Amazing Soviet War Paintings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road of Life paintings

All of these three paintings were photographed by me in the Road of Life Museum in Osinovets. The fourth one was scanned from the "Memorial ensemble "Road of Life" brochure.

Traffic controller on the Road of Life

The caption says: "Sergeant S.E. Gorgul, pilot of the 4th Guards fighter regiment, writing his last farewell note to the Leningraders in blood at his downed plane on the ice of Ladoga lake. 1942"

www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Great Soviet Panoramic pictures in the Great Patriotic War museum in Moscow

http://savok.name/217-panoramy.html
      www.histours.ru

Comment

to everyone , thank you again for sharing such rich history, it is indeed a honour to be able to see such artwork depicting a great nation, things that most of us in the west probably wont see in our lifetime....

Comment

Pics from the Siege of Leningrad museum

Hopefully Photobucket won't consider these pics offensive too soon

At the museum's lobby a visitor faces three massive pictures of the leaders of the city's defence, each of them painted against the background of the forces or operations he was associated with:

Zhdanov, head of the Leningrad party executive committed (Road of Life in the background)

Admiral Tributs, (Red-Bannered Baltic Fleet)

Marshal Govorov, commander of the Leningrad front (June 1942 - 1944)

Well, the commander-in-chief. This portrait is hanging on the side wall. Interestingly enough, this museum was almost completely destroyed at his order and recreated only in 1989.

Pictures from the main exhibition:

Tanks on Moskovsky prospekt

Getting water from holes in the ice

Volunteers signing up to join People's Militia divisions

"Watering hole" in the middle of Nevsky prospekt

Poster made in 1944 - "Rostral columns - and total columns"
          www.histours.ru

Comment

Pictures and dioramas from the Rumyantsev mansion

Beside the main Siege of Leningrad museum there is amother one called the Rumyantsev mansion, which has a huge exhibition dedicated to the Siege.

"Bread ration cards lost"

Nevsky prospekt diorama (with this "watering hole" made by a shell explosion)

Leningrad in winter

These pictures were painted by a siege survivor: "He's stolen bread" and "Dystrofic"

"Hunger"

"Fighting on the Nevsky Bridgehead"

"Red flag over Oreshek fortress"

Arrival of the first train at Finlandsky railway station after the breakthrough of the Siege on February 7, 1943
            www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
              Hopefully Photobucket won't consider these pics offensive too soon
              Thx for posting those images.
              Also if you know, give sources where that photos were taken from.

If you have some problems with photobasket, use www.imageshack.us
              If you create an account there (free), they will never erase your images.

Regards
              Alex
              If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
                Also if you know, give sources where that photos were taken from.

If you have some problems with photobasket, use www.imageshack.us
                If you create an account there (free), they will never erase your images.

Regards
                Alex
                Thanks, Alex, I'll try imageshack. They were taken in the Rumyantsev Mansion, a branch of the St. Petersburg history museum. I wrote this in the post's title. Some of these pictures have little plaques with the names of their authors, some not. Next time I go there I'll try to look closer.
                www.histours.ru

Comment

Fantastic, I think that paintings can sometimes capture feelings and an ambiance in a way photographs cannot...

Comment

Very nice photos on first page!
                    Few things amazed me:
                    - they used different styles in those paintings. Not only modern 'heroic' style of the era
                    - second, you can see on those paintings that some artists have seen war first hand.

Comment

A few pictures by Solomon Boim (1899-1978). He served in the Baltic Fleet and in 1943-1945 he was the chief artist of the Baltic Fleet Political Directorate.

Road of Life

Cruiser "Kirov" opens fire

Bosun and a deck-boy

Master Sergeant N.I. Vetrov

Scout Ionov

And here is a work by another artist, Alexander Sokolov:

The Road of Life
                      www.histours.ru

Comment

All of this is awesome, thank you guys, there are also quite similar German paintings picturing Stalingrad fighting, I remember one depicting fighting for Mamayev Hill from the German point of view, printed in the "Signal" magazine

Comment

Originally posted by tank brigade View Post
                          All of this is awesome, thank you guys, there are also quite similar German paintings picturing Stalingrad fighting, I remember one depicting fighting for Mamayev Hill from the German point of view, printed in the "Signal" magazine
                          There is a huge painting depicting the last days of fighting for Mamayev Hill in the Artillery museum, I'll try to take a decent picture of it next time I go there.
                          www.histours.ru

Comment

More paintings from the Siege of Leningrad museum - part 1

These paintings were hung on the museum's walls and its maze-like placement of exibition stands prevented me from taking pictures from appropriate angles. I also had to find a place to put my tiny tabletop tripod on and this complicated matters too. Nevertheless, most pictures turned out to be of decent quality. Not all of them were signed and the babushka keepers were unable to tell me the authors' names. I used ---- when the original name of the picture couldn't be identified.

"Marshal Zhukov"

"Words of Farewell"

"The Return"

---- The Siege dinner

---- The Mother

---- Peterhof (or Strelna) landings

---- The Volunteers. This picture was inspired by a documentary chronicle filmed in August-September 1941 in Leningrad

---- Battleship "Marat" repulsing a German air raid

"Baltic fleet sailors landing on Elmholm island" (part of the Defence of Hanko peninsula)

---- "Marat" or "October Revolution" battleship shelling German positions

---- Nighttime Neva crossing at the Nevsky Bridgehead

---- Evacuation across the Ladoga lake
                            www.histours.ru

Comment

Siege of Leningrad museum paintings. Part 2

Faithful to duty and honour
                              Defending their native lands
                              Alongside their fathers and brothers
                              Leningrad women march into battle

---- School class during the Siege

"Truck with corpses at Smolenskoye Lutheran cemetery"

"Neva crossing in the area of Maryino village" January 12, 1943, around noon

"Road of Life"

"Execution"

"Sturmoviks"

---- Pilots bidding last farewell to their comrade.
                              Pity there was no way to put a tripod anywhere to get a more or less decent angle and it's forbidden to use flash there. Note the burning plane and firefighters in the background.

"Crushing defeat of the German landing on Suho island"
                              See my post on this operation: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=75855

---- Soviet soldiers in Berlin

"Figting in the Luga area"

"Calling fire on myself!"
                              Last edited by ShAA; 02 Dec 09, 03:55.
                              www.histours.ru

Comment

"Partisan train"
                                www.histours.ru

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Robi P.
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                  Today, 02:27
                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                • casanova
                                  Nuclear battleheads.
                                  by casanova
                                  A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                  Yesterday, 23:58
                                Working...
                                X