Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
    Mhm... there is a pic I love...

Its a T-34 M43 with tankriders on that crosses a road with a knocked out Tiger on... in winter setting... jummy... so beautiful...

OK the Tiger isnt burning, but its still knocked out

/Thomas
    Please post this picture.
    Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
    Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
    David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by PzKfwBob View Post
      Please post this picture.
      If I could find it again
      I had it on my computer before it crashed, I know I uploaded the pic somewhere but damn me if I can find it... I will keep my eyes out for it thoe
      http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
      www.reenactor.se

Comment

Found it!

But im not so sure its a M43 more thoe, hard to see on the pic, nevertheless its a T-34 atleast and that Tiger looks like its burning actually
        /Thomas
        www.reenactor.se

Comment

Found it!

But im not so sure its a M43 more thoe, hard to see on the pic, nevertheless its a T-34 atleast and that Tiger looks like its burning actually
          /Thomas
          Yes, I can confirm that it's a 'model '43' (or at least, that it has the turret normally associated with the model '43).

T-34s with that basic configuration of turret started to appear, IIRC from about Aug/Sep 1942. Many references still refer even to the early ones as 'model '43' but some refer to them as 'late model '42 with improved turret' or simply, 'model '42 with improved turret'.
          Last edited by panther3485; 03 Feb 08, 06:10.
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
            Yes, I can confirm that it's a 'model '43' (or at least, that it has the turret normally associated with the model '43).

T-34s with that basic configuration of turret started to appear, IIRC from about Aug/Sep 1942. Many references still refer even to the early ones as 'model '43' but some refer to them as 'late model '42 with improved turret' or simply, 'model '42 with improved turret'.
            Well im a bit easier on that one, any version who have the square formed turret is a M43 for me, nomatther when they started the production (Keep it simple... )
            www.reenactor.se

Comment

"The Tigers Are Burning" Great pic!!!

Comment

Well im a bit easier on that one, any version who have the square formed turret is a M43 for me, nomatther when they started the production (Keep it simple... )
                Yep, you can think of it as you please, of course. I'm just pointing out that some references will not call the early ones model '43s, despite the turret. They will call them model '42s. One example:

'T-34 Medium Tank (1939-1943)', Mikhail Baryatinskiy, Ian Allan Publishing, 2007 - pages 33-35 (text and photos) + page 47 (scale drawing).

(This is one of the better references on the subject, IMHO)

When I post, I do not do so purely for your benefit but also for that of any other members who might be reading, and might either become confused or take issue, if reading references such as the one mentioned above.
                "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                  'T-34 Medium Tank (1939-1943)', Mikhail Baryatinskiy, Ian Allan Publishing, 2007 - pages 33-35 (text and photos) + page 47 (scale drawing).

(This is one of the better references on the subject, IMHO)
                  I dont have that one, guess you recomend it thoe?

/Thomas
                  www.reenactor.se

Comment

"I dont have that one, guess you recomend it thoe?"
                    Yes, as far as references that are available in English are concerned, I think it's definitely one of the better ones. Zaloga's later stuff is pretty good as well. Baryatinskiys book only covers the T-34/76, though. Hopefully, there will be another volume forthcoming on the T-34-85.

Having said all this, for us readers of English, we are still waiting for a truly definitive and complete work on the T-34. We live in hope!

Comment

Found it!

/Thomas
                      Thank you very kindly.
                      Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                      Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                      David Bowie

Comment

My Favorite Russian Heavy Tank (WWII)

I think the ISII was the best all around heavy tank of the war with a powerful gun, excellent protection and speed. On little more than half the tonnage of a JagdTiger, the ISII's main gun could penetrate the armor of most German tanks (maybe not the glacis plate, except at close range) and had a low silhouette, making the type a difficult target (improved with the ISIII).
                        This heavy tank was little heavier than the PzKw V and for my money had the best bang for the buck.
                        Peace is Our Profession

Comment

Originally posted by Schwerepunkt View Post
                          I think the ISII was the best all around heavy tank of the war with a powerful gun, excellent protection and speed. On little more than half the tonnage of a JagdTiger, the ISII's main gun could penetrate the armor of most German tanks (maybe not the glacis plate, except at close range) and had a low silhouette, making the type a difficult target (improved with the ISIII).
                          This heavy tank was little heavier than the PzKw V and for my money had the best bang for the buck.
                          I agree the IS-2 was an excellent heavy tank. Its speed was nothing to really get excited about, though, at 37 Km/h (about 23 mph) max on roads.

Comment

I've just visited another forum where heavy tanks were being 'discussed'. Unfortunately the 'fanboys' were out in force on this one and any reference to Soviet tanks was howled down with the usual stuff about German tanks destroying them from 3.5 kilometres away, the Russian vehicles having no chance against the frontal armour of German vehicles, and, would you believe, the out and out fact that the King Tiger was the most mechanically advanced tank of the war and was actually highly reliable, just like all the German Cats !?!

P.S. I didn't have the heart to ask them to clarify who actually won the war. It is good to be able to come back here to actual reality.

Comment

Originally posted by MAGNA View Post
                              I've just visited another forum where heavy tanks were being 'discussed'. Unfortunately the 'fanboys' were out in force on this one and any reference to Soviet tanks was howled down with the usual stuff about German tanks destroying them from 3.5 kilometres away, the Russian vehicles having no chance against the frontal armour of German vehicles, and, would you believe, the out and out fact that the King Tiger was the most mechanically advanced tank of the war and was actually highly reliable, just like all the German Cats !?!

P.S. I didn't have the heart to ask them to clarify who actually won the war. It is good to be able to come back here to actual reality.
                              It's almost a temptation to go there and get stuck into them myself.

Comment

Its hard to learn something new if your already have stuck your head in a crate with your own opinions only...

Hmmm Tiger being mechanical reliable?? wow that is news for me... I always heard one of its mayor drawbacks was just that it was mechanical unreliable especially when it comes to suspension and powerline... but hey if your a fanatic german cat lover you are a german cat lover. not much to say then really.

/Thomas
                                www.reenactor.se

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X