No announcement yet.

*Don't forget to vote for Zhukov! (Round III: Zhukov vs. Guderian)*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey! Lets try to focus the discussion here on ZHUKOV and GUDERIAN. Not grammar! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
      Hey! Lets try to focus the discussion here on ZHUKOV and GUDERIAN. Not grammar! Thanks.
      I had the hardest time with Russian grammar in college. (Barely trudged my way through 2 years of the language!)

Shamil, you seem to have some things to say and we would like to hear/see them. But a continued belligerent tone will not endear you to anyone and may get you banned from the forum. (I would hate for that to happen as I find it incredibly interesting to correspond with people from all walks of life from so many countries.!)

You are correct that your choice of avatar is nobody's business but yours, but please don't continue to agitate Andrey.

Greetings and salutations to all!
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
        Yea, I will be spamming other forums I know to get votes out...just a problem with the Swiss network today... I can't really use my database KMS system at work and many sites are slow (my work aps like outlook, Dreamweaver are also affected) even at home I had the same problem yesterday.

One last grammer note, I grew up learning it as "the Ukraine" and I am a native speaker. I bet BBC from the 70s and 80s called it that as well, so Andrey is correct. What happened is the Ukrainian emigre community in the late 80s started promoting the idea of calling it "Ukraine" casue they thought it demeaned it as a region (it means frontier in fact in slavonic languages I think)...but the Netherlands is not demeaned by that. Nor the Phillipines.

Sorry last note.

Comment

Cool. And you wouldn't be spamming! You are inviting other people to participate in a lovely and informative discussion.

The contest rules encourage people to join ACG to participate.

Comment

OK, THIS is the last note about THE Ukraine:

(Shamil's dad?)

(Note difference b/w how native English speaking characters say it and how the charachter with the broken English says it)

That's it! Now only Zhukov and Guderian! No more grammar or the Ukraine!

Comment

Now that, was Hilarious!!
              History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
              _________
              BoRG

Comment

I has been told that it is "The Ukraine" but civilized people like ourself won´t start fighting about something so unimportant, both is probably rigth...
                “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Still pretty comfortably ahead, by 7 votes but it seems our Ukrainian friend has been spamming a bit so let's keep the advantage up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil View Post
                    Yeah, let's vote for Zhukov. His great military talents in planning and conducting operations inflicted more losses to the Red Army than Germans.
                    ... said with tongue in cheek, I am sure ... but the point is what Zhukov lacked in finesse he made up in brute and unimaginative force. Of all the western nations Russia stood apart as an enigma to the value of human life. If her regime was anything other than what it was, it would not have been willing to pay the prodiguous price in blood and flesh, and the likes of Zhukov would have been replaced after the first battle. Somehow, comparing Zhukov to Guderian (and/or Manstein even) is like comparing a Hippo to a Lion. Zhukov had the good fortune to have his country's resources unquestioningly at his disposal. And dispose of them he did ... tantamount to rape. Rising above average to his peers, and with Russia desperately looking to have her hero, Zhukov rose to the occasion ... and got away with what he did. The fact that it took the Motherland with more than three times the population, and 70+ times the land-mass in recources to draw from, nearly four long years to bring Germany to her knees, against only 2/3rds of her military force, with more than three times the casualties, somehow does not bespeak well of her generalship on average. I find it interesting how quickly the merits of one general over another revolve simply over who was on the winning or loosing side. I would think a more telling method would be a stack up using resources at your disposal and whose butt (in lives lost) got kicked harder with those resources at hand. Sure, there is sweetness in victory, but it becomes bitter when the price is too high. And too high for Russia it was. The losses sustained in that conflict have yet to be made good in her population index. And the public outcry as archives are opened to reveal even greater losses than her polititians initially admitted to are making themselves felt in the writings of the likes of what some might call "revisionist" historians, that are tarnishing Zhukov's alleged genius and hero status.
                    Last edited by Michael K; 02 Apr 08, 18:31.
                    [... I am trying to learn], in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Phil.4:11

Comment

Michael K, wow I don't think you missed one tired ass, insulting stereotype of Russia and its people in your little tirade!

Comment

Victory!

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                        We're taking him all the way to the top on this one.

And We Did It! Z Is In The Top 4!

Now he is up against Grant! Will he make it to face Napoleon or Alexander The Great?! It is up to us!

Cool picture -

Young Georgy Zhukov as an officer in the imperial Russian army, 1916.
                        Last edited by Emil_G; 03 Apr 08, 04:21.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X