• Time
  • Show
Clear All

HUGE scale model of T-35?

ohboyohboyohboy

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
      ohboyohboyohboy
      Yeah, it's about twice the length of most of my other 1/35 model tanks. Putting the models next to each other really brings home just how huge the T-35 was in real life. I had only just begun the contruction of this model about two years ago and then put it back in the box. I will finish building it some day, in the near future I hope.

The kit is produced by ICM; a Ukrainian company. The quality is fairly good, with a bit of extra work to make parts fit properly but not too much. There is a fair bit of interior detail, including fighting compartment, engine & transmission etc. Nice model.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Well I'm sticking by the old Land Battleship, these bad boys must have inspired a fear factor lumbering towards infantry.

Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
        Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
        David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by PzKfwBob View Post
          Well I'm sticking by the old Land Battleship, these bad boys must have inspired a fear factor lumbering towards infantry.

IIRC from my readings, many of the small number of T-35s available were lost through mechanical breakdown, some falling victim to the Luftwaffe. Relatively few were lost in ground combat.
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

It really took part in combat? I doubt it. Those clumsy tank couldn't follow the speed of war, and I think most of them were either abadoned or captured from the very first days of combat.
            "My only desire is that all of our Party and people, closely united in struggle, construct a peaceful, unified, independent, democratic and prosperous, and make a valiant contribution to the world Revolution" - Ho Chi Minh's will

Comment

A few might have been used against Poland in '39 maybe?

EDIT: checked, and nope it did not take any part in any combat until GPW. No on the Finn war as well. Read all about it http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?...d=91&Itemid=50
              Last edited by Emil_G; 24 Jan 08, 10:35.

Comment

Originally posted by RGA View Post
                "It really took part in combat? I doubt it."
                While the T-35 didn't take part in any conflict before the Great Patriotic War, most of the sources I have consulted allow for the possibility that a few may have managed to become involved in the ground fighting in Barbarossa (however briefly and ineffectively). Most sources appear to confirm that the majority broke down, and/or that a few were knocked out from the air.

Originally posted by RGA View Post
                "Those clumsy tank couldn't follow the speed of war, and I think most of them were either abadoned or captured from the very first days of combat."
                Precisely; the key word here is 'most'. That's why I was careful to say, "....many of the small number of T-35s available were lost through mechanical breakdown, some falling victim to the Luftwaffe."
                I had been unable to find either confirmation or denial of a few being lost in ground combat. My references don't rule it out, and I don't see how it can be ruled out; it is simply not confirmed. So perhaps I should have said "relatively few, if any were lost in ground combat" rather than just "relatively few". But of course, even if you can't get to the battle, the battle can still get to you. I wonder, did all the crews abandon their tanks before the Germans reached them, or did a few of them try to fight? It seems a distinct possibility to me, that a few of them might have done so.

Either way, I think it is reasonable to conclude that the tank was pretty much a failure overall, when it came to the crunch.
                Last edited by panther3485; 24 Jan 08, 15:17.

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
                  Even if Scott is correct about the KV-2, I still voted for it just cause it looks so cool with that huge square turret. Plus the incident during the early part of the war when one stood at a crossroads and the Nazis just could not destroy it.
                  Ditto
                  And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
                  Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
                  Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
                  Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?...251&Itemid=123

It is possible to see, that some tanks were lost in fight.

Comment

The Iron Roadblock Legend

There is a map based on this story in CMBB, although the tank featured there is a KV-1. The forces the Germans have there are a joke though. I don't think there is anything bigger then a PZ-II or the 8wheel armored cars. Because I can take a KV-1 with a PZ-III easy, if I can outmanuever it and blast it in the side. One of my biggest WTF moments in CMBB came when a freakin AT-HALF TRACK knocked out my KV-1 at close range.

I played a similar mission where the tank was a KV-2 and got owned. Although I would have won if I set up my '88 right, but the way CMBB handles towed 88's is really obtuse and hard to control where they will dismount.
                      Last edited by Emil_G; 25 Jan 08, 01:38.

Comment

Originally posted by serg View Post

It is possible to see, that some tanks were lost in fight.
                        Thanks serg! I was looking for this list!!!

