This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save the Elephant of Stalingrad !

I know, this sounds really crazy, but was there a russian "committee to save the elephant " in Stalingrad, winter 1943?

" An elephant from Stalingrad Zoo walked around in the ruins of the city and was seen by some russian and german soldiers.
    A very old soldier, Abramov founded the "comittee to rescue the elephant" and collected something to eat from the other soldiers, until a russian komissar took the "elephant food" away from him, 'cause the soldiers were too hungry...( ...the elephant was not seen again.. )
    "

I've read this story in a novel ( "Das Herz der 6. Armee" by Konsalik ), but it sounds so weird, it could be true!

Regards, Sven

The most unbelievable versions may occure to be true
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Re: Save the Elephant of Stalingrad !

Originally posted by Trommelfeuer
      I know, this sounds really crazy, but was there a russian "committee to save the elephant " in Stalingrad, winter 1943?

" An elephant from Stalingrad Zoo walked around in the ruins of the city and was seen by some russian and german soldiers.
      A very old soldier, Abramov founded the "comittee to rescue the elephant" and collected something to eat from the other soldiers, until a russian komissar took the "elephant food" away from him, 'cause the soldiers were too hungry...( ...the elephant was not seen again.. )
      "

I've read this story in a novel ( "Das Herz der 6. Armee" by Konsalik ), but it sounds so weird, it could be true!

Regards, Sven
      In this version image of "komissar" is bad like in West movies about WWII. It is more correct to say Russian officer or Russian commander.

I didn't hear about it but it can be true - (what is strange for you - elephant in the battlefield, commitee for elephanrt rescue or actions of Russian komissar - ;-))

Comment

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I just thought the story could be popular in russia, because it shows how the soldiers didn't loose their heart and shared the little food they had with an elephant who never came to get his food...anyway, it's a nice story!

"...The heart is what counts, comrades! How can we free our Fatherland if we have no hearts no more, ey ?
        War is war, but an elephant is an elephant.
        Imagine how it will be: a new city, a new zoo, and within as a veteran of the great patriotic war our elephant.
        One could say it is a symbol...
        "

In this version image of "komissar" is bad like in West movies about WWII. It is more correct to say Russian officer or Russian commander.
        In "Das Herz der 6. Armee" ( "The heart of the 6th Army" ) it is a political officer who takes the elephant food away...isn't that a komissar ?

Regards, Sven

( P.S. "Das Herz der 6. Armee" isn't all about weird stories like the one above, most of the time it's dead serious, from the perspective of german and russian soldiers. )

Comment

In "Das Herz der 6. Armee" ( "The heart of the 6th Army" ) it is a political officer who takes the elephant food away...isn't that a komissar ?
          Nope.

The insititute of commissars had been abolished a couple of months prior to the events in question (winter 43). The political officer would be a "zampolit" -- deputy commander for political work.
          Kak nyne sbiraetsia veschii Oleg otmstit' nerazumnym ... well, you know who you are :)

Comment

Ah, thanks a lot for the explanation! :thumb:

Regards, Sven

Comment

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I just thought the story could be popular in russia, because it shows how the soldiers didn't loose their heart and shared the little food they had with an elephant who never came to get his food...anyway, it's a nice story!

"...The heart is what counts, comrades! How can we free our Fatherland if we have no hearts no more, ey ?
              War is war, but an elephant is an elephant.
              Imagine how it will be: a new city, a new zoo, and within as a veteran of the great patriotic war our elephant.
              One could say it is a symbol...
              "
              I saw Soviet movie about soldier and elephant.

In Germany Soviet troopsfound Russian elephant which was moved in Germany by Germans.

Soldier got order to move elephant in his zoo in USSR. And itwas not so simple task...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X