Amusing Tank-Ramming story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amusing Tank-Ramming story

On the morning of 29 October 1936, Arman's company was assigned to support a Republican infantry attack by Brigade Lister and Brigade Bueno against Italian and Spanish Nationalist units in the village of Sesena, on the southern approaches to Madrid.

The attack on Sesena displayed problems and potential of the tactical employment of tanks in the Spanish conditions. The Spanish infantry had no training to operate with tanks, and Arman had no patience to wait for them. So ordered his company forward without the accompanying infantry. Of his 15 tanks, three were disabled almost immediately by mines on the road to the town, a novel experience as anti-tank mines had been a relatively rare affair in World War I. Pressing ahead, Arman bluffed his way past a battery of Nationalist field guns in the western outskirts of Sesena and his forces then attacked the main Nationalist positions in the town itself. One of his tanks was destroyed in the street fighting when struck by a flaming bottle of gasoline. This was the first time "Molotov cocktails" had been used in combat in Spain. After shooting up the Nationalist forces in the village, Arman led his company out of town eastward in an attempt to strike at the rear of the Nationalist forces. After overrunning a field gun battery, the T-26 tanks encountered three CV 3/35 tankettes of the Nationalist 1st Tank Company. The little vehicles were armed only with machine guns, and their counterattack against Arman's force was hopeless. One was destroyed at close range by tank fire, and another was pushed into a ditch and overturned by the much larger T-26 tanks.

No es buenoooooooooooo!!!

Yeah, native fascist armor was super sad. Too bad they learned by the time Barbarossa rolled around.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
      Yeah, native fascist armor was super sad. Too bad they learned by the time Barbarossa rolled around.
      I find the visual hilarious because if you are familiar with that tankette, not only does it have only machine guns, but it has not turret either, giving the crew limited visibility. Basically they would have to watch this T-26 ram it from the side and start pushing it.

Supposedly in Abyssinia one Ethiopian cavalryman rode up to one, banged on the hatch shouting at them in Italian. The crewmen opened up and poked their heads out, only to be decapitated by the sabre-wielding Ethiopian.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
        and another was pushed into a ditch and overturned by the much larger T-26 tanks.

No es buenoooooooooooo!!!
        lol
        FOOL! Now you have surrenderd your mighty 1 sided coin! wait what?

Comment

Yeah, I am familiar with the CV35, a sad little, toad-like contraption.

Comment

Supposedly in Abyssinia one Ethiopian cavalryman rode up to one, banged on the hatch shouting at them in Italian. The crewmen opened up and poked their heads out, only to be decapitated by the sabre-wielding Ethiopian.
            Haha! That's brutal! I also heard Ethiopian soldiers tried to shoot at the vision slits...

Comment

So not only tank-ramming but also cavalry charges VS tanks.
              and I was thinking that we aren't supposed to say these things anymore. Actually if the Italian tanker was that stupid it would surprise me. Their Armored crews were actually well trained, not like much of their conscripted infantry that gets such a bad name.

Comment

I for one never insisted that tank ramming never happened it just wasn't a regular way to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                  Yeah, I am familiar with the CV35, a sad little, toad-like contraption.
                  Yup! Looks almost exactly like the 2,540 T-27's the Soviets used.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbarossa View Post
                    Anything to bash the Soviets huh? The fact that the Soviets were fielding T-26s against the CVs back in the mid-30s ought to tell you something.

Comment

Slavyanski

Ease it back a bit, don't always assume things here, know what I mean?

Cheers, Questions work wonders, instead of just assuming members intent on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
                        Ease it back a bit, don't always assume things here, know what I mean?

Cheers, Questions work wonders, instead of just assuming members intent on this forum.
                        Tom, 'Barbarossa' is an anti-Russian troll. Just read any of his posts.

Originally posted by Barbarossa View Post
                        Yeah, you would have a point if we were talking about T-27 vs. CV-35 and not talking about T-26 vs. CV-35. Stop trolling.

Comment

There are other motives.....

Put him to the question (in a "nice" way), then go from there, there all many views held on the Eastern front, if we were all the same, why would we keep posting here.......

Cheers, just a thought, but we need to be civil, Alex (AMVAS), would you care to "weigh in" here?

Tom

Comment

Hey, I'm not swearing. That means I'm civil.

Comment

Anything to bash the Soviets huh? The fact that the Soviets were fielding T-26s against the CVs back in the mid-30s ought to tell you something.
                              It does. It tells me that the USSR was putting a lot of money into converting the world into communists...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X