Help is needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help is needed

I am looking for any help in locating my grandfather grave in Berlin area.
    All I know that he was killed in WW2 in Wannsee area on Apr. 30th during the battle of Berlin.
    I do not have much info and trying to find anything I can. The ultimate goal is of course to locate his grave if it exists. Apparently some distant relative saw his name on one of the memorials in Berlin. Where do I start? Just by looking at the maps I figured that he probably was part of 3rd Guard Tank Army. This matches some little info that I have (at some point he was a tank driver but then due to injuries was transferred to some kind of auxilary unit).

Thanks

I have a couple of Ideas but they are probably long shots....
    1) try the German Ministry of Interior...they may be able to point you to a registry of miltary graves/cemeteries.
    2) I have read somewhere that prior to the battle for Berlin many Russian Soldiers joined the Communist Party because if they were killed thier families would be notified...so maybe somewhere in old Party files there is a list of casualties and burial sites..although I do not know where to tell you look for them.

Comment

the families of all servicemen were notified with standard "pohoronka" death notes as they were called, regardless of party membership. Lots of people went MIA though so many people could not be notified, I guess.

But yeah, in Soviet Russia rugs clean you.

Comment

Originally posted by str4s View Post
        I am looking for any help in locating my grandfather grave in Berlin area.
        All I know that he was killed in WW2 in Wannsee area on Apr. 30th during the battle of Berlin.
        I do not have much info and trying to find anything I can. The ultimate goal is of course to locate his grave if it exists. Apparently some distant relative saw his name on one of the memorials in Berlin. Where do I start? Just by looking at the maps I figured that he probably was part of 3rd Guard Tank Army. This matches some little info that I have (at some point he was a tank driver but then due to injuries was transferred to some kind of auxilary unit).

Thanks
        first of all you need to know his name. Can't see it cited anywhere here...
        If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
          first of all you need to know his name. Can't see it cited anywhere here...
          That would be an excellent start. IF you have that then make a request to the Berlin City government. Their Friedhof Amt should have a list of all burials in the cemeteries with in the city.

HP
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

First of all you got to know his full name. Right?

Second. Try this: http://www.obd-memorial.ru/
            If he died in 1945 the chances are very high that you can find him there. Or even picture of his burial place.
            This is a databse with all known Soviet/Russian soldiers died since the WW2 and all known militatry burial places in the world where those soldiers are resting.

Very useful!
            Kind regards
            Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
            * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
            * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Comment

Originally posted by Egorka View Post
              First of all you got to know his full name. Right?

Second. Try this: http://www.obd-memorial.ru/
              If he died in 1945 the chances are very high that you can find him there. Or even picture of his burial place.
              This is a databse with all known Soviet/Russian soldiers died since the WW2 and all known militatry burial places in the world where those soldiers are resting.

Very useful!
              Yes, I know his name and I tried the site. Although it looks like a good resource, I could not find him in there.

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the sugggestions. Here is my plan. I decided to proceed in three directions. First, I will try german resources, including requests to the Berlin administration. Second, I will contact russian authorities (which ones, I do not know yet), including russian consulate in Berlin for the assistance. And third, I will continue my own research on the net. If I am successful in this, I will arrange a travel trip of my grandfather's three children to Berlin to visit a place where their father had spent last days of his life.

I will update with any progress that I make and of course, will appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks

Oleg.

Comment

Considering your place of residence, may I ask if your Russian is sufficient enough for using the site http://www.obd-memorial.ru/ ?
                  I just think that there might be a chance that you did not get appropriate results from the search because of the some linguistic problem.

What if per instance his middle name was misspelled in the documents loaded to the daytabase? So one should try to apply softer conditions to the searche and so on.

P.S: I get it that you would preffer not to disclose his name, right?
                  Kind regards
                  Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Egorka View Post
                    Considering your place of residence, may I ask if your Russian is sufficient enough for using the site http://www.obd-memorial.ru/ ?
                    I just think that there might be a chance that you did not get appropriate results from the search because of the some linguistic problem.

What if per instance his middle name was misspelled in the documents loaded to the daytabase? So one should try to apply softer conditions to the searche and so on.

P.S: I get it that you would preffer not to disclose his name, right?
                    No , he is not on the list. You can see for yourself - Makarov Serafim Grigorievich. There is one match, but that person is not him.

Anyway, I made some progress in retrieving his "polevaya pochta" number.
                    Is there any way to map this number to a unit name?

Comment

No , he is not on the list. You can see for yourself - Makarov Serafim Grigorievich. There is one match, but that person is not him.

Anyway, I made some progress in retrieving his "polevaya pochta" number.
                      Is there any way to map this number to a unit name?
                      there exists only one person with this full name liberated from POWs.

Yep, "polevaya pochta" is a very useful thing. One has large chance to convert it in unit number using service of www.soldat.ru site

Comment

there exists only one person with this full name liberated from POWs.

