X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amvas
    replied
    I'll close this thread.
    No wish to discuss Beevor's books. Especially after I read some his myths about raping of German women by Soviet soldiers during Berlin operation etc....

Leave a comment:

• Feldwebel Crin
    replied
    Originally posted by Trigger Happy

No nonsense garbage like in so many other books plus it's the only englishman I've read that is actually able to critic Churchill.
    I wouldn't agree with that. Beevor does critic Churchill in his books. In The Fall of Berlin, he blames all of the Big Three for the start of the Cold War.

Found Russia at War at Bookfinder. I can probably check it out at the Air University Library. I think it has the largest selection of books in any American air base. I know people from around the world come to study here.
    Last edited by Feldwebel Crin; 27 Jun 05, 13:22.

Leave a comment:

• amvas
    replied
    Originally posted by pp(est)
    Just a quick note. In order for Werth to be able to travel so widely in the Soviet Union at this time and in order for him to have access to all these people he must have had complete trust of the communist party. I'd keep this in mind when reading him.
    At the same time people who never been in the USSR/Russia often writes much nonsence. So I prefer to listen to those who at least visited our country. Though it can't guarantee from biassed opinions....

Leave a comment:

• dannybou
    replied
    Originally posted by Trigger Happy

Werth's books are always written from a journalistic point of view and wether he talks about France or the USSR, always in the same manner. No nonsense garbage like in so many other books plus it's the only englishman I've read that is actually able to critic Churchill. Read his other books on Russia and you can see that he was no communist-lover, but Russia-lover and that he indeed talks about some disgusting part of soviet history, though usually not in the same perspective. Anyway, just don't let pp(est) comments misguide you to think that he licked Stalin's a$$. He had not complete trust from the communist party neither though, of course, the soviets trusted him more than some other western journalists.
    And if I can add, the Soviets needed all the help they could get in 1941-1942, including western media. Whether he was liked or not by the Soviets is irrelevant. He reported as a reporter should have and did a superb job.

Leave a comment:

• Trigger Happy
    replied

Werth's books are always written from a journalistic point of view and wether he talks about France or the USSR, always in the same manner. No nonsense garbage like in so many other books plus it's the only englishman I've read that is actually able to critic Churchill. Read his other books on Russia and you can see that he was no communist-lover, but Russia-lover and that he indeed talks about some disgusting part of soviet history, though usually not in the same perspective. Anyway, just don't let pp(est) comments misguide you to think that he licked Stalin's a$$. He had not complete trust from the communist party neither though, of course, the soviets trusted him more than some other western journalists.

Leave a comment:

• pp(est)
    replied
    Just a quick note. In order for Werth to be able to travel so widely in the Soviet Union at this time and in order for him to have access to all these people he must have had complete trust of the communist party. I'd keep this in mind when reading him.

Leave a comment:

• dannybou
    replied
    Andrey said it well and if I can add also that Werth's book doesn't concentrate on OOB, military strategies etc... but is superb in covering the human side of the war.

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Feldwebel Crin
    One question- is it just a general history or something more in depth? I've been studying the Eastern Front since I was nine (which makes up for two-fifths of my life). I am also currently reading Gulag and Fighting in Hell.
    Werth was in USSR in 1941-45. He spoke with many Soviets - with generals and with ordinary soldiers, workers, civilians. He himself visited frontline very often.

A few examples:
    - Werth was in Leningrad and spoke with people who survived in blockade
    - Wetrth visited Stalingrad right after the surrender of Paulus's troops and spoke with Soviet and German (POWs) soldiers and officers, with Soviet civilians. Werth was in the press-conference with captured German generals which was organized by the Soviet Command for foreign journalists.
    - Werth visited liberated regions of USSR in 1943-44
    - Werth himself interviewed Marshal Rokossovskii in August (or September?) of 1944 about Warsaw Uprising and the actions of the Rokossovskii's troops in that direction.
    - in 1944 Werth visited the Polish troops which were organized and equipped by the Soviets, he spoke with a few Polish soldiers and officers of those troops
    - in 1944 Werth visited the liberated not too long time ago Crimea
    - and so on

So the book of Werth is a mixture of general info and his personal impressions and talkings with people.

Werth gives the description of all the battles in the Soviet-German Front and gives his impressions which were related to those events.

His description of the situation (morale) in the Soviet rears in 1941-43 is especially excellent.

He gives the common image of the actions and lets to look on the war by the eyes of a journalist who was there, by the eyes of a Soviet soldier and civilian with whom he spoke.

Leave a comment:

• Feldwebel Crin
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrey
    Buy Alexander Werth's Russia At War
    One question- is it just a general history or something more in depth? I've been studying the Eastern Front since I was nine (which makes up for two-fifths of my life). I am also currently reading Gulag and Fighting in Hell.

Leave a comment:

• dannybou
    replied
    If some of you want to buy Werth's book, do a search on bookfinder.com and you will see some for sale for about $2.

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    Originally posted by dannybou
    I agree with Andrey.
    It looks like here only Dannybou and I read Alexander Werth. And both we speak - buy it, you will not regret about it.

All the Western authors write approximately in the same way, there are a few rules and stamps which are widely used by them.

Alexander Werth writes in the other way.

If you will read Alexander Werth, you will know a lot of new facts and opinions, which you NEVER read before. It is VERY interesting book especially for a Westerner.

Leave a comment:

• dannybou
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrey
    I agree with Andrey.

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Feldwebel Crin
    Too bad I actually bought the book. I also have Fall of Berlin, which I think is great. Thinking of buying some of his other works.

Leave a comment:

• Feldwebel Crin
    replied
    Too bad I actually bought the book. I also have Fall of Berlin, which I think is great. Thinking of buying some of his other works.

Leave a comment:

• String
    replied
    Originally posted by amvas
    I have to remind pp(est),Andrey, String et.al
    that this thread is for discussion of Stalingrad book...

Take this as official warning
    Thanks for the reminder, this isn't really the place to discuss.. well .. stuff we have been discussing.

Anyway, I've read the book and it wasn't particularly memorable or special in my opinion. Lot's and lot's of small stories that the author tried to pull into a larger picture, and failed imho.

I wouldn't consider him pro-german/anti-soviet though.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X