No announcement yet.

who has read Mark Harrison books here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who has read Mark Harrison books here?

check in this list pls :

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ec...rrison/public/

Some titles seems very interesting. For example :

Accounting for War: Soviet Production, Employment, and the Defence Burden, 1940-1945. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, Russian, Soviet, & Post-Soviet Studies. Hardback edition (xxxiv+338 pp) 1996. Awarded the Alec Nove Prize for 1997 by the British Association for Slavonic and East European Studies. Paperback reprint 2000.

The Economic Transformation of the Soviet Union, 1913-1945. Co-editor, with R.W.Davies (Birmingham) and S.G. Wheatcroft (Melbourne). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Hardback and paperback editions (xxxii+381 pp.) 1994.

The Soviet Home Front, 1941-5: a Social and Economic History of the USSR in World War II. With John Barber (Cambridge). London: Longman. Hardback and paperback editions (xiii+245 pp) 1991.

Soviet Planning in Peace and War 1938-1945. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Hardback edition (xiv+315 pp.) 1985. Paperback reprint 2000.

Wow.
    Some of those titles do look pretty interesting.

I'll have to check them out.
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
      Wow.
      Some of those titles do look pretty interesting.

I'll have to check them out.
      me too

But they are quite expensive so I'd like to know the one to buy first...
      Probably the "Accounting for War".

Comment

Mark Harrison has a pretty good reputation, and R.W. Davies who he co-edited on one title is another good historian known to me. Have not read any of the 3, gotta admit a weakness in economics but they look interesting.

Comment

Harrison is an excellent source. I have his 'accounting for war' and have used it as a reference for at least one paper I wrote, I'd highly recommend it.

I'd also recommend Richard Harrison's "The Russian Way of War"
          "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
          "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
          "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
            Harrison is an excellent source. I have his 'accounting for war' and have used it as a reference for at least one paper I wrote, I'd highly recommend it.

I'd also recommend Richard Harrison's "The Russian Way of War"
            Good.
            Could you tell me what is his point of view in these books, please?
            thanks
            Sergio

Comment

Originally posted by .sergio. View Post
              Good.
              Could you tell me what is his point of view in these books, please?
              thanks
              Sergio
              What do you mean point of view? The book is filled with facts and figures.
              "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
              "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
              "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

What do you mean point of view? The book is filled with facts and figures.
                I mean : what is his thesis, what he want show with all these facts and figures?

regards,
                Sergio

Comment

I mean : what is his thesis, what he want show with all these facts and figures?

regards,
                  Sergio
                  Soviet war time production.

Comment

Soviet war time production.
                    ok, this is clear also to me
                    But for example, is he saying that Soviet war time production was enough to allow USSR to resist or/and win even without Lend&Lease aid?

Comment

ok, this is clear also to me
                      But for example, is he saying that Soviet war time production was enough to allow USSR to resist or/and win even without Lend&Lease aid?
                      I don't remember him making such claims, I did not read the book from cover to cover, I used it as a reference. He simply presents production figures and goes into details about the economy, I doubt he entertains what if scenarios.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X