Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

316th Rifle Division December 1944

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 316th Rifle Division December 1944

    I am looking for detailed information on the operations of the 316th Rifle Division after its landing on the Western bank of the Danube on 4 December 1944 (Hungary/area South of Budapest).

    More specifically I am looking for information regarding the fights that took place on 11 December 1944 in the area called "Erd" / "Erdofalu", i.e. in the northern part of the bridgehead (south west of Budapest). I suppose that the 1077th Rifle Regiment of the 316th Rifle Division defended this sector.

    I do not understand Russian. I read a translation of the memoirs of colonel Chebotarev who took over the division after the former commander, colonel Voloshin, passed away (11 December 1944).

    Any help is welcome.

    Studiosus

  • #2
    Originally posted by studiosus View Post
    I am looking for detailed information on the operations of the 316th Rifle Division after its landing on the Western bank of the Danube on 4 December 1944 (Hungary/area South of Budapest).

    More specifically I am looking for information regarding the fights that took place on 11 December 1944 in the area called "Erd" / "Erdofalu", i.e. in the northern part of the bridgehead (south west of Budapest). I suppose that the 1077th Rifle Regiment of the 316th Rifle Division defended this sector.

    I do not understand Russian. I read a translation of the memoirs of colonel Chebotarev who took over the division after the former commander, colonel Voloshin, passed away (11 December 1944).

    Any help is welcome.

    Studiosus
    I can see the division on my map.
    I also have all combat records of the 23rd Rifle Corps/46 Army
    but in any case they are in Russian...
    According to those records on Dec. 11 the 316th RD was in progress of replacement by troops of the 68th Guards Rifle Division

    By 20:00 troops of the division occupied:
    1075 Rfl. Reg. "L" letter of Lakihedi notation - hill. 107
    1077 Rfl. Reg. parried two counter-attacks of Germans at 8-30-14-00
    from Tarnok st. towards hill 121 by ~2 companies supported by aprox. 4 SP guns (each company)
    At 14-00 right wing of the regiment was attacked by enemy up to 2 battalions and up to 14 AFVs from
    northern outskirts of Zrd. The regiment was forced to retreat to outskirts of Zrd - hill 121.
    1073rd Rfl. Regt. - after been replaced by the 200th Gds. Rfl. regt./68th GRD was on march in Tekel area
    ...by one battalion took fight at 19.00 in southern outskirts of Zrd

    Regards
    Alex

    P.S. Probably Zrd must be treated as Erd
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by amvas View Post
      I can see the division on my map.
      I also have all combat records of the 23rd Rifle Corps/46 Army
      but in any case they are in Russian...
      According to those records on Dec. 11 the 316th RD was in progress of replacement by troops of the 68th Guards Rifle Division

      By 20:00 troops of the division occupied:
      1075 Rfl. Reg. "L" letter of Lakihedi notation - hill. 107
      1077 Rfl. Reg. parried two counter-attacks of Germans at 8-30-14-00
      from Tarnok st. towards hill 121 by ~2 companies supported by aprox. 4 SP guns (each company)
      At 14-00 right wing of the regiment was attacked by enemy up to 2 battalions and up to 14 AFVs from
      northern outskirts of Zrd. The regiment was forced to retreat to outskirts of Zrd - hill 121.
      1073rd Rfl. Regt. - after been replaced by the 200th Gds. Rfl. regt./68th GRD was on march in Tekel area
      ...by one battalion took fight at 19.00 in southern outskirts of Zrd

      Regards
      Alex

      P.S. Probably Zrd must be treated as Erd
      Many thanks for that!

      This is indeed very interesting. Considering the context, it would make sense to treat "Zrd" as "Erd" . Your information seems to confirm that the 1077th rifle regiment was defending the area of Erd on 11 December 1944. Tarnok is located approx. 5 km west from Erd and there is on the map a point 121 halfway between Tarnok and Erd.

      Is it right to interprete the combat records as distinguishing three (counter)attacks against the 1077th rifle regiment on 11 December 1944 as follows:

      - one attack at 8.30 am from Tarnok area towards hill 121,which was successfully repulsed by the 1077th rifle regiment
      - another attack at 2 pm from Tarnok area towards hill 121, which was also successfully repulsed by the 1077th rifle regiment
      - another attack at 2 pm in the area of Erd (ie Zrd), which broke through, forcing the right wing of the 1077th rifle regiment to retreat towards hill 121 and the outskirts of Erd (Zrd).

      I assume that the reference to "AFVs" as far as the third attack is concerned, means that the combat records do not explicitly identify the attacking vehicles as SP guns or tanks.

      I assume the term "up" is to be understood as meaning "approximately".

      I do not understand the sentence "...by one battalion took fight at 19.00 in southern outskirts of Zrd" in this context. Does this refer to an engagement of the 68th GRD in the area of Erd (Zrd)?

