Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siege of Leningrad

Hi:

I am planning my next trip to NARA and the Library of Congress in early April.
    I have been working on the North African Campaign but I am considering switching to the Siege of Leningrad. I have defined 215 microfilm rolls for 45of the German units taking part in the battles surrounding Leningrad from September 1941 until January 1944.

I would like to get some input on the amount of interest in the relevant Russian topo maps, unit maps, and aerial photographs for these battles.

Regards,

John Calvin
    www.wwii-photos-maps.com
    Stranger! To Sparta say, her faithful band,
    Here lie in death, remembering her command.

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Hi John

That sounds to be very interesting and something I might be into looking at if you post them up once you are done.

Cheers, thanks for the effort and the topo maps would be very well recieved by me, and hopefully others here as well.

Cheers

Tom

Comment

Some of the bloodiest battles took place outside Leningrad, I cannot recall the "swamp area" but, it would be interesting to see the German side of it.
      "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
      "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
      "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

The Thousand Days described life in the city but I would be most interested in the military depositions in and around Leningrad.
        Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

Comment

I read the book "Blood Red Snow" which gave the perspective of a German supplyman who would run things into Stalingrad from outside the city. He then gave a good account of the panicked flight from the Russian army overtaking the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
            I read the book "Blood Red Snow" which gave the perspective of a German supplyman who would run things into Stalingrad from outside the city. He then gave a good account of the panicked flight from the Russian army overtaking the city.
            That's very interesting, but we are talking about the seige of Leningrad, not Stalingrad.

Comment

The poster, Kunikov, above me spoke of an interest in the fighting from a German perspective, and that is what induced my post regarding the book, "Blood Red Snow" joea.
              Last edited by Cicero; 26 Mar 09, 03:44.

Comment

if you want info on leningrad just google leningrad and see what you find
                Oh Sure The Old Man's Off His Rocker If Grampa Says He's Dead He Must Be Alive
                Grampa Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                  The poster, Kunikov, above me spoke of an interest in the fighting from a German perspective, and that is what induced my post regarding the book, "Blood Red Snow" joea.
                  My interest was in the German fighting outside of Leningrad, not the general perspective of German soldiers on the Eastern Front.
                  "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
                  "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
                  "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by killemall View Post
                    if you want info on leningrad just google leningrad and see what you find
                    Scholarly research extends to beyond the bounds of 'google it.'

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
                      And THAT is my favorite quote of the day!

Paul Carrel gave many vivid accounts of the action around Lenningrad, his books are one of the only studies of the war that gives the subject it's share of chapters.

The Spanish Blue Division also spent it's time on the front in that area, you might want to look into their archives, few people have so far.
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

My first good weapons book said the PPS was designed in sealed off Leningrad to be made by workers with garage tools, sawing 91/30 barrels in half to create two submachine gun barrels. I would love it if I had access to a well-stocked garage where I might be able to work on making a PPS-43.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Cicero; 27 Mar 09, 05:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                          And THAT is my favorite quote of the day!

Paul Carrel gave many vivid accounts of the action around Lenningrad, his books are one of the only studies of the war that gives the subject it's share of chapters.

The Spanish Blue Division also spent it's time on the front in that area, you might want to look into their archives, few people have so far.
                          Yup that's my new sig for awhile (unless Kunikov disagrees). The Blue division, tha'ts some forgotten history right there.

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
                            Yup that's my new sig for awhile (unless Kunikov disagrees). The Blue division, tha'ts some forgotten history right there.
                            There is already a book that's been out on the Blue Division for a while, reprinted a few years ago. Pretty good read actually.

Kunikov doesn't disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
                              well put!

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                              Yes. In his Hitler moves East, 1941-1943 he has an entire chapter on the failed attempt of the 2nd Shock Army under General Vlasov to break through the Volkhov front and relieve Leningrad. His Scorched Earth also has a good account of the fighting involved in the 2nd Battle of Lake Ladoga. Carell has been accused of giving undue credence to German accounts of the fighting, but his writing style is gripping and vivid. I believe his real name was Paul Schmidt and used to be involved with the publication of the German military propaganda magazine Signal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X