X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Patriotic War - the main front of World War II

Great Patriotic War - the main front of World War II
    13:31 | 08/ 05/ 2008

MOSCOW. (RIA Novosti military commentator Ilya Kramnik) - The approaching Victory Day always evokes disputes about the bloodiest war in human history. One of the main issues is the sides' relative contribution to victory, primarily, in the European theatre, which all parties have acknowledged as the main battle ground of WWII.
    [...]

FULL ARTICLE - RIA NOVOSTI

Message Edited and link added
    Please try to respect ACG rule about copyright infrigement
    Next time full articles posted without a link will be deleted entirely
    (See Forum Rules/FAQ)

Boonierat

Last edited by Boonierat; 10 May 08, 07:09.

Originally posted by .sergio. View Post
    Great Patriotic War - the main front of World War II
    In it can be doubts?
    "In case of war guys in dark blue berets will be thrown in a mouth to an aggressor on purpose to break off this mouth"
    Vasily Margelov the father-founder of the Soviet airborne troops

Comment

Originally posted by SunCat View Post
      In it can be doubts?
      sadly, there are lot people that think that the war was won on the west front.

Comment

Well I agree, but some fo the figures are a bit misleading. There many more than 200 000 troops in Normandy than those taking part in Cobra. That was just the American offensive it ignores the Brits and Canadians...of course Bagration was huge and one of the most brilliant offensives of the war.

We've discussed airpower here...I don't think any one Ally destroyed the Luftwaffe, and certainly the German navy suffered very few losses compared to what they lost in the Atlantic. This is not to denigrate the VVS which became a first-rate air force after its catastrophic early losses (I believe it was almost a non-factor in late 1941 and early 1942) nor to denigrate the Red Fleet whose sailors and commanders (Admiral Kuznetsov actually impressed me) fought a hard war including on rivers and land under very unfavourable conditions. No question about the ground force losses though...the back of 3rd Reich power was broken by the Soviets and their courage, operational and material superiority and sacrifice...and NOT just winter, Hitler's mistakes or any other such excuses thought up by Axis fanboys.

Comment

Originally posted by .sergio. View Post
          sadly, there are lot people that think that the war was won on the west front.
          Yes, yes, and some people think that Pearl Harbor was bombed by Germany. Others think Rommel was in charge of the German Army. Some even believe Britany Spears is the greatest artist in history. It would be nice if Joe Sixpack learned something about history, but don't hold your breath. Those interested in the subject are well aware of the sacrifices made by Russia, and I wouldn't worry about the bulk.
          "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Comment

Among the general public in the West, the contribution to the destruction of the Nazi war machine by the Soviet Union may not be widely appreciated but on these forums, I like to think that most of us are rather better informed.
            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X