Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of Soviet Personal equipment...how accurate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually pockets in coats are kind of a serious thing, because they weren't always there. I believe first uniforms with pockets were introduced to the Russian army in the second half of the 1880's.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
      He is in the VVS! Blue tabs are for air! And I think you can make out the little "wings" in the pin on his tabs.
      Actually the caption on the original photo says he was in the "signal" army it seems. I was disappointed because I thought he might have been VDV. I know that they generally had different equipment but I know a lot of airborne units served in infantry and thought that by 1943 some of them might have been issued normal army uniforms. Also I wasn't sure what uniform was worn under their jumpsuits.

Comment

oh yeah you are right; I got confused b/w the all-blue of the Air troops and the black with blue piping of the technical troops.
        Last edited by Emil_G; 27 Jan 08, 13:52.

Comment

Originally posted by F4UCorsair View Post
          Excellent pictures. Always wondered how the round PPsH magazine was handled. The other ammo pouches look as would have expected. Again, there are a lot of pictures out there where the troops seem to lack even this bare bones equipment. Probably just looking at too many propoganda pictures where some film crew felt the pouches were "clumsy looking".
          Well not only that, it seems like russians like to attack light...
          we had a event last summer with russian guys coming from kaliningrad and despite that they had full kit with them they moved into combat pretty bare boned.. just a bottle of water, sometimes just small ammo pouch, nothing more.

So it seems like its russian mentality to be as light as possible when going into combat. Me, I have all extra stuff added to my equiptment, wich really makes you wonder how correct you are with all that stuff on.

/Thomas
          http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
          www.reenactor.se

Comment

The folly of imposing recent experience is obvious at this point. Obviously, without NODs, radios, claymores, strob lights, infrared panels, a belt of ammo for the M60... all of which had to go forward somehow, you end up in the equivalent of the equipment the Soviets used at Stalingrad. Their lightweight approach is not only explainable, it is by far the most logical way too attack. Good input, gentlemen. The old pictures "fit".
            "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Comment

The photos provided by Emil_G are archaic for 1941.

1. I VERY rarely saw red star on caskets.

2. The helmet is an OLD model casket, the Soviet helmets of 1941-45 differed a little and were nicer

3. The trousers should be the same color as the blouse.

4. Greatcoats were carried by the other way - they were rolled up and carried through the left shoulder, its ends were connected on the right side below his arm.

5. The soldiers had a haversack on their back.

It is the common image of the Soviet soldier of the first period of the war - a soldier in a helmet WITHOUT red star, with rifle with attached bayonet and with rolled up greatcoat over the left shoulder.

like this
              http://www.ruscico.com/dvd.php?lang=en&dvd=322
              also see the attachment

In the end of the war the common image changed - now it was soldier with the same helmet armed by PPSh, with shoulder straps and with waterproof cape-tent over shoulders (or in blouse only).

How to fight - with full ammunition or with only useful for combat things - it was decided depending from the situation.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Andrey; 02 Feb 08, 11:45.

Comment

Haha Andrei, my pictures were mainly to illustrate the different styles of AMMO POUCHES, because that's what our friend asked for and which they did well.

By the way, the word is "helmet". A "casket" is something you bury a dead person in.

Comment

Haha Andrei, my pictures were mainly to illustrate the different styles of AMMO POUCHES, because that's what our friend asked for and which they did well.

By the way, the word is "helmet". A "casket" is something you bury a dead person in.
                  ok. but it is possible to find the better pictures for this purpose. Now he is asking about about AMMO POUCHES, tomorrow he will look on your pictures and will ask something other.
                  Last edited by Andrey; 02 Feb 08, 11:43.

Comment

www.rkka.ru pictures are great, I don't know what you're talking about!

Comment

www.rkka.ru pictures are great, I don't know what you're talking about!
                      I am talking about the picture of the soldier with rifle that you provided.

And they are not so great like you speak. I saw better pictures.
                      Last edited by Andrey; 02 Feb 08, 22:10.

Comment

ooookey

Comment

ooookey
                          Im lost to, Andrey can you explain what you are talking about and post betther pictures? cuz im really confused here...
                          www.reenactor.se

Comment

ok i THINK he doesn't like that one of my pictures showed a an earlier, peace-time uniform...oh well.

Comment

About equipment: What about assault battalions. Aside from the usual Ppsh armament or flame throwers, was there anything comparable to German sturmpioneers? American logistics were very good in WW2 and smoke was almost always used in the assault or movement to contact. Germans had enough to equip Pioneers. What about Soviet assaults?

Comment

You had sapper units (Dont know to what size, but sure Coys atleast) wich had camoflauge suits (amobea and stuff like that) and body armour, but thats pretty much what made them stand out, exept from flamethrowers maybe.

But thats all I know,wich isnt much
                                www.reenactor.se

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Robi P.
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                  Today, 02:27
                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                • casanova
                                  Nuclear battleheads.
                                  by casanova
                                  A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                  Yesterday, 23:58
                                Working...
                                X