Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of Soviet Personal equipment...how accurate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have actually seen a SVT for sale in Sweden I don´t remember if it was SVT-38 or SVT-40.
    “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

I found a photo of Soviet infantry on the move during the Soviet invasion of Poland 1939.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
        I found a photo of Soviet infantry on the move during the Soviet invasion of Poland 1939.

Good picture! The rucksack I posted earlier is clearly visible here. I don't envy the guy in the foreground who has to lug the 50mm mortar

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
          Good picture! The rucksack I posted earlier is clearly visible here. I don't envy the guy in the foreground who has to lug the 50mm mortar
          The time of the picture is 1939, September. It happened more than a year and a half before the German invasion in June 1941.

For those a year and a half Red Army changed significantly. T-34, KV, MiG-3, LaGG-3, Yak-1, IL-2, PPSh - Red Army got all this for those a year and a half. The same is with uniform of Red Army infantrymen. In 1941 Red Army had another uniform than in 1939. The man in your picture is dressed in uniform of 1939, the Red Army soldiers of 1941 had another uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
            The time of the picture is 1939, September. It happened more than a year and a half before the German invasion in June 1941.

For those a year and a half Red Army changed significantly. T-34, KV, MiG-3, LaGG-3, Yak-1, IL-2, PPSh - Red Army got all this for those a year and a half. The same is with uniform of Red Army infantrymen. In 1941 Red Army had another uniform than in 1939. The man in your picture is dressed in uniform of 1939, the Red Army soldiers of 1941 had another uniform.
            hmm... didnt the army of -39 use the M35 uniform or was there another one? the M43 uniform did get out on units untill around Kursk so for what I know -39 and -41 was same uniform?

/Thomas
            http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
            www.reenactor.se

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
              hmm... didnt the army of -39 use the M35 uniform or was there another one? the M43 uniform did get out on units untill around Kursk so for what I know -39 and -41 was same uniform?

/Thomas
              I am not an expert in M35, M43 names.

http://www.adm.khv.ru/gpw55/m1/uniform.htm

here is the site (in Russian) about the uniform. It is written there that in 1941 Red Army used uniform according Order #176 from December, 3rd of 1935. But for the time from 1935 till 1941 many little changes were done especially in the uniform of the generals.

For example, in 1941 the soldiers had helmet been designed in 1940. Of course it couldn't be used in 1939. The same is with haversack been designed in 1938 to be used instead of a rucksack.

Comment

Ok you guys: Thomas is right on the M35 and M43. The only major change in uniform in 1941 was the adoptation of the subdued collar tabs.

Helmets: There were 3 helmets. The SSh36, SSh39, and the Ssh40. All were used in the GPW. However, the SSh39 and the SSh40 look exactly the same, the difference b/w them is the LINER and rivets (how/where the liner was attached).

It was customary in the Red Army to "wear out" old models of helmet even when new ones were designed and adopted. That is why even in 1941 some troops were still wearing the SSh36 helmet.

Comment

Ok you guys: Thomas is right on the M35 and M43. The only major change in uniform in 1941 was the adoptation of the subdued collar tabs.
                  No, you are wrong. Compare the pictures.

Helmets: There were 3 helmets. The SSh36, SSh39, and the Ssh40. All were used in the GPW. However, the SSh39 and the SSh40 look exactly the same, the difference b/w them is the LINER and rivets (how/where the liner was attached).

It was customary in the Red Army to "wear out" old models of helmet even when new ones were designed and adopted. That is why even in 1941 some troops were still wearing the SSh36 helmet.
                  If sometimes soldiers were weared in helmets of old models in initial period of the war (it was very rarely) it was only because they still had no new ones.

To show a soviet soldier in old model of helmet as a common image of a Soviet infantryman is the same as to show T-35 as a common image of a Soviet tank of the initial period of the war.

Comment

If sometimes soldiers were weared in helmets of old models in initial period of the war (it was very rarely) it was only because they still had no new ones.

To show a soviet soldier in old model of helmet as a common image of a Soviet infantryman is the same as to show T-35 as a common image of a Soviet tank of the initial period of the war.

It was not that rare. I have lots of pictures in books of Soviet soldiers wearing old style helmets in 1941. In fact, for example, in the order for the discontinuation of the 'budenovka', the order specifically states to 'wear out' those hats that are already issued.

Comment

What pictures???

Comment

It was not that rare. I have lots of pictures in books of Soviet soldiers wearing old style helmets in 1941. In fact, for example, in the order for the discontinuation of the 'budenovka', the order specifically states to 'wear out' those hats that are already issued.
                        It was rare. I also saw many pictures and saw the old helmets very rarely.

The same was with "budenovka"

Comment

It was rare. I also saw many pictures and saw the old helmets very rarely.

The same was with "budenovka"
                          Ok you saw little, I saw lots. Oh well. Hey, I think the SSh36 is the coolest helmet! It's my favorite! I think pictures of it were supressed after the war because it resembles the German M35 stalhem - it was influenced by it.

Comment

Hey, I think the SSh36 is the coolest helmet! It's my favorite! I think pictures of it were supressed after the war because it resembles the German M35 stalhem - it was influenced by it.
                            I like the real helmets of 1941-45 (SSh40) more. It was like US helmets of WWII and VIetnam War

Comment

I like the real helmets of 1941-45 (SSh40) more. It was like US helmets of WWII and VIetnam War
                              Well, it was a practical helmet. SSh40's were used until the 1980's for training/cadets. Maybe they still are?

Comment

I havent tryed the 36 so cant say about that one but the 40 sits perfect on my head, I actually prefers that one before the modern Swedish one (first version, the 2nd version we have are wastly improved) wich says allot imo about the 40

ABout the M35 vs M43 the major differences are the shoalder boards and that the Collar are different in shape. M43 added an inner collar that are white and need to be white on ewery morning visitation :P
                                http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
                                www.reenactor.se

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X