I find this entry especially heart-breaking, if darkly comical:

#288-11 29.6.41 near Lvov, fallen from bridge and burned with his crew;

You can just see them trying to drive this stupid thing on a flimsy bridge, and it falling off it like a dying elephant.

Overall in this list I only counted 4 tanks destroyed by the enemy. All other seem to be mechanical failures and accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by serg View Post

"It is possible to see, that some tanks were lost in fight."
                          Thanks for that link, serg. It's the best and most comprehensive information I've seen so far, on what happened to those T-35s.

Comment

Brief summary about T-35s see here
                            http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/w...3.htm#1. T-35.

I collected there info about all the vhicles lost in combat
                            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                              "Overall in this list I only counted 4 tanks destroyed by the enemy. All other seem to be mechanical failures and accidents."
                              Looking at this list, all the T-35s shown for 67th Tank Regiment seem to have been lost either through some sort of mechanical failure or because they were undergoing repair work at the time and were thus unserviceable from the outset.

Most of those in 68th Tank Regiment also appear to have gone down to the above causes, and/or were destroyed by their own crews for whatever reason. However, we do have the following:

First, these four, which I believe are the ones you refer to

#399-48 30.6.41 near Belo-Kamenka, has been knocked out by enemy;

#220-25 30.6.41 Ptich'e village, knocked out during attack;

#988-16 30.6.41 Ptich'e village, knocked out during attack;

#200-0 - Ptich'e village, knocked out during attack

Note that the precise cause of being knocked out is not shown. We might reasonably presume it was some sort of ground action. (Although, from the evidence so far, it's not possible to totally rule out some sort of involvement from the Luftwaffe in every single case.)

Then this one, which simply says 'knocked out'

#148-39 30.6.41 near Verba, knocked out;

From my interpretation, this seems likely also to have been from some sort of enemy action, which if correct would give us a total of five lost in actual fighting. Again, the precise cause is not specified. So, I'll call that 4, +1 probable. (The entry is distinctly different from the one I show next.)

This one was obviously destroyed by its own crew

#288-74 1.7.41 near Tarnopol, failure of transmission, knocked out by crew;

So, we can't count that one - still four + one probable.

Reason for loss of next one appears to be unknown

#288-14 28.6.41 near Zapit' village, lost without a trace;

'Lost without a trace' could mean just about anything, so this one could have been out of contact and then KO'd in some sort of ground action, or destroyed from the air, or simply 'disappeared' and wasn't found or accounted for. Or whatever.

The next two appear to have been immobilized through mechanical failure but suffered destruction by enemy action, rather than their own crews:

Mechanical failure, but destroyed by enemy action

#200-9, #339-30, #744-61 30.6.41 abandoned due to failure of transmission, #200-9 has been knocked out by enemy and burned, optic and armament have been taken away from all vehicles;

#339-68 30.6.41 failure of side clutch, hit by enemy and burned near Brodu town;

Again, in neither case is the precise type of enemy action specified. Also, in the case of tank #339-68, although it may well have been abandoned by the crew before being hit by the enemy this is not confirmed either.

EDIT: Tank #339-68 was destroyed by shells. (See link posted by amvas above or my post #30 below)

So from the information contained on those lists, from all the tanks shown, it looks to me like we have the following number of 'losses in combat':

4 confirmed, 1 probable, 1 possible.

Further, the list accounts for 47 T-35s. If the figure of 61 built (not counting two prototypes) is correct, that leaves another 14 not yet accounted for.

Best regards,
                              panther3485
                              Last edited by panther3485; 25 Jan 08, 07:02.

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
                                Brief summary about T-35s see here
                                http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/w...3.htm#1. T-35.

I collected there info about all the vhicles lost in combat
                                Thanks mate, that's very helpful too. This interpretation gives us a total of eight "losses in combat".

I noticed a discrepancy between your link and the one posted by serg. The tanks lost to enemy action are shown as 68th Regiment in his source, but as 67th Regiment in yours.

But at least now, we can see that tank #339-68 was destroyed by shells; so far, that's the only case I can see from either source where a specific cause of destruction by the enemy is actually shown.
                                Last edited by panther3485; 25 Jan 08, 07:01.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X