Tell About Your Relatives in the RKKA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell About Your Relatives in the RKKA

This place has been a little dead lately so I figured I'd start something.

All our Russian friends, what did you relatives do in the GPW? I am sure our English speaking forumites would be interested to know, and you would be itnerested to tell. I will start, my knowledge is a little rusty, I haven't talked to my dad about this in a while, he promised me to one day write it all down but he doesn't think it's terribly important, unfortunately, but he is also a very busy man...

I only had one relative in the RKKA, it was my paternal grandpather (born 1921). He was an economics student in Leningrad when he was drafted into the RKKA in 1939 for the Winter War. He did not see any action however because by the time he was done with training - the war was over.

During the GPW, because he was a college student (or some other reason), he was chosen to be enrolled into the officer school war-time crash program in radio intelligence. I belive he graduated 1941 with the rank of Leutenant.

He served in radio intelligence / signals throughout the war, including the Battle of Kursk - where he received the Order of the Red Star for successfully tracing German radio signatures, signifying their shift in movenment - or something like that. He finished the war in Berlin, with the rank of Captain.

After the war he contintued a career in the Soviet Army and retired with the rank of Colonel. He lived most of his post war life in the Ukraine.
    He left us in 1993.

Anyone else?

Check also old thread
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=11684
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
      Well, I guess I am a bit like Columbus then, "discovered" something, where somebody already was....

But 2004, was quite a while ago...AND besides you, no Russians contributed to that thread, so maybe more will this time?

Comment

Cool pictures, Egorka!

Comment

One of my grandfather was in the RKKA in 1941-1947. He never told about the GPW although I asked him many times. From photos and from other relatives I know he was in AA regiment, had at least a rank of Senior sergeant and shot german tanks with his AA gun near Moscow in 1941. That's all. My Mom said he brought lots of decorations but gave all of them to the children "because there were no toys at that time".

Comment

Thanks for sharing!!

That's nice to see here on this forum, my best wishes to you and yours!!

Cheers, good thread here Emil.

Tom

Comment

my grandpa was in the swedish army
              but thats good on the other side, he didnt have to go thrue the hell that the rest of the worlds soldiers had to

so that kinda rules out me and RKKA stories :/
              http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
              www.reenactor.se

Comment

Did he volunteer to fight for Finland?

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                  Did he volunteer to fight for Finland?
                  Good one!
                  Kind regards
                  Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                  * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                  * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Comment

Thanks. Yes, lots of Swedes volunteered to fight for Finland. Officially Sweden could not send troops.

I wouldn't hold any Swede in bad regard for that, they were just doing what they thought was right. This was before 1941. Maybe they though if Finalnd falls, Sweden is next.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                      Thanks. Yes, lots of Swedes volunteered to fight for Finland. Officially Sweden could not send troops.

I wouldn't hold any Swede in bad regard for that, they were just doing what they thought was right. This was before 1941. Maybe they though if Finalnd falls, Sweden is next.
                      Nah he didnt, he stayed in his unit and guarded the german transports thrue sweden, the "convalescents" - another black part in swedens WWII history.

Yeah quite a few swedes volountered "Finlands sak är vår" (Finlands cause is ours) and the fear for the russian played a big role there as well, but most (from what I have gathered atleast) fought for helping our old countrymens the finns.
                      www.reenactor.se

Comment

This is total OT now but a friend of mine always says that if the Scandinavian countries formed their own tri-part pact against Hitler it would have worked. But I think that they didn't because Sweden and Finland were really not that threatened by Hitler. Norway was the only one that actually fought, but even there they had big Nazis like Quisling.

Comment

As Russia Saw in the winterwar the Finns did indeed have the punch to face Russia, but for sweden... on 9th April we didnt have anything combat ready directly, small units here and there... zie germans would have walked all over us. not to mention that Nasizmen was pretty spread out in the upper class as well, so I doubt Sweden would want to go to war against Hitler in 1940.

But it sure does sounds beutiful to join Norway,Sweden and Finland (oh yeah, denmark to) in one pact
                          www.reenactor.se

Comment

Thanks for the new topic, Emil!

One my grandfather was recruited in 1940 and served in AA as a commander (sergeant) of a mobile searchlight machine. Participated in Shlisselburg defence in 1941, then in counterblow on Tikhvin, then in Vlasov's offensive (fortunately, his unit escaped full surroundings). Then he served in Volkhov front also in AA unit but as signalman. Finaly he got severe scurvy, lost almost all teeth and then served in the rear units in Baltics. In 1945-46 he served for mine clearing near Novgorod, where he met my grandmother who also served in the same mine clearing unit. This was also quite dangerous job BTW - during one year they lost about 400 men and women - about half of the unit...

I have full version of this story in Russian; maybe I'll post it in www.iremember.ru and even translate into English...

Another grandfather was director if a military plant somewhere in the North. IIRC they produced explosives.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X