X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Konzev View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm a Pacifist.
    I would not have been a pacifist if I would have been a citizen of the USSR
    in the summer of 1941, I would have fought for my very existence, that of my family and my Motherland of Russia.
    I would not have been a Pacifist as a canadian Citizen during WW2,
    I would have helped defending the free world against the fascist invaders.
    Would even have enlisted prior in the american Lincoln Brigade to fight Fascism in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939).
    I would also have defended the Bundes-Republic of Germany in the years
    of 1975/76 when I was a member of the Bundeswehr (German Armed Forces,
    an Army of Citizens in Uniform, sworn to defend the territory of the BRD),
    against the powerhungry but mediocer beaurocrats on the other side of the iron curtain.

I just don't feel the passion, I would have felt about aboves conflicts,
    in Canada's new Corporate Adventures in Afghanistan, the so called "War on Terrorism"). We have send our Troops there, with all the nice trappings of Civilisation: Large Screen TV's for the officers Messhalls, 15 diffrent brands of scotch whiskey, air-conditioned living containers, with "Filet Mignon, Stuffed
    Turkey, just the best our great country has to offer. Supported by embedded Media Cheerleaders in the likes of Brian Stuart, Rex Murphy and others they get the real feel of the afghan culture when they ride in their airconditioned
    armored vehicles to fight some poor peasant kids, with primitive weaponry.
    Call in airstrikes and heavy artillery when those poor peasant kids dare to shoot back, often accepting "Collateral Damage". Than aid money comes in to build Schools, Hospitals, to train Policemen and a Milicia, for Infrastructure etc. Now some of this money goes to the Karzai Goverment officials who often try to undo our well meaning policies, because they really do not want
    Females getting an education, or being elected bypassing tribal leaders.
    So our troops are cooped up in comfortable Fortresses, like CIA Director Gates just mentioned a few days ago, "not being involved in aggressive
    pursuit of enemy fighters" to avoid csualties that the candian puplic is not willing to accept. Karzai Goverment officials reciving kickback money from the local poppy warlords, have no interessed in "creating the security" that is needed to build. So the afghan civilians are cauht between a rock and a hard place, they can not trust their own goverment, they don't know how to converse with the foreign troops that are there "to protect them", who do not understand their language nevermind culture. They witness foreigners living in splendid luxury, here they even do not know where they can find food, shelter or medical attention the next day. Probably having lost relatives
    in "collateral accidents", money from the warlords, Taliban or whatever comnes in very handy for them. After all, they are proud people, and what do they have to loose. If they made friends with some canadian Soldiers, than those get rotated back home, and being replaced by someone who committs an inintentional cultural fauxpax. Clearly, there does not seem any coherent plan to do, what they made the puplic believe they would do about Afghanistan. My impression : There is the pressure of the White House on NATO ( an obsolete organization, since the Cold War is over) to play along, in the scheme, to keep Corporation Control over the Middle East.
    Nations in Europe and us in Canada have yielded to this pressure, and we act half- heartedly. More than half of the population in Canada is strictly against the presence of Canadian troops being there. The NATO members just playing for time with the White House, knowing that the current Administration will be replaced this year. Than everything will be up for new policies.
    Do I really want to send my Kids to the Armed Forces into conflicts like that ?
    "Hell No"
    So if that makes me a pacifist, Than I will wear Your classification with Pride.

yeah, I didn't mean pacifist literally, in the Gandhi sense. I just meant not a war-hawk / right-winger.

Comment

Re: Reporters like Christie Blatchford, Rosie DiManno ....

Originally posted by PatBC View Post
      I suggest if you want to know what is going in Afghanistan you might want to read the views of reporters who do not sit in air conditioned armored vehicle but rather have humped their butts up over the mountains of afghanistan. Reporters like Christie Blatchford, Rosie DiManno, or John D McHugh. No CBC, CTV or Global reporters has ever done that. Most Canadian reporters have never been outside Kandahar

Sorry, but the impression I get is, that they are just Cheerleaders in Combat Boots. The Name of the Game in Inbedded Journalism. I have a problem taking them serious. The military doesn't take kindly to the critical reporting of the Vietnam aera. You must be a person of faith to put any valuable truth to their style of reporting

As to all the trappings of civilization unlike any NATO exercise ever, Canadian soldiers are spending 30 days straight eating only MRE, with one change of cloths, no water to wash with, a week back in Kandahar then back out again. All the time out walking patrols, meeting villagers, running makeshift medical clinics never knowing if somebodies going to take an axe to their head. Not even a tent for shelter for the baking heat or the freezing cold in the winter. The only Canadian even gettting tent to sllep in are the base and yes they all sleep in tents even the civie employees.

