Defense of Sevastopol question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense of Sevastopol question

So I'm in the midst of reading David Glantz's new book, the first of the Stalingrad trilogy, and there's a mention of Sevastopol being reinforced by the 138th and 142 Rifle Brigades (June 12 and 23-26). The problem I have is that these two formations supposedly constituted 23,500 men, that seems a little much for mere Rifle Brigades, especially since two divisions would hardly contain that many men. Can anyone point to a source that either confirms or contradicts this?
    "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
    "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
    "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
    So I'm in the midst of reading David Glantz's new book, the first of the Stalingrad trilogy, and there's a mention of Sevastopol being reinforced by the 138th and 142 Rifle Brigades (June 12 and 23-26). The problem I have is that these two formations supposedly constituted 23,500 men, that seems a little much for mere Rifle Brigades, especially since two divisions would hardly contain that many men. Can anyone point to a source that either confirms or contradicts this?

You may find your answer in this thread, Kunikov

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=11279

EDIT:

142 Rifle Brigade

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
    To the end of 30 June Sevastopol Defense district had following units, which were partially battle-worthy:
    109th Rifle Div (near 2000 men), 142nd Rifle Brigade (near 1500 men), four combined battalions, composed from remainders of broken unit, artillery regiments of coast defense, flak system and Air Forces of Black Sea Fleet (near 2000 men). They had light infantry weapon, some mortars and light guns.
    Last edited by Skoblin; 22 May 09, 01:15.

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
      You may find your answer in this thread, Kunikov

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=11279

EDIT:

142 Rifle Brigade
      Thanks John, I think 2,500 is probably what was meant, I e-mailed Glantz asking if this is so (perhaps if there's another edition published this mistake can be corrected).
      "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
      "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
      "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
        I can remember the 142nd Naval Rifle Brigade to be the last reinforcement unit sent to Sevastopol. (2150 men arrived)
        It lost at at least one battalion on "Bezuprechnyi" destroyer sank by German aviation

Read
        http://www.wreck.ru/3-4/51.html
        http://www.osevastopole.ru/34/
        http://www.soldat.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2960
        If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
          I can remember the 142nd Naval Rifle Brigade to be the last reinforcement unit sent to Sevastopol. (2150 men arrived)
          It lost at at least one battalion on "Bezuprechnyi" destroyer sank by German aviation

Read
          http://www.wreck.ru/3-4/51.html
          http://www.osevastopole.ru/34/
          http://www.soldat.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2960
          Thanks Alex. I read through the first and last link, very interesting, a veteran living in South America. Also very sad to read about the losses, naval infantrymen, young girls (assistant medical personnel), etc.

Comment

Got a response from Glantz. The number of reinforcements is correct but the reference to only 2 Brigades is not, they were only two formations among a host of other reinforcements.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
              Adults Rashid Dostur
              by casanova
              The Warlord Abdul Rashid Dostur came back to Afghanistan and was promoted to military marshal by the Afghanian president Ashraf Ghani. ...
              Today, 00:48
            • casanova
              Alouette III
              by casanova
              The military helicopter Alouette Iii will be staioned off duty in 1923 because of oldness by the Austrian airforce. The Austrian airfoce wants to buy...
              Today, 00:22
            • casanova
              Israel Army
              by casanova
              The Israelian Army stationed all airdefencesystens, tanks and soldiers on the Liban and Syrian border. The Iran wants to attack Israel. Arabian terrorists...
              Yesterday, 23:15
            Working...
            X