Best History Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best History Book?

I was wondering what is the best and most comprehensive book on Russia, from its beginning up until the modern days? I am looking to get familiar with my Russian history since I admire the country but don't know enough about it. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Coup View Post
    I was wondering what is the best and most comprehensive book on Russia, from its beginning up until the modern days? I am looking to get familiar with my Russian history since I admire the country but don't know enough about it. Thoughts?
    Oh... It's hard to say, because there are too many books on history here. All fo those are in Russian, of course...
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Alexander Werth "Russia At War"

Comment

Hmmm Werth's book is excellent for WWII but...if you want a good general history I liked "A History of Russia" by Nicholas Riasanovsky.
        http://www.amazon.com/History-Russia.../dp/0195121791
        I used it in 1991 when I started my BA in history so it has been a bit ummm revised since then. Starts from the origins of the Kievan Rus up to today and a very good start for a one volume work.

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
          Hmmm Werth's book is excellent for WWII but...if you want a good general history I liked "A History of Russia" by Nicholas Riasanovsky.
          http://www.amazon.com/History-Russia.../dp/0195121791
          I used it in 1991 when I started my BA in history so it has been a bit ummm revised since then. Starts from the origins of the Kievan Rus up to today and a very good start for a one volume work.
          I Agree with you for the period from Kievan Rus to WWI . Later period is not so good on Riasanovsky.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X