This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 volume Army units in Active Army series

I just got an update from Eastview publishing.

They are currently negotiating to get a copy of the 36 volume series that has the Army units in the Active army.

I recommended that they initially sell the books individually on microfiche, THEN when the set is complete, sell both individual books and the complete set (probably on CD-ROM).

I also recommended a price, again depending on the size of each book, comparable to what George Nafziger sells his books for, abotu $20.00 each book.

I will let you know if I hear anything more.

Regards,

Craig Crofoot
    Search in the past, for there you will find your future.

Re: 36 volume Army units in Active Army series

Originally posted by Craig Crofoot
    I just got an update from Eastview publishing.

They are currently negotiating to get a copy of the 36 volume series that has the Army units in the Active army.

I recommended that they initially sell the books individually on microfiche, THEN when the set is complete, sell both individual books and the complete set (probably on CD-ROM).

I also recommended a price, again depending on the size of each book, comparable to what George Nafziger sells his books for, abotu $20.00 each book.

I will let you know if I hear anything more.

Regards,

Craig Crofoot
    Cool! :thumb:
    The only thing I can't do which is to pay $20 per book

but I hope, my friends will help me :bowdown:

Also I hope that the Eastview's quality will be better that their usual one
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Hmmm

Hi !

Gentlemen, how will you do with Copyrights ?

It's like a commercial using of these lists without permission of their authors.

Alexander
      Alexander

Comment

When we use the material in our files, so long as we list them as a source in our bibliography, we are ok as far as I know for copyrights. If we did not list them in the bibliography, then we would get into trouble.

As far as publishing them as they are by themselves is where the trouble lies, similar to if anybody publishes a straight translation of "Boevoi Sostav Sovetskii Armii". I believe you would have to contact the General Staff for permission.

Regards,

Craig

Comment

Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by RKKA
          Hi !

Gentlemen, how will you do with Copyrights ?

It's like a commercial using of these lists without permission of their authors.

Alexander
          I always try to avoid conflicts with copyright

If I get this in any way, I'm not going to publish this immediately....Only fragments and with proper references.
          All, as usual!

The main task to get this

Comment

When we use the material in our files, so long as we list them as a source in our bibliography, we are ok as far as I know for copyrights. If we did not list them in the bibliography, then we would get into trouble.
            So, any materials, for example from Eastview, are "clean", because you mentioned first source ?

Can I republish (for example translated) some purchased book just write "written by John Smith" ?

Do you trust for this company ?
            Do the Eastview have a necessary copyrights for purchasing these materials ?
            Do these materials have not a confidential level ?
            Alexander

Comment

Re: Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by amvas
              [B]I always try to avoid conflicts with copyright

If I get this in any way, I'm not going to publish this immediately....Only fragments and with proper references.
              All, as usual!
              There are two different situation:

1. I use some materials for personal need
              2. I use some materials for commercial need=I sell some materials

So, AMVAS, your site is a situation 1.

Otherwise (situation 2) - your sources must be pure clean
              Alexander

Comment

Alexander,

They published in microfiche "Boevoi Sostav Sovetskii" here in USA.

If you use books like you you use on your site for composition of Rifle Divisions during war, so long as it is mentioned in bibliogrpahy, it is ok.

Eastview does not sell "unclean" or "secret" material. They charge a high price in USA, but it sometimes worth it! Like "BSSA"
                They always ask Geberal Staff for permission to sell microfiche copies of books, and pay an advance on royalties to them.

Sometimes, their microfiche quality is bad, but you can ask for better copy and they provide it.

Craig

Comment

[B]Alexander,

They published in microfiche "Boevoi Sostav Sovetskii" here in USA.
                  I know it, so what ?

If you use books like you you use on your site for composition of Rifle Divisions during war, so long as it is mentioned in bibliogrpahy, it is ok.
                  It's not so clear.
                  Another example -
                  1. I bought some staff from the Journal of the Soviet Army and then sell it myself from my own site, but mention all sources (including JSA). Is it OK ?

2. I bought some staff from the Journal of the Soviet Army and then published it myself for free in my own site, but mention all sources (including JSA). Is it OK ?

Eastview does not sell "unclean" or "secret" material. They charge a high price in USA, but it sometimes worth it! Like "BSSA"
                  They always ask Geberal Staff for permission to sell microfiche copies of books, and pay an advance on royalties to them.
                  Who did you tell this ? I'm not sure.
                  General Staff is not a commercial or publishing firm.
                  Alexander

Comment

Eastview is the ones who told me this.

I know the GS is not a commercial or publishing firm.

Either there is a department within the General Staffr that handles these matters or Eastview actually goes to the IVI MO.

What is the publishing house that handles all of the material that comes from the MO?

Craig

Comment

Alexander,

Regarding your questions:

Both are ok. So long as you mention JSA in bibliography, you are ok.

If you are familar with Mr. Fugate, "Operation Barbarossa", he published a large amount of material without saying where he got them or what the source was.

He is now in VERY big trouble with original writer.

Craig

Comment

Eastview is the ones who told me this.

- Is it a secret file ?
                        - Oh, no ! It's from school library !

I know the GS is not a commercial or publishing firm.

Either there is a department within the General Staffr that handles these matters or Eastview actually goes to the IVI MO.

What is the publishing house that handles all of the material that comes from the MO?
                        It's very difficult to get a permission for use this materials in Russia. So, it seems to be fantastic (must read - unreal) to get a permission for puplishing it in USA
                        Alexander

Comment

Regarding your questions:

Both are ok. So long as you mention JSA in bibliography, you are ok.
                          I must conclude - you are not familiar with Copyright's Laws.
                          But you have to know it
                          Alexander

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Hmmm

There are two different situation:

1. I use some materials for personal need
                            2. I use some materials for commercial need=I sell some materials

So, AMVAS, your site is a situation 1.

Otherwise (situation 2) - your sources must be pure clean
                            Yes, as the policy of my site almost excludes getting profit for providing copies of books/articles (I use them only for exchange) hope I avoid conflicts with copyright. I ask for fee only if I compose and translate some materials for anybody, i.e. it's just like writing the article(s) myself

Comment

I must conclude - you are not familiar with Copyright's Laws.
                              But you have to know it
                              He doesn't sell information, he gives it free...

And what is reason of your question?

Do you afraid to use illegal information or do you care about rights of information owners?

You have to visit militera.lib.ru, you will be shocked by HUGE amount of free historical books here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X