Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Air War Over Russia & Germany 41-45...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Markuss
    replied
    Bergstrom

Originally posted by grognard View Post
    Google Christer Bergstrom for books--he has written things lately but not Red Cross\Black Star series books. For some reason I can't copy and paste the urls.
    Thank very much - I shall. With a birthday not too far away I might do something with this information....

Leave a comment:

• grognard
    replied
    Google Christer Bergstrom for books--he has written things lately but not Red Cross\Black Star series books. For some reason I can't copy and paste the urls.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Markuss
    replied
    Red Star/Black Cross

Originally posted by grognard View Post
    AFAIK the RedCross\Black Star books are not going to continue. However, chris Bergstrom is following up with another series on the airwar. Check Amazon for titles and availability.
    What a shame! I have all the current volumes and was really looking forward to the later ones. The subject deserves more attention from writers.

Leave a comment:

• grognard
    replied
    AFAIK the RedCross\Black Star books are not going to continue. However, chris Bergstrom is following up with another series on the airwar. Check Amazon for titles and availability.

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
    All on June 24?
    No. For a week or a couple every night Soviet bombers flew to bomb Berlin. Then the Germans approached and captured the island in the Baltic Sea from which the Soviet bombers operated and the raids were stopped. (The Germans knew about the island and specially captured it to stop the raids)

Leave a comment:

• Carl Schwamberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrey View Post
    1.I am not sure Elli's numbers are correct.
    Perhaps not. I am too lazy to walk across the room and refresh my memory of his sources. Other numbers for comparison would be welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Alina
    replied
    Book recommendations in English for the women pilots:

Wings, Women, and War by Reina Pennington
    A Dance With Death by Anne Noggle

Pennington's book is more academic, Noggle's book more anecdotal. They make excellent companions as the interviews and first hand accounts in Noggle's book work very well with Pennington's research into the nitty-gritty of unit histories. Both books deal mostly with the all-female 586th, 587th, and 588th "Raskova's Regiments" but they also have information on women in predominantly male squadrons.

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied
    All on June 24?

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    How many?
    About 10

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    look this

http://www.ruscico.com/dvd.php?lang=en&dvd=401

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied
    How many?

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    There was a raid on Berlin on June 24, 1941. Like the Russian analog of the Dolittle Raid...not many people know about it.
    Yes, you are right. But it was not a raid, it ws a set of a few raids.

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    1.I am not sure Elli's numbers are correct.

2. The Germans used concetrated groups of aircraft that wandered between hot points of the Soviet-German Front. The Soviet aircraft was distributed along the whole frontline.

For example, famous Pokryshkin, the best Soviet ace, didn't take part in the Kursk Battle. His unit operated in the south in that time.

So 2,500/8,300 ratio in Jun 1943 doesn't mean the Soviets had too much supremacy over Kursk. Only local Soviet air units operated over Kursk against the best Luftwaffe forces of the Eastern Front. in this case 2500 means the most of them fought over Kursk.

In 1941-43 the signifiant part of Soviet pilots were green novices who could take off and land only. The USSR had no time for training of pilots. Many pilots had no time to learn before they were shot down.

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied
    Yes, the Soviets attacked German airfields.

Also the Soviets had Long-Range Aircraft which had heavy bombers and bombed targets in deep German rears.
    Yeap, there was a raid on Berlin on June 24, 1941. Like the Russian analog of the Dolittle Raid...not many people know about it.

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied
    Yes, the Soviets attacked German airfields.

Also the Soviets had Long-Range Aircraft which had heavy bombers and bombed targets in deep German rears.
    There was a raid on Berlin on June 24, 1941. Like the Russian analog of the Dolittle Raid...not many people know about it.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X