      "Lakihegy" and "Tököl" are vicinities located on the Csepel island, which faces "Erd" (thus, they are on the other side of the Danube, from which the landing took place).

      I am sorry to bother you with so many questions.

      I would be interested in obtaining a translation as accurate as possible with accurate identification of the source of the part concerning 1077th rifle regiment on 11 December.

      Are strengths/casualties from the regiment also referred to?

      Studiosus

      Comment


      • #4
        I found on youtube an amateur film showing the area of the brick factory close to Erd (Western bank of the Danube). The film was shot from the western bank. This is the area where the landing of the 316th rifle division took place. One can better understand the difficulties of the landing by watching the film. The chimney belongs to the ruins of the brick factory which was built before WW2. The church that can be seen later on is in the vicinity of Erd.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_83ZKxWk6E

        Last edited by amvas; 27 May 09, 10:32.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by studiosus View Post
          Many thanks for that!

          This is indeed very interesting. Considering the context, it would make sense to treat "Zrd" as "Erd" . Your information seems to confirm that the 1077th rifle regiment was defending the area of Erd on 11 December 1944. Tarnok is located approx. 5 km west from Erd and there is on the map a point 121 halfway between Tarnok and Erd.

          Is it right to interprete the combat records as distinguishing three (counter)attacks against the 1077th rifle regiment on 11 December 1944 as follows:

          - one attack at 8.30 am from Tarnok area towards hill 121,which was successfully repulsed by the 1077th rifle regiment
          - another attack at 2 pm from Tarnok area towards hill 121, which was also successfully repulsed by the 1077th rifle regiment
          - another attack at 2 pm in the area of Erd (ie Zrd), which broke through, forcing the right wing of the 1077th rifle regiment to retreat towards hill 121 and the outskirts of Erd (Zrd).
          It's not so clear, because I have a few pages of documents, which differs in some details. Not much though.

          Operative report of the 23rd Rifle Corps 24.00 hrs Dec. 11:

          At 10:00 up to 1.5 battalions of infantry supported by tank fire
          attacked from Shandor to Ledes.<...>
          At 10-40 from the same area another attack took place by forces up to
          infantry battalion and 4 tanks.
          At 11-00 an infantry company and 6 tanks attacked the hill 121 from Tarnok.
          All attacks were parried.
          At 17-00 the second attack took place from Tarnok station towards the hill 121
          by up to infantry company supported by 4 SP guns. THis attack was parried.
          At 14-00 from the northern part of Zrd two infantry battalions performed an attack.
          At a price of high casaulities the enemy managed to capture the southern part of Zrd.




          I assume that the reference to "AFVs" as far as the third attack is concerned, means that the combat records do not explicitly identify the attacking vehicles as SP guns or tanks.
          Yes, no other detailes about them

          I assume the term "up" is to be understood as meaning "approximately".
          No, "approximately" means +- some figure. For example 10+-5 means from 5 to 15
          While "up to" means not more than. i.e. "up to 10" means 1,2,3...10


          I do not understand the sentence "...by one battalion took fight at 19.00 in southern outskirts of Zrd" in this context. Does this refer to an engagement of the 68th GRD in the area of Erd (Zrd)?
          I omitted some part of sentence.
          Ok, more exactly it sounds:

          The 1073rd Rfl. Regt. after been replaced by troops of the 200th Gds. Rfle. Regt/68th GRD
          was performing march to Tekel area, where by one battalion crossed the Danube river.
          By 20:00 the regiment takes the line:
          2 battalions in Tekel area ready for crossing the river to its western side. By one battalion it took fight at the southern outskirts of Zrd

          "Lakihegy" and "Tököl" are vicinities located on the Csepel island, which faces "Erd" (thus, they are on the other side of the Danube, from which the landing took place).
          hope now it's more clear

          I am sorry to bother you with so many questions.



          I would be interested in obtaining a translation as accurate as possible with accurate identification of the source of the part concerning 1077th rifle regiment on 11 December.
          I hope I translated enough accurate
          If you need to get original records of the division, or regiment, it's another story...

          Are strengths/casualties from the regiment also referred to?
          It must be another sort of document, which I have no on hands

          Regards
          Alex
          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

          Comment

          Latest Topics

          Collapse

          • casanova
            Israel Army
            by casanova
            The Israelian Army stationed all airdefencesystens, tanks and soldiers on the Liban and Syrian border. The Iran wants to attack Israel. Arabian terrorists...
            Yesterday, 23:15
          • fastidiousboy
            The best war games on PC
            by fastidiousboy
            Which war games are worth your time? It’s a tricky question to answer since war is sort of the default here in the world of PC gaming. The fighting...
            Yesterday, 20:11
          • fastidiousboy
            Hello everyone
            by fastidiousboy
            Hello everyone, I am Huynh. I am 23 years old. I am an office worker.
            Today I will show you a way to relieve stress in the office without the medicine...
            Yesterday, 20:02
          Working...
          X