Silesia front line in April 1945 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silesia front line in April 1945 ?

Can anybody help me identify the front line between Soviet and German forces between Breslau and the Sudeten Mountains please ?

I know from a Kz inmate at an armaments factory just east of Opole that the German's did not abandon the factory until 19 April 1945.

Breslau (Wroclaw) did not surrender until 6-7th May 1945.

My own research indicates the German 17th Army still held the area around Walbrzych until 5 May 1945.

Anyone out there can shed more information please ?
    My amatuer websites (still works in progress)

http://sites.google.com/site/junkersju390/home

http://sites.google.com/site/heinkel277/

https://sites.google.com/site/naziabomb/

Mmm.. A hard task.
    that period is well-covered by my map collection. But as usual, the problem is to find the proper bookюю

Ok, I guess that two schemes of the Nizhnesilezskaya offensive operation can help you a bit.
    They are not too detailed though...

If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Hey thank you Amvas. Because I can't read Cryllic could you please confirm the section of your chart which I have marked just so I can be sure it is identified properly ?

So the Nazis defended this area quite fiercely in April 1945 ?

I was reading about the first Ukrainian Front driving on Prague from Berlin and noticed how fast the advance was there. Did the Soviet armies simply ignore the Sudeten hills or did they deliberately bypass this problem ?

My amatuer websites (still works in progress)

http://sites.google.com/site/junkersju390/home

http://sites.google.com/site/heinkel277/

https://sites.google.com/site/naziabomb/

Comment

Hi
        Originally posted by Simon_G View Post
        Hey thank you Amvas. Because I can't read Cryllic could you please confirm the section of your chart which I have marked just so I can be sure it is identified properly ?

Yep, it's Świdnica

So the Nazis defended this area quite fiercely in April 1945 ?
        Yes, it was captured only on May 6

I was reading about the first Ukrainian Front driving on Prague from Berlin and noticed how fast the advance was there. Did the Soviet armies simply ignore the Sudeten hills or did they deliberately bypass this problem ?

They rapidly crossed hills

Regards
        Alex

Comment

Btw, since that times much more detailed materials are available!...
          But they are too giant to be posted here

Comment

The maps show 1st Ukrainian Front's breakout from the Steinau and Brieg bridgeheads over the Oder in mid-February. The objectives were to isolate the German garrison in Wroclaw and to advance to the Neisse. Hence 1st Ukrainian Front's main effort was directed towards the west, with only limited resources available for an advance south and southwest towards the Czech border. Further to the southeast 4th Ukrainian Front was having a hard time battling its way west through Slovakia against First Panzer Army.
            1st Ukrainian Front did not have the resources to mount an offensive on its left flank until mid-March. By then Konev was ready to mount a double assault aimed at the Prudnik area that was intended to outflank much of Seventeenth Army. The northern force, which included 4th Tank Army and 21st Army, with 4th Gds Tank Corps and part of 5th Gds Army, was to attack southwest from the Grodkow area. The southern force of 59th Army, 60th Army and two supporting mechanised corps would strike west from the vicinity of Kedzierzyn-Kozle north of Raciborz. After four days several German divisions near Opole had been wiped out and during the last week of March Konevís forces took Nysa, Prudnik and Raciborz, and they advance to within 20km of Walbrzych. By then the frontline south and southwest of Wroclaw had stabilised somewhat as, during April, 1st Ukrainian Front was preoccupied with the offensive across the Neisse.
            Konev's offensive of 5 May was primarily concerned with the capture of Prague, and 1st Ukrainian Frontís main effort was directed down the Vltava on the Frontís right wing. But the whole of 1st Ukrainian Front was thrown into what was actually a hurriedly prepared offensive against Army Group Centre, which was already fending off ongoing offensives from 4th and 2nd Ukrainian Fronts. Against such enormous pressure,(more than twenty Soviet armies were involved) Army Group Centre's lines were pushed back everywhere; southwest of Wroclaw 21st Army took Walbrzych the next day, crossed the Czech border, and by 9 May had advanced around 70km to reach Jaromerz; on 21st Armyís right 31st Army, 52nd Army, 28th Army and Polish 2nd Army advanced a similar distance, breaking through the Sudeten defences into Czechoslovakia; on 21st Armyís left, 59th Army advanced a similar distance to the west from Nysa; and 4th Ukrainian Frontís armies advanced more than 100km from Ostrava, past Olomouc to the west of Mohelnice.
            "Freedom of thought is the only guarantee against infection of peoples by the mass myths, which, in the hands of treacherous hypocrites and demagogues, can be transformed into bloody dictatorships."
            Hero of the Soviet Union, Andrei Sakharov 1968

Comment

1st Ukranian Front

Hi:

http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/battleofberlin/

On my website you will find screen captures of 125 original maps of the 1st Ukranian Front fighting toward and in Berlin. The maps cover the time period you are interested in. These are the original maps not reprints. I have high resolution versions of the complete maps. They are available at no cost.

Regards,

John
              Stranger! To Sparta say, her faithful band,
              Here lie in death, remembering her command.

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

Originally posted by John Calvin View Post
                Hi:

http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/battleofberlin/

On my website you will find screen captures of 125 original maps of the 1st Ukranian Front fighting toward and in Berlin. The maps cover the time period you are interested in. These are the original maps not reprints. I have high resolution versions of the complete maps. They are available at no cost.

Regards,

John
                John,
                something tells me that maps originates from the site
                www.podvignaroda.mil.ru
                I have no ideas why they are split by you to many parts, but it would be fine if you give at least a link to original source if this one really was the mentioned site (and it's very close to be so)
                I know they have an awful index and even more awful search engine coupled with impossibility to link that gigabytes of info they had placed to their site...
                I myself already downloaded about 90Gb of information from them...

Regards
                Alex

Comment

Maps

Amvas:

I do not know anything about the site you refer to. The maps I have were received exactly as I display them with one exception. I did not include the original Russian archive index pages. I also cropped out the brown paper folders which were behind the index pages.

Regards,

John

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

Maps

Amvas:

BTW, the originals of these maps that are on my computer are each from 30MBs to 300MBs in size. What website do you think I copied these files from?

Regards,

John

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

Originally posted by John Calvin View Post
                      Amvas:

I do not know anything about the site you refer to. The maps I have were received exactly as I display them with one exception. I did not include the original Russian archive index pages. I also cropped out the brown paper folders which were behind the index pages.

Regards,

John
                      John, I don't know exactly the way you got those maps, but for me they originates from TsAMO and presents on the site I mentioned. The 1st UF in the course of the Berlin operation is one of that small number of funds, which is uploaded to that site. Your maps looks cropped, but what I can see tells me I'm right.

BTW, the originals of these maps that are on my computer are each from 30MBs to 300MBs in size. What website do you think I copied these files from?
                      John, as I have told you, I downloaded about 90Gb of maps and other pages from the mentioned site. Each map has 20-400Mb size!
                      So, you can see your range of sizes lays within this one.
                      Again I must say I don't know from where you got those maps, as somebody, who could had access to scanning of those maps in TsAMO could supply you with them. Also some of those materials are already uploaded in the net as separate materials by "leeches", who pumped them out (like myself.. he-he )
                      So, just letting you know their initial origin...

Regards
                      Alex

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X