Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Politics?

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
    Hey guys, what's up with Putin over there? Any word on why he's firing his staff?
    There is a lot of speculation on why Putin fired the gov't (not his staff), but most of it is stupid.

I think it's not much of a mystery to someone who reads the Economy Ministry web site on a regular basis. They have a huge amount of reform planned for this year, especially administrative reform. By law, the gov't must resign when the President is inaugurated. At that point the President forms the new gov't. Given the urgency of reform, Putin did not want to delay everything by a month while the new gov't is formed, and expedited the events. When he's inaugurated, he will already have his gov't. (Obviously, as everyone knows, Putin is certain to win.)

And if someone is not aware yet, Russia's economic growth is Putin's #1 priority, and will remain so for the next 4 years. That's why he's shaping everything around the reform process.
    Kak nyne sbiraetsia veschii Oleg otmstit' nerazumnym ... well, you know who you are :)

Comment

If by law the gov't must resign then how does this make things go faster. The government will have to resign then anyway.

Comment

The gov't becomes permanent after it's approved by the Duma. If you wait until inauguration to create a new gov't, then have it approved, you're talking of a delay of at least a month. This way, Putin already said who will be the new gov't, and there will be a fast track approval right after he's reelected. At which point the gov't can proceed on the highly unpopular reform (yep, Fradkov is a sacrificial lamb -- everyone will hate his guts) without much delay.
        Kak nyne sbiraetsia veschii Oleg otmstit' nerazumnym ... well, you know who you are :)

Comment

They have a huge amount of reform planned for this year, especially administrative reform. By law, the gov't must resign when the President is inaugurated. At that point the President forms the new gov't. Given the urgency of reform, Putin did not want to delay everything by a month while the new gov't is formed, and expedited the events. When he's inaugurated, he will already have his gov't. (Obviously, as everyone knows, Putin is certain to win.)
          Actually, this is pretty much what I have read in the media (American media) so someone here must be getting at least part of the story right.

Thanks for the view from the Russian side. Real interesting stuff. You can take at least some satisfaction that there are those here in the US that are interested in an objective view of world events.

Comment

Originally posted by printshop
            Actually, this is pretty much what I have read in the media (American media) so someone here must be getting at least part of the story right.

Thanks for the view from the Russian side. Real interesting stuff. You can take at least some satisfaction that there are those here in the US that are interested in an objective view of world events.
            I've seen only a few mentions of this in Western media. The two main theories are:

a) break with Yeltsin's past regime (while everyone expected that Kasyanov would be removed after the election, the timing of it is explained by the fact that Putin needs to demonstrate it to voters before the election). My view: it's ridiculous -- Putin has 70-80% approval rating, he doesn't need to engage in populism.

b) add drama to the upcoming election so that it doesn't get invalidated by low turnout (in Russia, election is valid only if 50% of eligible voters participate). My view: highly unlikely -- most polls indicate about 60% turnout for the presidential election.

Needless to say, both of these theories originate with Putin's opponents, and Western media never quotes anyone else.

My general impression about the coverage of Russia in American media has been that individual Americans are signficantly more objective and open-minded with respect to Russia than the media.

Comment

Oleg has excellent understanding of processes in Russia in spite of fact that he lives in Ukraine.

I only disagree that there is no danger that less than 50% of voters will come in elections.

It is possible that people will decide to not to go in elections because Putin will win in any case (it is because Putin is supported by most part of people).

To mobilize people to go in elections is very difficult task - I remember only one very successful such campaign of Yeltsin - "Vote or you will lose" - in 1996 when Communist Zuganov had real chances to win in case of low activity of democratic youth.
              (Most people voted not for Yeltsin but against Zuganov in that case)

Comment

I don't live in Ukraine anymore.

And so far it really looks like voter turnout will be sufficient. All polls indicate that, even if you discount the fact that many people say they will definitely vote, but then never make it due to various reasons. In general, it was sufficient for the Duma election, and presidential elections always bring more people to vote.

For the future, this requirement will need to be dropped. When Russian politics stabilize, voter turnout will rarely exceed 50%. Holding repeat elections every time because of that will quickly become ridiculous. :crazy:

Comment

If for me, I definetely will visit the upcoming elections...if I am alive :spill:

Sorry, not to say for whom I will vote, but you may guess it....
                  If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Re: Politics?

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
                    Hey guys, what's up with Putin over there? Any word on why he's firing his staff?

Also, what are you all hearing about the upcoming presidential election in the U.S.? What's Itar-Tass reporting?
                    From my Russian pen-pal, I hear that Putin cleaned house so that he will be able to form the government that he wants.

In general, I like Putin - his office is very difficult in present circumstances. Certainly, he does have his faults, and one must remember his past (KGB).

To be sure, the Russian people could do worse. I think I will let posterity judge Putin.:quest:
                    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: Re: Politics?

Originally posted by hogdriver
                      Certainly, he does have his faults, and one must remember his past (KGB).
                      Why is Putin's KGB past a drawback?

Comment

It is part of Baltic discussion but I suppose that it will be interesting and here.

Yesterday I saw week news program “Namedni” on NTV. And I saw topic about actions of protest of Russian nationality schoolchildren in Latvia against disturbing learning in schools in Russian (Latvian government want to leave only 40% of school time for Russian language lessons).

