Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is interested in my granddad's memoirs?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is interested in my granddad's memoirs?

Hello,

My granddad, Yurii V. Klimov (1922-2002), left 3 volumes of hand writen memoirs. More than 1000 pages including photographs where he describes his life from the childhood in a tiny Sibirian town until the retirement in Moscow. During the war he was in occupation in the city of Odessa until april 1944. After he was in RKKA the second line troop delivering the munition to the frontline. He was in Romania, Yugoslavia and ended the war in Hungary. After the war he studied in Moscow in the "Institute of Geodesy, Aerial photography and Cartography". He was working in the area of the soil recourse management for agricultural and industrial purposes.

I started to convert them into electronic format. So far I inserted only first 40 pages.
    You can get a taste of it in the following Russian links:

* part 1: http://egorka-datskij.livejournal.com/42044.html
    * part 2: http://egorka-datskij.livejournal.com/43820.html
    * part 3: http://egorka-datskij.livejournal.com/54914.html
    * part 4: coming soon

And you can get a taste of it in English in these couple of places:

* quote 1: http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/show...491#post100491
    * quote 2: http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/show...951#post121951

The question is do you want me to translate some parts of it into Eglish and place in the forum?
    I need to know how many people are interested as it is not so easy for me to translate it. It also takes much time...
    Yes. No doubt.
    89.01%
    Yes. You are a charming KGB provocator, and I want to read your biased propaganda
    5.49%
    No. No way, Jose!
    2.20%
    No. Though you are a very handsome KGB agent, it doesn't compensate for biasity of your propaganda
    3.30%
    Last edited by Egorka; 05 Apr 08, 02:09.
    Kind regards
    Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
    * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
    * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Thanks, cool I will check these out! You're lucky to have something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
      Thanks, cool I will check these out! You're lucky to have something like this.
      Emil, in case you are interested I guess you should rather read the Russian version.
      It is would be better than my translation.
      Kind regards
      Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.

Comment

I would read it. What I Have read so far (english version) is very interesting.
        It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.-George S. Patton

Comment

I am sorry to say that I haven't made it that far East yet. The Western Front keeps my attention and I still have so much to learn. But I wanted to take a moment to congratulate you on having such a treasure and to thank you for sharing it with everyone. Good day!

Comment

Well yes comrade why do you doubt it? Although it is a great deal of work for you!

Comment

Agreed.
              No doubt we all here at ACG Forums would love to read your grandfather's accounts.
              The little nuggets you've provided have been very interesting.
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Very interesting story!

Comment

i would also enjoy reading this russian account of WWII but it would have to be in English

Comment

You bet Egorka!!

English as well for me please, the actual combat and times just before and after battles would spark my interest as well, when you have the time.

Cheers, I join with others in wishing you the best of luck on getting parts translated for some of us here interested in this great find you have, thanks for sharing!!

Best regards

Tom

Comment

I agree, it would be very interesting to read.
                      “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

I agree as well!
                        Would suprise me if there is anyone on this forum that would NOT want to read them! but ENGLISH for me please!
                        http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
                        www.reenactor.se

Comment

Thanks guys,

of course in English. That is why I am asking if there are people interested as it takes me time to translate.

I will translate some selected more interesting parts about life in USSR before the WW2 and during WW2.
                          I will add the translations into this thread. But give me some time. I will start in a month or so.
                          Kind regards
                          Igor

Comment

That

Sounds good to me, thanks!!

Cheers

Tom

Comment

Egorka, I just read all the chapters you posted in Russian. Very nice! Your grandad sounds like a professional writer! I enjoyed this, looking forward to more.

Also, you did a great job scanning and indexing and making comments. There are some minor spelling errors in places but overall not a problem.
                              Last edited by Emil_G; 07 Apr 08, 05:06.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X