15 different brands of scotch whiskey there isn't that in any officer mess in Canada let alone the base in Kandahar. The only officer mess I have ever seen that might have had 15 brands of scotch whiskey is the mess on RAF Lousiemouth in Scotland.

Yeah, cheers to that, I've been in the army too (Bundeswehr) and I had a few canadian buddies competing with our "Battle- Guzzlers. I know all about it. There is an official side to the story, and than there is a thing called reality. Not taking away, that some of the Grunts had to endure the hardship you mentioned above

As to replacement of the people in the White House every candidate of both parties calls for increasing the numbers of US troops in Afghanistan. Only Bush did not want to increase US troops in Afghanistan, because that would take resources from Iraq.
      Which is an unlawful War, a War of Agression. Bush and his lying Neocons
      should have been impeached. I still havn't giving up hope. Now there is a real
      heroic woman, and her name is Nancy Sheahan. She lost Her Son in Irak, and she keeps asking Georg Bush for many years now WHY ? Bush is refusing to answer Her. So Nancy started a Bush Impeachment Movement plus the anti Irak war movement. I truly wish her to succeed.

Comment

UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Start a thread on Zaitsev and it turns out to be another amongst millions agruing about the GWT.

You both had your says so I'm gonna act like the bouncer here: If you two have a problem with each other--TAKE IT OUTSIDE !!!

Comment

Re: Literature

Originally posted by PatBC View Post
          Wonder what book some consider great Literature then. I always thought Literature was fiction, usually tales about legends
          Well the powerful don't have to burn the particular literature anymore, they employ the more subtle means of marginalisation. It's the time of the
          "Spinmasters" to direct the public literature consumption.
          It's easy, they own the media and they decide what the puplic will consume.
          I take from your posts, that you have a lot of faith in what is being fed to you. How about a little dose of Skepticism ? Try to get diffrent angles.
          Find out, that Great writers have a way of reaching out from the past,
          that history repeats itself. Because we have choosen not to learn and educate about the mistakes of the past. If you have the time, read Hegel,
          Kant,Heine, Goethe, Schiller, Fallada, Tolstoy and because you are deeply
          embedded with the english , read Shakespear. Reading their books really do give me the dejavu experience.

Comment

Which is an unlawful War, a War of Agression. Bush and his lying Neocons
            should have been impeached. I still havn't giving up hope. Now there is a real
            heroic woman, and her name is Nancy Sheahan. She lost Her Son in Irak, and she keeps asking Georg Bush for many years now WHY ? Bush is refusing to answer Her. So Nancy started a Bush Impeachment Movement plus the anti Irak war movement. I truly wish her to succeed.
            Not talking abiout a Iraq talking about Afghanistan.

Afghanistan is NOT an illegal war it authorized by the United Nation in 2001, 2006 and most recently in 2007.

