Unexplained 40th Tank Brigade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexplained 40th Tank Brigade

I need help finding information about the 40th Tank Brigade during the time of the Stalingrad battle.

What IS known about this tank brigade:
    1. The 40th Tank Brigade was assigned to the 64th Army in July 1942
    2. It was then transferred to the 62nd Army, where it fought on the West bank of the Don River.
    3. It was the surrounded with Rifle Divisions of the 62nd Army and was almost certainly destroyed around 23-31 July 1942.

Most of the information about this brigade comes from V.I Chuikov’s books “The Beginning of the Road” & “Battle of Century”, and A.M. Samsonov book “Stalingrad battle”.

What is NOT known this tank brigade?
    1. When and where was the 40th Tank Brigade formed?
    2. When did it arrive in the Stalingrad area?
    3. Haw many tanks and troops did it have?
    4. Who was its commander?
    5. Was it destroyed in July 1942?
    6. Was the brigade ever reformed?

Any other useful information about this unit would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Unexplained 40th Tank Brigade

Originally posted by Dann Falk
    I need help finding information about the 40th Tank Brigade during the time of the Stalingrad battle.

What IS known about this tank brigade:
    1. The 40th Tank Brigade was assigned to the 64th Army in July 1942
    2. It was then transferred to the 62nd Army, where it fought on the West bank of the Don River.
    3. It was the surrounded with Rifle Divisions of the 62nd Army and was almost certainly destroyed around 23-31 July 1942.

Most of the information about this brigade comes from V.I Chuikov?s books ?The Beginning of the Road? & ?Battle of Century?, and A.M. Samsonov book ?Stalingrad battle?.

What is NOT known this tank brigade?
    1. When and where was the 40th Tank Brigade formed?
    2. When did it arrive in the Stalingrad area?
    3. Haw many tanks and troops did it have?
    4. Who was its commander?
    5. Was it destroyed in July 1942?
    6. Was the brigade ever reformed?

Any other useful information about this unit would be greatly appreciated.
    I can't tell you anything about this brigade but I can tell you that it was German practice not to reform destroyed formations. Instead reinforcements were formed into new formations with the old still retained in order to avoid having to explain the trmendous losses they took in fighting a war where Hitler insisted that no territory be given up for anny purpose.

Irv
    Irv Feldman

Comment

Dear Dann

From C. Sharpes OB books

Cheers

Bob

__"n~,~
      ~hT8nkBrlgade: Started forming October 1941 at Kharkov, was sent to Gorkiy in
      Moscow Military District to finish forming in December 1941 -January 1942.
      The brigade served as a support unit in 1st Shock Army briefly in late January
      -February 1942, then was sent to Slst Army in the Crimea in late February.
      40th Tank Brigade was caught in the disaster of May 1942, when most of Crimea
      Front was annihilated. A cadre of the brigade survived, and was evacuated to
      Stalingrad. There, in July 1942 the brigade was rebuilt and assigned to 64th
      Army. 40th Tank Brigade supported both 62nd and 64th Armies as they defended
      the approaches to Stalingrad. By the end of August 1942 the brigade was
      "fought out" and removed from the front. Sent back to Volga Military District,
      in October 1942 40th Tank Brigade was disbanded and its cadre used to form I
      separate tank regiments.

Sorry 'bout a few OCR errors

Comment

Great information! I only have 9 of Sharp’s OB books, which one did you find this info in, and what page number.

I looked at some maps from the Crimea fighting and found the 40th TB! Good Work.

I also found some other info on this unit. It looks like it was reformed again, after being destroyed in July 1942, on the right bank of the Don River. It was reformed on the left bank of the Don River, in the area of the 62nd Army.

Thanks Bob for the information.
        :thumb:

Comment

Dear Dann

It was from vol 1 - Deadly Beginning pg81

Cheers

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the update.

Volume #1, of course, I do not have. No wonder I had such a problem finding any information about the 40th TB. I wish Sharp would include a master index for all 12 volumes.

When performing military history research, it is very expensive trying to personally own all the pertinent materials. That is why I’m asking questions on this forum.

Thanks again for your help,

Dann

Comment

The pay record of the unit indicate that it was really formed around the 1st of Jan 42 (at least that is when the commander - Skornyakov) was assigned and it was removed from the books on 21 Sep 42 to create the 20th Guards Tank Regiment.

Sharp has good material but I have found some problems between him and the Russian records sometimes.
              "Give a soldier an anvil, just a hunk of metal, and drive him out into the desert and leave him. In two weeks - when you go to get him, the anvil will be broken."
              General Creighton Abrams on the need for a soldier proof tank.

Comment

Thanks for the updated info. Where did you find pay records for the 40th TB?

English vs. Russian records, now that is the real problem. Which one do you believe? I’m spending a great deal of time translating Russian documents into English so that I can get a better understanding of the material on hand (from Russian web sites). There is so much material and it all takes time to translate.

Another problem is what am I missing? Did I find all relevant books or articles that are on the web?

Comment

Look topic about 137th Tank Brigade here.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/116312?it=31

Comment

Thanks for the info Andrey, but I looked at all the pages of that Military Forum and could not find anything about the 137 Tank Brigade. Do you know what page and thread it was under?

Comment

Thanks for the info Andrey, but I looked at all the pages of that Military Forum and could not find anything about the 137 Tank Brigade. Do you know what page and thread it was under?
                      Hmm, as I understood links of that forum are not "hard". In that time when I wrote my message in that link was thread about 137th Tank Brigade.

Try to find it again, I remember that it was about 137th Tank Brigade. I suppose that it has to be in previous pages to the link which I gave and they deleted it as too old data. (may be there are archives???)

Ask Amvas to make direct question about 137th and 40th Tank brigades in that forum (I didn't understand how to make new threads in that forum).
                      Last edited by Andrey; 18 Oct 04, 19:03.

Comment

I found the info on the 137 Tank Brigade on that web site. It's on page 42 and talkes about the commander of the tank brigade.

Thanks again Andrey.

Comment

I found the info on the 137 Tank Brigade on that web site. It's on page 42 and talkes about the commander of the tank brigade.

Thanks again Andrey.
                          According this

http://mechcorps.rkka.ru/files/after...01_070_tbr.htm

40th Tank Brigade had only one commander - podpolkovnik Skornyakov Konstantin Vasilievich who was commander of 40th Tank Brigade from 01.01.42 to 01.10.42 (European system of time writing!, it means October, 1st). These dates can be considered date of creating and disbanding of this Brigade.

According this

http://mechcorps.rkka.ru/files/after...71_140_tbr.htm

137th Tank Brigade also had only one commander - podpolkovnik Udovichenko Kirill Stepanovich who was commander of 137th Tank Brigade from 25.05.42 to 26.10.42 (European system of time writing!).

Comment

Yes, I didn’t think of it in that way before, but it’s a great idea using the commander officer dates. I checked my sources for the 40 & 137 Tank Brigades and the dates of forming and disbanding agree. I used Sharp’s Volume 1 & 2, which cover both brigades.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X