Favourite WW2 Soviet tracked TD/SP/Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rambow View Post
    "Edit: I presume SU-76 in that poll mostly means SU-76M as most mass modification."
    Yes, I meant to include both SU-76 & SU-76M together as a single option.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by Barbos View Post
      "In the sense of overall deposit into the victory I would point on SU-76 as SP/Assault gun and SU-85 as tank destroyer. By 1943 the concept of light tank became dubious at the eastern front and both sides made accent on assault guns as universal tools for close support of infantry. SU-76 was light, cheap and therefore numerous, its gun was satisfactory in AP and HE purposes, so "suka" played a great role indeed. SU-152 was a heavy SP gun, much less numerous than SU-76 and designed for fighting heavy defenses. For AT purposes it was less effective due to low rate of fire, low AP ammo (only a few rounds) and mediocre accuracy of its comparatively short barrel.
      Among TD's SU-100 was great, but it arrived in fall 1944 and saw little service compared to SU-85 which was the first (fall 1943) more or less effective anti-tiger weapon.
      In 1943-44 the Soviets experimented with TD's equipped with very long (more than 70 clb) 85-mm guns, but they proved ineffective. There was also a dilemma between two prototypes of IS-2 heavy tank: one with 122-mm gun and another with 100-mm L60 gun that later went to SU-100. By 1944 the German heavy armor was not so big problem as breaking though heavily fortified defenses, so the Soviets chose 122-mm gun with greater HE effect, but payed for that by lower rate of fire and low AP ammo stock. To compensate this it was decided to install the long-barreled 100-mm gun on separate SP gun which led to creation of SU-100."
      Interesting points, thanks mate.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

OK, the poll closing date is only 7 days away so I cast my 3 votes (multiple choice poll). I voted for SU-76 (includes SU-76M), for its all-round usefulness, mobility and ubiquity. It was, IIRC, built in numbers second only to the T-34 in WW2. It also has very distinctive looks (not really good, just distinctive.)

The other two votes went to the SU-152 and ISU-152. These beasts had a bucking huge, very useful all-round gun that was great for infantry support, busting strongpoints and bunkers and they were also pretty effective against just about any AFV. I prefer the looks of the SU-152 (IMHO, a more beastly looking beast) and it was the first of the two in combat, seeing action in time for Kursk and giving some German tankers a nasty surprise. However, the later ISU-152 refined the concept and was an overall improvement.

Thanks to the other 16 people who voted.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X