Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad" for free ?

Antony Beevor's Stalingrad ( I've read it, and it's really as brilliant as all the reviewers say! )

Now I found this:

"Stalingrad" is avaiable for free here

I you can't read russian, just use Babelfish ( or some other internet translation service ) to translate the russian text to your language.
    ( Or learn russian )

So Beevor does not want to sell his books in Russia but gives them away for free on the net, ey ? :crazy:

Regards, Sven

Re: Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad" for free ?

Originally posted by Trommelfeuer
    Antony Beevor's Stalingrad ( I've read it, and it's really as brilliant as all the reviewers say! )

Now I found this:

I you can't read russian, just use Babelfish ( or some other internet translation service ) to translate the russian text to your language.
    ( Or learn russian )

So Beevor does not want to sell his books in Russia but gives them away for free on the net, ey ? :crazy:

Regards, Sven
    Yep, Militera is a brilliant site! I just downoloaded it all...
    Unfortunately I can't read books from the screen.....
    Too tired during doing this

I think Beavor even doesn't know that his book is published in Russian net :sleep:
    Pirates are our main trasure...
    If not them how did we read expencive books and use much more expensive software :bowdown:
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Re: Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad" for free ?

Now I found this:

( Or learn russian )

Regards, Sven
      Sven, "Stalingrad" is bad book.

I had long discussion about it in other forum (http://www.theblitz.org/message_boar...&i=7417&t=7417).

There are many other interesting "free" books in militera.lib.ru.

Comment

Sven, "Stalingrad" is a bad book.
        I've read through the discussion on the blitz.org - message board, but I have a different impression of the soviet defenders of Stalingrad than you after reading the book.

There are not only stories of russian cowards / deserters in Beevor's book, but also many stories about russian bravery, about volunteers etc...

examples:

"...The anti-aircraft battery crews were astonishingly resilient. According to Captain Sarkisyan, 'the girls refused to go down into the bunkers'. One of them, called Masha, is said to have 'stayed at her post for four days without being relieved', and was vredited with nine hits...." ( p. 108 )

"...Students from the technical university, digging trenches on the northern flank of the city, carried on although already under direct fire from 16th Panzer Division. Their faculty buildings near the Stalingrad tractor plant had been destroyed by bombs dropped in the first waves. The teaching staff helped form the nucleus of a local defense 'destroyer battallion'.
        One of the professors was a company commander. The battalion comissar was a young woman mechanic from the tractor plant, which had been converted to build T-34s. There, volunteers jumped into the tanks even before they had been painted...." ( p. 109 )

....etc.

Yea, it's really a great site!

Regards, Sven

Comment

I've read through the discussion on the blitz.org - message board, but I have a different impression of the soviet defenders of Stalingrad than you after reading the book.

There are not only stories of russian cowards / deserters in Beevor's book, but also many stories about russian bravery, about volunteers etc...
          You suppose that Beevor made not so bad image because Beevor's image of Red Army is not worse that usual image of Red Army and Russians in mind of west people.

But for Russians his image of Red Army is worse that it was in reality (according Russian opinion).

That things which will be OK according your opinion can be large outrage for Russians... Beevor is good example of this...

And it is especially right because there are other Western books which have better image of Red Army which are much closer to my image - books of Alexander Werth and "Operation "Barbarossa" of Alan Klark, for example.

And my image is based not only on Soviet propaganda but also and in after USSR-time data with negative information about Red Army. I know about bad things in Red Army but I suppose that such bad things were in much less scale like in Beevor's book who shows single bad facts like it was usual facts and who uses usual for West piblic stamps of Cold War time.

Comment

Re: Re: Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad" for free ?

Originally posted by Andrey
            Sven, "Stalingrad" is bad book.

I had long discussion about it in other forum (http://www.theblitz.org/message_boar...&i=7417&t=7417).

:nonono:

I must say that William Craig's "Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad" (published at about 1972) is far better and, to my knowledge, much more accurate.
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Alright, I'll try to get a better book!

Regards, Sven

Comment

Have to agree with Andrey here.

From the perspective of operational description of the battle, Beevor's book is simply useless -- there is no awareness of the larger operational context at all.

It is meant to be a human interest story (a genre I personally don't like). However, as a human interest story it is too biased. Most of it is written from the German point of view anyway.
                Kak nyne sbiraetsia veschii Oleg otmstit' nerazumnym ... well, you know who you are :)

Comment

Hey, guys, it os about "Enemy at the Gates".

My opinion - parody on Red Army.

Here is link on large discussion results about this movie in other forum.

Here is article which was base of discussion:
                  http://www.battlefield.ru/shame/enemy/enemy.html

Here is largest discussion in that forum:
                  http://www.theblitz.org/message_boar...&i=6915&t=6915

Comment

Wrong "Enemy..."

"Enemy at the Gates" the book (which I haven't read) has nothing to do with the movie. It's just a history book on the Battle of Stalingrad.

"Enemy at the Gates" the movie is based on a book called "The War of the Rats". That book was only slightly less nauseating than the movie. But at least it wasn't Russophobic.
                    Kak nyne sbiraetsia veschii Oleg otmstit' nerazumnym ... well, you know who you are :)

Comment

Originally posted by Oleg
                      Wrong "Enemy..."

"Enemy at the Gates" the book (which I haven't read) has nothing to do with the movie. It's just a history book on the Battle of Stalingrad.

"Enemy at the Gates" the movie is based on a book called "The War of the Rats". That book was only slightly less nauseating than the movie. But at least it wasn't Russophobic.
                      Yes, really, I mixed book and movie - :-(.

But I suppose that it is good idea to speak about this movie if we speak about image of Red Army in West people's mind.

Comment

Yes, really, I mixed book and movie - :-(.

But I suppose that it is good idea to speak about this movie if we speak about image of Red Army in West people's mind.
                        The image of the Red Army soldier is by and large a result of their behavior as they overran the eastern regions of Germany and East Prussia in 1945.
                        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersqn
                          The image of the Red Army soldier is by and large a result of their behavior as they overran the eastern regions of Germany and East Prussia in 1945.
                          Atrocities of Red Army in Germany are exaggerated, it is stamp of Cold War time.

Comment

Atrocities of Red Army in Germany are exaggerated, it is stamp of Cold War time.
                            There are numerous eyewitness accounts as well as physical evidence to support the claims.
                            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersqn
                              There are numerous eyewitness accounts as well as physical evidence to support the claims.
                              Who did count these evidences? Where is border between small, average, large and huge atrocities?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X