Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book looks interesting

http://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Triangl...7265462&sr=8-1

Seems like the author takes on what Isaev wrote about in his "Ot Dubno do Rostova."
    "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
    "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
    "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Ahh yes and available in English. If I get the chance I would like to read it as well.

Comment

Should be an interesting read, I hope the author has been able to bring to bear more of the Red Army archival material on the readiness of the mech corps in the Southwestern front.

In 2005, Sergei Bylinin's "Tankovoe srazhenie pod Brodami - Rovno 1941" illuminated this huge tank battle probably the largest in WWII) in a small, 47-page pamphlet. He notes the readiness of the mech corps, but did not tie the data to source material. He has a half dozen good maps.

The "bloody triangle" is Lutsk-Brody-Rovno, so the scope of the book is probably less than from Dubno to Rostov.

Thanks for highlighting the book; I'll watch for it.

rna
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
        Should be an interesting read, I hope the author has been able to bring to bear more of the Red Army archival material on the readiness of the mech corps in the Southwestern front.

In 2005, Sergei Bylinin's "Tankovoe srazhenie pod Brodami - Rovno 1941" illuminated this huge tank battle probably the largest in WWII) in a small, 47-page pamphlet. He notes the readiness of the mech corps, but did not tie the data to source material. He has a half dozen good maps.

The "bloody triangle" is Lutsk-Brody-Rovno, so the scope of the book is probably less than from Dubno to Rostov.

Thanks for highlighting the book; I'll watch for it.

rna

I agree, the scope is smaller, which is why I'd guess it's smaller than Isaev's book. I'm surprised that this is the first I heard of this book, I thought the world of Eastern Front historians was pretty small and well connected . I don't know about new archival materials, it would have been noted in the book's summary, but I am glad that this time period and event are getting some recognition in English, aside from Glantz's "Initial Period of War on the Eastern Front."
        "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
        "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
        "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

I'd be interested as well

thanks as well for the "heads up" sir!!

Cheers

Tom

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X