Yep, "polevaya pochta" is a very useful thing. One has large chance to convert it in unit number using service of www.soldat.ru site
                        Ok, I think I am making a good progress here. Based on "polevaya pochta" number, he was part of 4th guards' army headquarters engineering unit, which matches the information that I had about him being in some kind of "auxilary" unit. Apparently I have made a mistake before by "assigning" him to
                        3rd guards army, that also fought in Wannsee area. But, 4th guards' army 10 tank corps were in the same area too! Here is the map that confirms that.
                        http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/m...pr19-28_45.jpg

So, from knowing almost nothing about my grandfather just a week ago, I know a great deal of info today. I will keep digging on the net and planning to
                        launch a requests compain very shortly. I am contacting relatives too, just in case someone has documents that might help.

Thanks for the soldat.ru link, it was very helpful!

By the way, if he was killed in Berlin suburb, what are the chances that
                        he would be burried in Berlin itself? Was there a compain to relocate all graves scattered around Berlin to several cemeteries in Berlin?

thanks

Comment

Hi

Ok, I think I am making a good progress here. Based on "polevaya pochta" number, he was part of 4th guards' army headquarters engineering unit, which matches the information that I had about him being in some kind of "auxilary" unit. Apparently I have made a mistake before by "assigning" him to
                          3rd guards army, that also fought in Wannsee area. But, 4th guards' army 10 tank corps were in the same area too! Here is the map that confirms that.
                          http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/m...pr19-28_45.jpg
                          If you cite the "polevaya pochta" numer we can verify it using www.soldat.ru site. Maybe it's known which unit exactly it was assigned to.
                          Btw, I think you wanted to say 4th Guards Tank Army

So, from knowing almost nothing about my grandfather just a week ago, I know a great deal of info today. I will keep digging on the net and planning to
                          launch a requests compain very shortly. I am contacting relatives too, just in case someone has documents that might help.
                          I have some books on the battle for Berlin, so I think it's not a problem to find some details about tank army, or maybe even its smaller units. the main problem is free time...

By the way, if he was killed in Berlin suburb, what are the chances that
                          he would be burried in Berlin itself? Was there a compain to relocate all graves scattered around Berlin to several cemeteries in Berlin?
                          IMHO, rather large chances...

Regards
                          Alex

Comment

Hi

If you cite the "polevaya pochta" numer we can verify it using www.soldat.ru site. Maybe it's known which unit exactly it was assigned to.
                            Btw, I think you wanted to say 4th Guards Tank Army

I have some books on the battle for Berlin, so I think it's not a problem to find some details about tank army, or maybe even its smaller units. the main problem is free time...

IMHO, rather large chances...

Regards
                            Alex

Yes, I meant 4th Guards Tank Army. I also retrieved a "polevaya pochta" number from a year before, when he wrote a letter home. In this letter there was no mentioning of area where he was at the time or any events. It was a short note saying that he is well and his unit will go to a battle soon. The number is 83433 which translates to 284 ОТД.МОТОРИЗОВАННЫЙ БАТАЛЬОН.

I am not sure whether this unit was part of 4th guards tank army or not. It would be interesting to see what battles he went through on his way to
                            Berlin. He was drafted in 1941 and I am sure had seen a lot before falling in battle for Berlin on April 30th 1945.

I did a little bit of research on the net and have pretty much good idea what was happening in Wannsee region on April 30th. There were remnants of 20 Panzergrenadier Division who were up against 10th Mechanized corps of 4th Guard tank army where my grandfather apparently was at the time. The germans where holding Wannsee island and were surrounded until they tried to break out towards Wenck army on the night of May 1.
                            Here is article about those events.
                            http://www.ghwk.de/engl/exhibit-garden/end.htm

Ok, I just fired off a couple of emails to both russian consulate and Berlin administration. Let's see if I get any response back.

Is there any way to see lists of burried in Soviet memorials like Treptower Park in Berlin?

Comment

Is there any way to see lists of burried in Soviet memorials like Treptower Park in Berlin?
                              On the same http://www.obd-memorial.ru/ there is a option of searching for the burial places.
                              You can see the actual photografs of the burials and names assisiated with them.
                              but since you can not find your granddad\s name it means it will not be much help to you, unfortunately.
                              Kind regards
                              Igor

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Israel Army
                                by casanova
                                The Israelian Army stationed all airdefencesystens, tanks and soldiers on the Liban and Syrian border. The Iran wants to attack Israel. Arabian terrorists...
                                Yesterday, 23:15
                              • fastidiousboy
                                The best war games on PC
                                by fastidiousboy
                                Which war games are worth your time? It’s a tricky question to answer since war is sort of the default here in the world of PC gaming. The fighting...
                                Yesterday, 20:11
                              • fastidiousboy
                                Hello everyone
                                by fastidiousboy
                                Hello everyone, I am Huynh. I am 23 years old. I am an office worker.
                                Today I will show you a way to relieve stress in the office without the medicine...
                                Yesterday, 20:02
                              Working...
                              X