Ramming Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramming Attacks

I've heard that the Russians did ramming attacks with tanks and I've confirmed this but I thought I might share the fact that they also did ramming attacks with aircraft but kept the policy hush hush. I read about it in Russias Heroes:1941-1945 and found out that a Soviet Major was ordered to ram Power's U-2, obviously Powers was shot down by a SAM saving both of their lives.
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Re: Ramming Attacks

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
    I've heard that the Russians did ramming attacks with tanks and I've confirmed this but I thought I might share the fact that they also did ramming attacks with aircraft but kept the policy hush hush. I read about it in Russias Heroes:1941-1945 and found out that a Soviet Major was ordered to ram Power's U-2, obviously Powers was shot down by a SAM saving both of their lives.
    Power's U-2 was hit by anti-aircraft rocket. (together with soviet aicraft been hit by another one. Pilot was killed)
    I heard about another ram of American recon aircraft by soviet jet fighter over Armenia
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

These tactics go back to WWII, when Soviet pilots would either use their props to to clip enemy tails and wings, or to actually ram them dropping from above. I don't know how common it was, but apparently enough to get written about in more than one source.

Needless to say, it was akin to suicide, but many pilots did survive.

I recollect an artist's rendering of what looked like an I-16 (?, short stubby, radial engine monoplane), going nose first into the back of a German twin engine, probably a JU-88 or ME-110, been 30 years since I saw it, maybe even a Do-17.
      Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
        These tactics go back to WWII, when Soviet pilots would either use their props to to clip enemy tails and wings, or to actually ram them dropping from above. I don't know how common it was, but apparently enough to get written about in more than one source.

Nope, the first who used that tactics was Russian famous pilot Piotr Nesterov in 1914 who rammed Austrian Albatros plane. He had no chances to escape in contrary to WW2 times.
        I even have exact data when one pilot twice per one fight used ramming attack.

Needless to say, it was akin to suicide, but many pilots did survive.
        There existed two types of ram - "air" and "fire". If in air ram pilots had much chances (if they did attack from tail, but not in forehead) for escape in "fire" one - attacking ground targets with burning plane I know only one case when the pilot managed to stay alive after this....

I recollect an artist's rendering of what looked like an I-16 (?, short stubby, radial engine monoplane), going nose first into the back of a German twin engine, probably a JU-88 or ME-110, been 30 years since I saw it, maybe even a Do-17. [/B]

If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X