Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Airborne

Amvas, two things I'm interested in:

Kanev, September 1943 - Red Army was to drop troops near the Dniepr River.

Russo- Finnish War, 1939-40 - Soviet paratroopers were dropped without parachutes! My understanding is that this report is highly unconfirmed, rumor even.
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Re: Russian Airborne

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
    Russo- Finnish War, 1939-40 - Soviet paratroopers were dropped without parachutes! My understanding is that this report is highly unconfirmed, rumor even.
    I remember reading from Glantz that Soviet paratroopers were used in very uncoordinated fashion near Petsamo (the most northern Finland, location of strategically important nickel mines).
    “To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed…” -1984 about the Big Lie

Comment

Yep, there was such an airborne operation on the Dnieper western riverside. But it was unsuccesfull. Not much details of it. But most paratroopers wre killed or joint with partisans.

As for Finland - maybe in my "Sbornik" such info presents, but not sure.....

I heard only about successfull landing of a soviet navigator who fell without paratroop from 6,000 meters and managed to stay alive
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

1. I didn't hear about Air dropping without parachutes in Winter War in 1939-40.

I heard that Red Army made it during battle for Moscow in winter of 1941. Groups of soldiers with anti-tank weapon were dropped without parachute from extremely low altitudes from low speed planes in direction of German panzer columns advance. As I read most part of these soldiers landed successfully in snow.

2. About Soviet Airborne troops in WWII.

In WWII USA, Great Britain, USSR and Germany had and used Airborne troops for Airdrop.

But difference is in amount and in quality of troops. USA had 2 divisions (82th and 101st), Germany - 1 (as I remember). It was real elite. US paratroopers got 2-years training before Airdrop in Normandy.

In these conditions destruction of one Airborne division could be real catastrophe, like for Germany during Creete operation and for Great Britain in Arnhem.

In WWII Airboprne troops were not elite in USSR, it became elite troops only later than 70th years of XX Century.

In WWII it was usual infantry with parachute jump capability, may be, soldiers were more young than in other infantry. In WWII Soviet Airborne troops had no long training, they were often used as usual infantry (during Kursk battle 6th Guardian Airborne division was part of 5th Guardin Army and took part in battle for Prokhorovka against German SS panzers as usual infantry).

And in WWII USSR has some CORPSES of Airborne troops.

So destruction of Soviet Airborne division was not large catastrophe for Red Army, like for USA, Great Britain and Germany.
        It was only one more destroyed infantry division, it was nothing if to remember about casualties of Red Army, especially in 1941-42.

Andrey

Comment

Paul Carell, in his book "Scorched Earth" has a pretty good description of the Kanev drops accompanied by maps.

Nehring's XXIV Pz Corps was almost sitting on the landing zones when the operation took place.
          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Excellent info, thanks! Keep it coming!
            Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Hi all.

I´m interested in this thread too. About Russian Airborne operation at Kanev in 1943. I´ve searching the net looking for 10th Russian Airbone Div OOB and Kanev info unssuccesfully.
              I just have a map from Amvas...

Anyone has information about this operation.

Chema

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X