In Latvia 36% of population – Russians, most part of Latvian also know Russian. Many Russians lived in Latvia all their life, it is their land also. And it is not equal to prevent to open new school in new language and to close working schools or to change language of teaching of working schools.

As I understood situation is very dangerous, it is possible to see mass actions of protest like in Palestine in 80th and even mass disorders soon.

And it looks like leaders of ethnic Baltic people are crazy. They do not want to remember events which occurred 60 years ago, they continued anti-Russian actions for many years. But Russians (and especially current children) are not guilty for mistakes of Soviet regime 60 years ago, most people who took part in those events died. It is more correct to forget all and to live peacefully. But these crazy ethnic Latvians do not want to stop their anti-Russian actions. They claimed for Russians for genocide of Baltic peoples in Soviet time but they do themselves real genocide against Russians NOW. They demand deportation of ethnic Russians in Russia, they speak slogan “Bag. Railway station. Russia”, it means “Russians, go away in Russia”. They speak for 10-year children that they are occupants.

Pp(est) speaks that all is OK and he doesn’t want to read articles about this in Russian because he can not to understand Russian. But his parents can to translate it for him, any 35-years old Estonian can understand Russian (according words of Pp(est)) and to translate it for him, it is very easy. But Pp(est) doesn’t want to know it.

And even his words speak about relation to Russians from side of ethnic Baltic people…

They suppose that Russians do not do anything for last 10 years and it is sign that they will not do anything and later. One Russian great writer of XIX Century said: “Russian people is very patient but God forbid for you to see power of Russian ANGER”. And when Baltic people will see mass disorders from windows of their nice little houses it will be too late.

And Russian people in Russia also will not look quietly how do ethnic Baltic peoples jeer at ethnic Russians in Baltic States. Enough! They can to continue their actions but they have no to wonder later when Russian fighters again will fly over their capitals. Modern Russia will not forget about our brothers now like it was for all years after collapse of USSR. Enough! It is opinion of people in the streets (I speak not only about problem of Russians in Latvia, many people do not know about it, I speak more about “Enough” opinion and I suppose that you will understand what I speak about), it is one of reasons of success of “Motherland” movememt in last parliament elections (Dmitriy Rogozin, one of “Motherland” leaders, is famous as defender of rights of ethnic Russians in Baltic states) and popularity of Putin who will not betray interests of our country.

It is time for Baltic peoples to make decision – to forget past problems and to live peacefully now or to have large problems now and in future.

Comment

Re: Re: Politics?

Originally posted by hogdriver
                          Certainly, he does have his faults, and one must remember his past (KGB).
                          KGB was like USA CIA+NSA+FBI.

KGB also protected our motherland not only fought against dissidents.

Not all KGB members were bad.

Putin had low KGB rank, he was real spy who protected his country, it is like CIA agent for USA, it is more like that he was hero who risk his life when other people lives in safety.

And former KGB members have one advantage - they have sense of responsibility and control what they speak.

And it is time to forget about past.

Yeltsin was large scale Communist Party leader in past but it was not problem for US presidents to have friendship relations for him.

Comment

Returning to politics.

A question for Russians here:

In light of the last Sunday's election, do you believe that there is democracy in Russia? What is your definition of democracy?

(I'm doing a poll of all Russians I know on this.)

Comment

Originally posted by Oleg
                              Returning to politics.

A question for Russians here:

In light of the last Sunday's election, do you believe that there is democracy in Russia? What is your definition of democracy?

(I'm doing a poll of all Russians I know on this.)
                              I suppose that all is OK with democracy now. I didn't see violations.

State made attempts to move people in voting places but state have no possibility to force people to vote for concrete candiate.

I disagree with West opinion that Putin is like tsar now.

In last press-conference I heard folowing his words (it was excellent):

West reporter asked Putin about "violations" during elections and Putin answered:

"West countries of so-called developed Democracy notice mote in our eye but doesn't notice log in own eye. (It is old Russian phrase which means that you try to see small bad things of other man but do not see really large own bad things. - my remark). Four years ago all workd was amazed when it looked how election system of USA skided (or sliped?, I do not know concrete word - my remark)"

Putin is Russian De Goll.

Putin is Russian Roosevelt (FDR).

Putin is Russian Kennedy.

Public supports Putin in large scale.

West mass media writes complete nonsense about President elections.

Comment

Andrey, thanks for the answer. For question 1 it's a 'yes', then. What about question 2?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  A awful, dedoerate situation for the population in Beirut, Libanon. A Amoniumnitrat-explosion was the cause of the catastrophe....
                                  Today, 23:35
                                • AntiWarmanCake8
                                  Battlefields
                                  by AntiWarmanCake8
                                  One day in the far future I like to visit some Napoleonic battlefields. Does anyone have any ones they would share?

I would like to visit:...
                                  Today, 20:27
                                • AntiWarmanCake8
                                  COVID-19
                                  by AntiWarmanCake8
                                  So I tested positive for COVID 19 yesterday but I had symptoms since last Thursday, probably got pneumonia in my left lung. Been resting at home, quarantined...
                                  Today, 20:22
                                Working...
                                X