Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of Soviet Personal equipment...how accurate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah they had these almost mideviel looking breast-plates, pretty cool.

Comment

Easy on Andrey guys

He does try to help out here on more than a few times on this forum, I'm just sayin here....

Cheers, don't take everything to personally on the site, as to posts and what they really mean, ya know?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
        About equipment: What about assault battalions. Aside from the usual Ppsh armament or flame throwers, was there anything comparable to German sturmpioneers? American logistics were very good in WW2 and smoke was almost always used in the assault or movement to contact. Germans had enough to equip Pioneers. What about Soviet assaults?
        It was already in 1941 or in 1942 when Zhukov ordered to prepare assault groups in ALL infantry units. Those were specilly trained groups of soldiers. They were prepared to operate alone or in coordination with tanks and artillery. Usually their training, stuff, equipment and abilities depended from initiative and views local commanders. By 1945 in Germany the tactics of using of assault groups which operated tohether with tanks, artillety and tactical aircraft had become widely spreaded.

In 1945 usually they were mobile groups of sub-machine gunners moved on T-34 and Studebeckers. They had 45-mm artillery guns as light guns for street fights, captured Panzerfausts and so on, it depended from their initiative.
        Last edited by Andrey; 05 Feb 08, 06:28.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
          You had sapper units (Dont know to what size, but sure Coys atleast) wich had camoflauge suits (amobea and stuff like that) and body armour, but thats pretty much what made them stand out, exept from flamethrowers maybe.

But thats all I know,wich isnt much
          Sapper units is another story.

In Russia sappers are military builders. They usually build roads and bridges, also they can lay and remove mines. They were not destined to fight in the first line. Usually they consisted of low-quality conscripts. They were builders mainly.

Amazingly but in Viermacht ELITE ASSAULT troops were called sappers!!! It was a large surprise for me when I understood it.

For us a sapper is an old 45-years-old soldier with an archaic rifle whose destination is to build something.

In Red Army camouflage suits were used in ordinary units. Some type of troops used it more often, for example, tactical scouts who went in local enemy rears (look "The Star" movie).

Body armor was used rarely. For example, there was a volunteer corps organized in an Ural city where a large metallurgical plant was (in Cheliabinsk? I don't remember). So it was considered the unit of that plant so delegations of the plant often visited the corps with presents from their people in rears to fighting soldiers. (In the USSR such actions were called "shefstvo" ("patronage") of a plant, collective farm, city, theater and so on to a unit). And that plant produced a few thousand steel breast plates and presented them to the soldiers of "their" corps. So it was only a local initiative.
          Last edited by Andrey; 05 Feb 08, 06:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
            Sapper units is another story.

In Russia sappers are military builders. They usually build roads and bridges, also they can lay and remove mines. They were not destined to fight in the first line. Usually they consisted of low-quality conscripts. They were builders mainly.

Amazingly but in Viermacht ELITE ASSAULT troops were called sappers!!! It was a large surprise for me when I understood it.

For us a sapper is an old 45-years-old soldier with an archaic rifle whose destination is to build something.

In Red Army camouflage suits were used in ordinary units. Some type of troops used it more often, for example, tactical scouts who went in local enemy rears (look "The Star" movie).

Body armor was used rarely. For example, there was a volunteer corps organized in an Ural city where a large metallurgical plant was (in Cheliabinsk? I don't remember). So it was considered the unit of that plant so delegations of the plant often visited the corps with presents from their people in rears to fighting soldiers. (In the USSR such actions were called "shefstvo" ("patronage") of a plant, collective farm, city, theater and so on to a unit). And that plant produced a few thousand steel breast plates and presented them to the soldiers of "their" corps. So it was only a local initiative.
            Okay a translation error then, because when I (in sweden)say "sapper" i mean like combat enginers, when I say Enginers I mean bridge builders...

so the body armour wasnt so widespread in usage?
            http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
            www.reenactor.se

Comment

Here's the body armor - HERE and no, it not widespread. It was only used in "shock" units, and I think mainly in urban fighting.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Such a fat guy in the Red Army?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
                              Okay a translation error then, because when I (in sweden)say "sapper" i mean like combat enginers, when I say Enginers I mean bridge builders...

so the body armour wasnt so widespread in usage?
                              In Russia Engineer Troops are the same as sappers. Builders, not fighting units. So no difference.

body armour was very rare event.

In street fighting it was a mean which decrease mobility and maneurability. I think many soldiers preferred to be lighter than to have such armor

Comment

Picture 104: how common was that shade of green (shirt and puttees)? It looks almost like German "pickle" green.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X