X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Schwamberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cicero View Post
    The Allies had operation Pluto which eventually laid down pipes and hoses from England to Normandy to the Rhine to deliver fuel to the advancing American and British Army's.
    PLUTO (Pipe Line Under The Ocean) was important, as were the extentions across France. The bulk of the fuel was delivered via ship & then by truck. As the French Belgian railroads were restored they were used as the primary method between the ports and the army level depots. Cannal and river barges were also used, but the restoration of the French/Belgian water transport system was a bit slow. I suspect that if Andrey checks his sources he will find the railroads were the princiiple transport from the refinerys to the operational distribution points. I also recall photographs of fuel tanker barges on the rivers in the USSR.

Rail transport and barges are enormously more efficient than automotive transport. Generally automotive transport of supply becomes undesirable beyond 600 to 800 kilometers and impractical beyond 1000 to 1200 km.

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    In the Vistula-Oder Operation in January 1945 the advancing Soviet troops used trucks to refuel and widely used captured German fuel.

Leave a comment:

• redsoldier
    replied
    Not only that, but the pipes would have been an easy, non-moving target for the Luftwaffe. No fuel means no advance, so the Germans would have loved to nail a pipeline - so it was probably avoided whenever possible.

Leave a comment:

• Sharposhnikov
    replied
    Part of the build up for the final offensive against Berlin in 1945 included building a fuel pipeline across Poland to supply the four massed tank armies in 1st Belorussian and 1st Ukrainian Fronts. I think similar supply pipelines were laid as part of the build up for the Bagratian offensive against AG Center in 1944, but I'm not certain that any were used earlier to support regular offensive operations. The Ladoga line,I believe, was part of the supply effort supporting Leningrad factories, Leningrad city, and the Leningrad Front, so was practically a strategic asset rather than a tactical/operational supply effort.

Leave a comment:

• amvas
    replied
    Originally posted by Cicero View Post
    The Allies had operation Pluto which eventually laid down pipes and hoses from England to Normandy to the Rhine to deliver fuel to the advancing American and British Army's. The question here is how did the Soviets deliver fuel to the Red Army as it advanced to Berlin?
    Trucks? Barrels? Pipe and hoses? How did the Soviet Army get fuel delivered in WWII?
    http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/g...ial_refuel.htm

Besides fuel trucks often an ordinary trucks could be used for transporting of fuel (in necessity) in barrels

The main way for transporting of fuel in large amounts was of course the railroad.

Pipelines were used in inland areas, which were far away from fights.
    I can remember only one case, when the pipeline was used in frontline area - it was athe pipeline across the Ladoga lake

Regards
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• Cicero
    started a topic Soviet Fuel Delivery?

Soviet Fuel Delivery?

The Allies had operation Pluto which eventually laid down pipes and hoses from England to Normandy to the Rhine to deliver fuel to the advancing American and British Army's. The question here is how did the Soviets deliver fuel to the Red Army as it advanced to Berlin?
    Trucks? Barrels? Pipe and hoses? How did the Soviet Army get fuel delivered in WWII?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X