Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Army naval ground scouts uniforms

Hi,

Just wanted to start by saying this is my first post here at armchairgeneral.

I have just bought "Commandos from the sea", by Strekhnin, a book on soviet naval ground recon scouts during WWII.
    Would anyone have an idea of what kind of uniforms these scouts would wear?

Thanks in advance.

best regards.

Marc

Welcome marcb71

I would'nt know, but I bet others just might, look to AMVAS, Andrey, joea, emil, just a few for example, among many that post here.

Cheers, I'm sure one of the guys would love to help you out!!

Tom

Looking forward to your next post/thread.

Comment

I think what you are lalking can not be called "scouts".

As I understsnd the term of "scout" it is about tactical military intelligence - special trained groups whose task is to sneak in close enemy rears.

It is not the same as "commandos".

If to speak about the naval recon units so it depends about whom it was spoken.

There were naval units who operated in ground. They had approximately the same uniform as ordinary infantry. (Excluding the initial period of the war when they consisted from ordinary sailors who went to the ground from their ships in their ordinary black uniform). Later thy got the same uniform as ordinary infantrymen ("khaki"). They only had only 2 things which they were very proud by - stripped vest and sailors peakless cap with the name of their ship in its bands. If they went to attack (especially in hand-to-hand fight) they unbuttonned the top button to let to everyone to see their stripped vest and dressed their peakless caps instead of helmet or sided cap.

Also there were groups of Marines who operated from small ships. They could do recon, saboteur or assault missions and landing operations. Especially they were active in the Northern Fleet. Usually they were dressed in the black uniform of Soviet Marines.

Comment

a few others

Comment

a few others

Comment

Thanks Andrey

Those camo outfits I can't get enough of, I wonder why they did'nt do more to their AFVs besides the basic green and white during winter. I know there were some exceptions, but in general, not as much as the Germans....

Cheers

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the answers!
              The choice of words is not mine, it's the title of the book.
              It's an interesting read, but features no pics.
              Here's a link:
              http://www.amazon.com/Commandos-Sea-.../dp/1557508321

Thanks again!

cheers,

Marc
              Last edited by marcb71; 08 Mar 08, 04:24.

Comment

Originally posted by marcb71 View Post
                Thanks for the answers!
                The choice of words is not mine, it's the title of the book.
                It's an interesting read, but features no pics.
                Here's a link:
                http://www.amazon.com/Commandos-Sea-.../dp/1557508321

Thanks again!

cheers,

Marc
                It was you who used the term of naval ground recon scout. It is not equal to naval commandos.

As I know Soviet Marines operated as naval commandos. They were dressed in black uniform of Marines.
                Last edited by Andrey; 08 Mar 08, 12:43.

Comment

Awesome photos!!! Please tell me that book you have has some photos of Soviet paratroopers as well. If so can you scan and post them like the other ones you have here?

Comment

Andrej,

The front inside flap says: "naval ground reconnaisance detachments". The back of the book mentions: "detachment of scouts". I combined them...

Comment

Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
                      Awesome photos!!! Please tell me that book you have has some photos of Soviet paratroopers as well. If so can you scan and post them like the other ones you have here?
                      I remember I have seen such photos in "Frontline Illustration" deducated to Battle for Moscow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X