Resolution 1776 (2007)
            Adopted by the Security Council at its 5744th meeting, on
            19 September 2007
            The Security Council,
            Reaffirming its previous resolutions on Afghanistan, in particular its
            resolutions 1386 (2001), 1510 (2003), 1707 (2006) and 1746 (2007),
            Reaffirming also its resolutions 1267 (1999), 1368 (2001) and 1373 (2001),
            and reiterating its support for international efforts to root out terrorism in
            accordance with the Charter of the United Nations,
            Recalling its resolutions 1265 (1999), 1296 (2000), 1674 (2006) and 1738
            (2006) on the protection of civilians in armed conflict and its resolution 1325 (2000)
            on women and peace and security,
            Reaffirming its strong commitment to the sovereignty, independence, territorial
            integrity and national unity of Afghanistan,
            Recognizing that the responsibility for providing security and law and order
            throughout the country resides with the Afghan Authorities and welcoming the
            cooperation of the Afghan Government with the International Security Assistance
            Force (ISAF),
            Recognizing the multifaceted and interconnected nature of the challenges in
            Afghanistan, reaffirming that sustainable progress on security, governance and
            development, as well as the cross-cutting issue of counter-narcotics is mutually
            reinforcing and welcoming the continuing efforts of the Afghan Government and the
            international community to address these challenges in a coherent manner through
            the comprehensive framework provided by the Afghanistan Compact,
            Stressing the central role that the United Nations continues to play in
            promoting peace and stability in Afghanistan, noting, in the context of a
            comprehensive approach, the synergies in the objectives of the United Nations
            Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and of ISAF, and stressing the need
            for further sustained cooperation, coordination and mutual support, taking due
            account of their respective designated responsibilities,
            Reiterating its concern about the security situation in Afghanistan, in particular
            the increased violent and terrorist activities by the Taliban, Al-Qaida, illegally
            armed groups and those involved in the narcotics trade, and the links between
            http://daccessdds.un.org/doc/UNDOC/G...df?OpenElement

You do realize that Obama supports the mission in Afghanistan. Obama's website senate website

De-escalates the War with Phased Redeployment: Commences a phased redeployment of U.S. troops out of Iraq not later than May 1, 2007, with the goal that all combat brigades redeploy from Iraq by March 31, 2008, a date consistent with the expectation of the Iraq Study Group. This redeployment will be both substantial and gradual, and will be planned and implemented by military commanders. Makes clear that Congress believes troops should be redeployed to the United States; to Afghanistan; and to other points in the region. A residual U.S. presence may remain in Iraq for force protection, training of Iraqi security forces, and pursuit of international terrorists.

http://obama.senate.gov/press/070130...pl_1/index.php
            Last edited by PatBC; 17 Feb 08, 22:02.
            FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

Re: Take it outside

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
              UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Start a thread on Zaitsev and it turns out to be another amongst millions agruing about the GWT.

You both had your says so I'm gonna act like the bouncer here: If you two have a problem with each other--TAKE IT OUTSIDE !!!

Don't close the Bar yet, Just give me one more drink, and I'm outa here.
              And I did apologize, did I ?

Comment

Don't close the Bar yet, Just give me one more drink, and I'm outa here.
                And I did apologize, did I ?
                yeah, you apologized and then continued with the arguement.

Comment

Re: "The Argument"

yeah, you apologized and then continued with the arguement.
                  So forgivness is not in your heart ?
                  I'm sometimes a passionate person, and I do get carried away.

By the way, another good Zaitsev Movie I've seen a few years ago,
                  Stalingrad (1989), directed by Yuri Ozerov
                  and this one comes with an oddity, and american Actor Powers Boothe is playing Zaitzev.
                  Powers Boothe is also playing in "Angely Smerti" (1993), this time playing Marshall Zhukov. Please look it up on imdb.com

Comment

By the way, another good Zaitsev Movie I've seen a few years ago,
                    Stalingrad (1989), directed by Yuri Ozerov
                    and this one comes with an oddity, and american Actor Powers Boothe is playing Zaitzev.
                    Powers Boothe is also playing in "Angely Smerti" (1993), this time playing Marshall Zhukov. Please look it up on imdb.com
                    I was wondering about that. As you said the movie was in Russian I was trying to figure out if they lipsynched him. Further thought was Hollywood actors were always taking on stage-names so maybe his family background was Russian and could speak a little?

So forgivness is not in your heart ?
                    nope.

Comment

Re: American Star in russian WW2 movies

I was wondering about that. As you said the movie was in Russian I was trying to figure out if they lipsynched him. Further thought was Hollywood actors were always taking on stage-names so maybe his family background was Russian and could speak a little?

nope.
                      I was trying to research Powers Boothe's history on imdb.com a few years ago, to find out why he was playing in russian movies, but I didn't got very far. Please let me know, if you can find something out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X