Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vasily Zaitsev

Hello all;

Just saw “Russia’s War-Blood on the Snow” and the episode on Stalingrad. In it, there is an interview with Vasily Zaitsev in which he describes a sniper duel near some water hole which the Germans were frequenting. IIRC he says that it was only afterwards that he was informed that the German sniper he killed was head of Berlin sniper school and was sent there specifically to get him.

It seems that there isn’t any conclusive evidence one way or the other whether this mythical German sniper (Major Konig?) was ever actually sent to get Zaitsev (unless of course, you use the movie “Enemies at the Gate” as one’s source of info).

I'm not sure if this has been covered here already but I was hoping to get your opinions as to whether this duel ever really took place or not.

Zaitsev wasn't even the top ranking sniper, possibly not even in the top 3. There was probably no Major Konig.

Actually, I just checked in my Osprey's 'Heroes of the Soviet Union', there is a top 7 sniper list, Zaitsev didn't even make it into the top 7. The same book also states that the head of the German sniper school duel is a myth. Not to detract from any of the actual accomplishments of Mr. Zaitsev, of course.
    Last edited by Emil_G; 16 Feb 08, 11:52.

Comment

Hi Emil;

Zaitsev certainly felt there was a Konig (or whatever name), and states such in the interview. I wonder where he got the impression/information that the sniper he got was the mythical sniper?

Certainly Zaitsev wasn't close to being top sniper but I think the fact that his exploits took place during battle of Stalingrad help "heighten" his achievements versus others in perhaps lesser known theatres.

Comment

Haha maybe he picked up on the hype?

Comment

Is the "best"

the total number of kills, or something else?

Cheers

Tom

Comment

I think it's the top number of kills Tom, what else?

Oh and Canuckster, did Zaitsev mention anything about shooting "She Wolves" of the SS?

It's a joke, Emil and Tom will understand

Comment

The top sniper in the Osprey HSU book was a Cpt. Ivan Mikhailovich Sidorenko, with 500 confirmed kills. That's confirmed, now add up all the unconfirmed give or take.

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post

Oh and Canuckster, did Zaitsev mention anything about shooting "She Wolves" of the SS?

Haha I hope he did!

Comment

No, but he did mention that there was an inaccuracy in the movie "Enemy at the gate". The female sniper he was having a fling with was much better looking than Rachel Wiesc

Comment

I hope that's not the only inaccuracy he spotted! However, he is quite old now, I'd forgive him.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
                      Certainly Zaitsev wasn't close to being top sniper but I think the fact that his exploits took place during battle of Stalingrad help "heighten" his achievements versus others in perhaps lesser known theatres.
                      Also please remember in the beginning of the GPW the snipers almost were not presented in the RKKA. And it is known snipers were more efficient in trench war than in maneuverable one and especially in urban fighting. So in Stalingrad Zaitsev had best conditions to increase his account and by the end of Staingrad battle he has 257 kills - perhaps it was best soviet result for that time.

BTW there is a sort of overall best snipers list - though I don't know how reliable it is, sorry.
                      http://www.snipercentral.com/snipers.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Rambow View Post
                        Also please remember in the beginning of the GPW the snipers almost were not presented in the RKKA. And it is known snipers were more efficient in trench war than in maneuverable one and especially in urban fighting. So in Stalingrad Zaitsev had best conditions to increase his account and by the end of Staingrad battle he has 257 kills - perhaps it was best soviet result for that time.

BTW there is a sort of overall best snipers list - though I don't know how reliable it is, sorry.
                        http://www.snipercentral.com/snipers.htm
                        Thanks for the link Rambow. Rather funny that they have both Zaitsev and "Konig" listed with 400.

Did a bit more googling and found this bit "Between October 1942 and January 1943, Zaytsev had made 242 verified kills". Not sure about the others on the list and how long they were in the field to achieve their scores, but it would certainly seem Zaitsev set a pretty torrid pace during Stalingrad.

Comment

He was good, no doubt. But it seems the duel is a myth.
                          http://chickencrap.com/images/1472.jpg

Comment

Oh those wonderful movies in CFB Borden on Sunday night
                            FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

"Most of the great Literature is about the Nobility of the Warrior. We need People who will fight to the death for things. It's important"

I would like to know what kind of literature this poor woman is reading,
                              and about "things" that are worth fighting to the death.
                              Holy Sheep !
                              I don't want my children to die for the neocon corporations, never mind
                              "The Nobility of Warrior"
                              I still have a sore memory of our german "SS Nobility of the Warrior"
                              I'm canadian now, and I thought we are a little wiser in canada than that.
                              Now I'm hearing the "Fallen for the
                              f... & fatherland" theme again.
                              That is disturbing .
                              I apologize for getting a bit off the topic here, but this is still a "forum of the free" right ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X