Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't forget to vote for Zhukov (Round II)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
    well guderian shaped the german armour forces to become what it was,thats what makes him become superior.

on a different note, who was the pusher for russian armour units in the early days? (kinda like Guderian and Lidells counterpart)

/Thomas
    The Mech Corps of 1941 were... Zhukov's brainchild.

Comment

Victory comrades, let me also thank Emil for great mobilisation!! I'll be ready to vote for the Big Z against Guderian.

Still, while it's fun to rub the German fanboys noses in the mud a part of me thinks this is a bit of a joke, after all as was said, both were very different and at different levels. This "best" generals popularity contest is a bit silly. I have no problem admitting the Red Army Marshals were overall a better bunch than some of our Western "stars", and yes they beat the Germans so that's what counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
        The Mech Corps of 1941 were... Zhukov's brainchild.
        Are there any good books dealing on this subject?
        http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
        www.reenactor.se

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
          Are there any good books dealing on this subject?
          I mean the following...

In October, 1940 Meretskov was the Chief of the General Staff. He offered to add a brigade of T-26 to each rifle corps. it was planned to have 52 such brigades, the most of them were to be organized from nothing. besides of those brigades red army had 9 mech corps and 6 tank brigades of BT tanks. On december, 1st of 1940 red army had 9 mech corps (18 tank and 8 motorized divisions, 2 separate tank divisions), 40 brigades of T-26 and 5 brigades of BT.

After Zhukov became the chief of the general staff (winter 1940-41, don't remember the exaxt date) those plans were changed significantly.

The tank brigades of support of infantry were liquidated and the tank troops of red army were to contain 30 mech corps (60 tank and 30 motorized divisions).

In June 1941 the most of those tank corps were still in the phase of organization but a few of those corps took part in the counterblows which stopped the Germans in the Ukraine and let to win WWII.

Comment

Emil, Way to get out the vote for Big Z!

You certainly have built up the foundation for Zhukov to win again.
            I don't see how Heinz can beat us when Manstein was considered the better General of the two even by the Nazis.

Great work!
            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
            _________
            BoRG

Comment

Great done Emil!
              My vote is reserved for Zhukov.
              “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                When they put the poll up.

Tukhachevsky?
                Bingo--as they say in church

Comment

yes, tukhachevsky is considered the main followee of poweful mechanized formations in the pre-war USSR. He was executed in 1937.

Comment

Joea, Erkki, Torien & everyone. Thanks again, I am glad to help out the legacy of the Big Z.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                      I mean the following...

In October, 1940 Meretskov was the Chief of the General Staff. He offered to add a brigade of T-26 to each rifle corps. it was planned to have 52 such brigades, the most of them were to be organized from nothing. besides of those brigades red army had 9 mech corps and 6 tank brigades of BT tanks. On december, 1st of 1940 red army had 9 mech corps (18 tank and 8 motorized divisions, 2 separate tank divisions), 40 brigades of T-26 and 5 brigades of BT.

After Zhukov became the chief of the general staff (winter 1940-41, don't remember the exaxt date) those plans were changed significantly.

The tank brigades of support of infantry were liquidated and the tank troops of red army were to contain 30 mech corps (60 tank and 30 motorized divisions).

In June 1941 the most of those tank corps were still in the phase of organization but a few of those corps took part in the counterblows which stopped the Germans in the Ukraine and let to win WWII.
                      Those Mech corps were all disbanded, and the new Tank and Mech corps were a completely different organization. So they were not effective, whereas Guderian's Panzer divisions were effective through most of the war.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X