Tank Flag Commands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Flag Commands

It's common knowledge that early on in WWII the Soviet tanks had a severe lack of radios for communication. Therefore they used flags and gave commands through some kind of "semaphore" or just simple combinations of flags and colors. The obvious difficulties of doing this during a raging battle lead to many losses I'm sure.

So, my question is: what kind of flags were used and what were the commands available with these flags???
    Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Just a "guess" here

But for colors, might it be red, blue and white maybe?? I'm sure someone will show us the "colors" sometime, I basically got these colors from a war game......... sorry to say P.D.!!!

Cheers

Tom

Comment

http://www.rkka.ru/uniform/files/btv5.htm

Unfortunately it's not my field, so I have no commands, which were shown with those flags...

Regards
      Alex
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

At least I see RED!!

Yellow to, but no Blue or white, Hey I may have gotten 1 out of three right, thanks Alex, good deal!!

Cheers

Tom

Comment

If this was an easy question, I would already know the answer. Thank for finding the pic Alex. At least now I have an idea of the flag size, shape, and color.

Comment

Back when I occasionally rode a tank as a artillery observer the tank commanders would sometimes use flags. Red & white if I recall correctly. This was done when strict radio silence was required, or enemy radio jamming or radio failure occured. This was in the 1980s. the signals seemed realatively sophisticated, tho I never had the time to learn any of them.

In Korea we used hand signals for convoy control when radio was not suitable. or available.

Comment

Signals

There is mention of tactical signals in Appendix 6 of the Soviet Document Combat Regulations for the Tank and Mechanised troops of the Red Army, Part I as used in Charles C. Sharp, Soviet Armor Tactics of World War II: Red Army Armor Tactics from Individual Vehicle to Company from the Combat Regulations of 1944, George Nafziger, 1999, ISBN 1 58545 043 X.

Appendix 6 was deliberately excluded in the German translations of the Rissian texts as it contained "no material relevant for appraising the [combat tactics] of the Soviet Russian armored force".

Perhaps a question on the Russian Battlefield website might help?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Markuss View Post
                There is mention of tactical signals in Appendix 6 of the Soviet Document Combat Regulations for the Tank and Mechanised troops of the Red Army, Part I as used in Charles C. Sharp, Soviet Armor Tactics of World War II: Red Army Armor Tactics from Individual Vehicle to Company from the Combat Regulations of 1944, George Nafziger, 1999, ISBN 1 58545 043 X.

Appendix 6 was deliberately excluded in the German translations of the Rissian texts as it contained "no material relevant for appraising the [combat tactics] of the Soviet Russian armored force".

Perhaps a question on the Russian Battlefield website might help?
                Very interesting! I don't have copies of those books, but I will keep an eye out for them.

Comment

There exists a book "Guiding of the Tank Troops", 1940
                  http://militera.lib.ru/science/kuznetsov_tp/index.html
                  But it's in Russian...
                  If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
                    Very interesting! I don't have copies of those books, but I will keep an eye out for them.
                    http://www.battlefront.com/products/...vietarmor.html
                    Here you go!
                    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
                    www.reenactor.se

Comment

In the "Combat Regulations for Tank and Mechanized Troops of the Red Army, Part II (Bn, Rgt, Bde), 1944", flashing lights and colored smoke are used as supplementary communications to announce the start of combat operations, in specific sectors and points and are used for breaking contact or shifting artillery fires and for communication with aircraft; signal flags and flashing lights are used to signal during the march and at the halt.

Audio signals are used for direction of the troops, to give general air, gas, and tank alarms, when the crews are not in their vehicles.
                      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
                        Looks like I might be buying another book soon...

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X