Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nestor Makhno
    replied
    OK - 20th September is up - any takers for translating duties?

Leave a comment:

• Cmde.Slavyanski
    replied
    Originally posted by amvas View Post
    DjVu program is not for translating. It's a pecial software like Adobe Acrobat for compressing text and graphical files in DjVu format...
    http://www.lizardtech.com/

regards
    Alex
    I must have misheard the name when the guy told me about it, he was walking down some stairs when he told me.

Leave a comment:

• Nestor Makhno
    replied
    If any of you translation aficionados out there fancy a crack at a day from these diaries, let me know and I will upload the images for you - just name a day.

When you're done you can e-mail me the text. I will credit you on the site.

I only have Sept 1st, 18th and 19th up so far and I may return to these as I become more conversant with 62Aese. So there are plenty of days from Sept-Dec 1942 to choose from.

http://tonygillham.com/stalingrad/wd62a

Leave a comment:

• amvas
    replied
    Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
    Have you guys ever heard of a program called Deja Vu? Apparently it's a really good translator. I was thinking of using it for private translation on the side(not military related stuff). I figure I can either sit there translating line-by-line, wasn't an assload of time, or just computer-translate and fix up the cock-ups easily, since I know how to translate well. When it comes to making money, I'm not really in a mood to go through things line by line.
    DjVu program is not for translating. It's a pecial software like Adobe Acrobat for compressing text and graphical files in DjVu format...
    http://www.lizardtech.com/

regards
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• Cmde.Slavyanski
    replied
    Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
    I've used Deja Vu but never for translating, how exactly does that work? If I have Russian text on the computer I sometimes use online translators and fix it up, I've found that to be pretty efficient.
    I assume that whatever this program is that I have been offered, is most likely a little better than online translators, which generally suck. But since I would be dealing with simple business documents it makes sense to use a computer translator and then just clean it up. Often times, aside from basic grammar issues, I just have a look at the original when there is a major clusterf#$k, and straighten it out. I was able to translate Russian long before I was even conversant.

Leave a comment:

• Kunikov
    replied
    I've used Deja Vu but never for translating, how exactly does that work? If I have Russian text on the computer I sometimes use online translators and fix it up, I've found that to be pretty efficient.

Leave a comment:

• Cmde.Slavyanski
    replied
    Have you guys ever heard of a program called Deja Vu? Apparently it's a really good translator. I was thinking of using it for private translation on the side(not military related stuff). I figure I can either sit there translating line-by-line, wasn't an assload of time, or just computer-translate and fix up the cock-ups easily, since I know how to translate well. When it comes to making money, I'm not really in a mood to go through things line by line.

Leave a comment:

• Nestor Makhno
    replied
    Yup, I've found that I can translate memoirs from books and journals about 5-10 times quicker than the kind of abbreviated, idiomatic language used in these diaries.

I am getting a bit quicker - for example my fingers can translate "с задачей уничтожения противника" without any intervention from my brain, leaving it free to think about football and food.

Leave a comment:

• Kunikov
    replied
    I translated a good portion, about 70 pages, of archival documents for Jason Mark's latest book "Island of Fire". It isn't easy

Leave a comment:

• Nestor Makhno
    replied
    OK - well here is the first page:

http://tonygillham.com/stalingrad/wd62a/sep42/sep1

This ended up being a hell of a lot harder than I imagined so I doubt I will be doing 'a day a day' but I will hopefully get better at it as I get used to the staff officers' idioms and shorthand.

Leave a comment:

• Cmde.Slavyanski
    replied
    [QUOTE=amvas;859163

Seems to see them in English is more realistic

Regards
    Alex[/QUOTE]

Hey now, I'm already reading Rodimtsev's memoirs in Russian.

Leave a comment:

• amvas
    replied
    Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
    It looks like that would be a "dairy farm" specifically then.
    Exactly

Do you think I could get a copy of those diaries when I arrive in Volgograd?
    I won't be so optimistic...

I am wondering if I should just plow through them in Russian or wait for your translation.
    Seems to see them in English is more realistic

Regards
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• Cmde.Slavyanski
    replied
    It looks like that would be a "dairy farm" specifically then. Do you think I could get a copy of those diaries when I arrive in Volgograd? I am wondering if I should just plow through them in Russian or wait for your translation. Personally I am thinking about in the future translating some of Rodimtsev's memoirs, but so far I only have online versions of Guardsmen Stood to the Death and Under the Sky of Spain. What I need for my main project is a copy of Tvoya Rodina, Synok, because this supposedly contains details about Rodimtsev's airborne training and experience, according to Glantz's The Soviet Airborne Experience.

Leave a comment:

• amvas
    replied
    Hi,

Originally posted by Nestor Makhno View Post
    Those of you who have followed my posts know that I am full of projects regarding the VOV, particularly Stalingrad.

The problem for me is deciding which one to concentrate my efforts on. Well, I think a major part of my work now will be this...

I got hold of the 62nd Army war diaries for Sept-Dec 1942 and I intend to translate them and put them online as a public resource.
    If I'm right you got those from Sergei... He owns those diaries and sells them worldwide...
    I also have a pack of those together with battle schemes...

but I also have many other original TsAMO records, which Sergei has no...
    But they costs MUCH more...
    Index of them you can find here
    http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/raw.htm

I have just started on sept 1st and am already running into a lot of Russian military abbreviations which I do not understand. With the help of http://militera.lib.ru/docs/da/berlin_45/20.html I have solved most of them but there is one which is bugging me..... "зап."
    "зап." means West from...

e.g.

From this context I suppose it might be 'West' but, in that case, what is an MTF?
    MTF - молочно-товарная ферма
    In other words, farm

So far I have "169th tank Brigade withdrew from its subordination to the 35th Guards Rifle Division and concentrated in the region of Hills 81.0 and 125.0, MTF /zap. ALEKSEEVKA/."
    Any ideas?
    ...125.0 farm West from Alexeevka...

More abbreviations get from my page.
    They are tons of them!

Regards
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• Nestor Makhno
    started a topic 62nd Army War Diary - Translation project

62nd Army War Diary - Translation project

Those of you who have followed my posts know that I am full of projects regarding the VOV, particularly Stalingrad.

The problem for me is deciding which one to concentrate my efforts on. Well, I think a major part of my work now will be this...

I got hold of the 62nd Army war diaries for Sept-Dec 1942 and I intend to translate them and put them online as a public resource.

I have just started on sept 1st and am already running into a lot of Russian military abbreviations which I do not understand. With the help of http://militera.lib.ru/docs/da/berlin_45/20.html I have solved most of them but there is one which is bugging me..... "зап."

e.g.
    169 ТБр из подчинения 35 Гв. СД выбыла и сосредоточилась в районе выс. 81.0, 125.0, МТФ /зап. АЛЕКСЕЕВКА/.
    From this context I suppose it might be 'West' but, in that case, what is an MTF?

So far I have "169th tank Brigade withdrew from its subordination to the 35th Guards Rifle Division and concentrated in the region of Hills 81.0 and 125.0, MTF /zap. ALEKSEEVKA/."

Any ideas?

BTW I will start posting these on my webbie along with the original photocopies of the diaries as soon as I have a day or two knocked out.
    Last edited by Nestor Makhno; 10 Feb 08, 08:08.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X