enough resources were used or used up, that would affect other fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharposhnikov View Post
            David Glantz's book on the failed Rzhev offensive is his best known, but his "Forgotten Battles" series of monographs hammers constantly on the point that there were whole campaigns on the eastern front that have been ignored by both western and Soviet (but, increasingly, not by modern Russian) historians. His Stalingrad trilogy that is coming out now makes the point - usually overlooked in the western histories of the Stalingrad campaign - that it was the constant grinding battles across Russia throughout July to September 1942 that wore the German Wehrmacht down, not just the fighting in the city itself. In other words, the Red Army and not just distance and Hitler's mistakes contributed to the German disaster right from the start of the campaign. This might seem obvious (to anyone who studies the Soviet-German war in detail) but I don't know of any other non-Russian language history of the 1942 campaigns that ever made that point.
            Finally, I have heard Glantz say on several occasions that there are other Soviet generals who deserve to be better known and better documented in the west in addition to Zhukov: a really good biography/military historical study of Rokossovskii is long overdue in English, (been there, done that!)
            I big ol' HELL YES on all counts. Roko is my favorite Red Army General, and one I would like to know more about.

And, was Glantz's book the inspiration of that mini-series about Rzhev? The one that got supressed, and by that has become famous in it's own right?

I found the book fascinating because if the mistakes made, ones that did not show up in later operations. It's a learning experience, one that shows that maxims like "If you find steel, withdraw. If you find mush, proceed." were earned, not some sort of folksy wisdom passed down for who-knows-where.

Good to hear that in Russia, researchers are looking deeper and are interested in getting down to the truth.
            After all, the very word "research" means 'look again'. Hey... that's what Steven King told me....
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

FOR David Glantz

Уважаемый Господин David Glantz!
              Компания «Чародей-фильм» (Беларусь, Минск) готовит серию документальных фильмов о Второй мировой войне. Ваши исследования и публикации по Восточному фронту, прекрасное знание русского языка вызывают у нас глубокое уважение и восхищение. Было бы великолепно, если бы Вы согласились принять участие в наших фильмах в качестве эксперта и дать интервью по интересующим нас темам. Речь идет об истории поставок вооружения и техники по ленд-лизу в годы Второй мировой войны, а также о роли «Линии Сталина-Молотова» в боях на территории СССР.
              В случае Вашего положительного ответа мы вышлем вам список вопросов, место и время встречи для записи интервью
              Будем рады любому отклику с Вашей стороны.

С уважением,
              координатор проектов Лилия Латогурская

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X