Commissars, good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commissars, good idea?

A person with the ability to make battlefield executions for anyone 'found wanting' or treasonous, as well as meant to inspire and keep up morale.

do you think the commissar as a whole was a good idea? use rousing speeches to drive them foward, and if that fails, use fear and intimidation.

in my opinion i would do, if i had my own army i would make sure i have some
    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
    A man dies and leaves his name,
    A teacher dies and teaches death.
    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

General,

Shame on you. They were designated "Deputy Commander for Political Elements" (after 1942) and Member of the Military Council (before 1942).

Time for you to be re-assigned to Siberia to count the trees.

konev

Comment

whoops, oh well, commissar sounds better and takes less time to say

but siberia sounds fun...snow men!

Comment

thanks for the links, but i was wondering your opinion, i didnt see an opinion in those, so what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Konev View Post
          General,

Shame on you. They were designated "Deputy Commander for Political Elements" (after 1942) and Member of the Military Council (before 1942).

konev
          so can you tell me why they were redesignated? thats so long and well commissar just sounds so much better if you ask me

Comment

The reason they were redesignated from 1942 on was because the Commissar lost his position as a "dual-commander". Instead of having two company commanders, there now was one.

konev

Comment

Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post
              thanks for the links, but i was wondering your opinion, i didnt see an opinion in those, so what do you think?
              1. Your question is based on your limited knowledge about what commissars were which is also distorted by Cold War time propaganda stamps that are being used even by many modern Western authors.

A commissars with a pistol who goes behind of attacking soldier lines and shots cowards and traitors immediately is a Western propaganda stamp. If it was it was VERY rarely.

Study commissars duties according the info on this forum.

2. If to speak about shooting of ownm soldiers in a battlefield so as I know regular officers - non commissars could do it in some cases. For example, if a units run or a group of soldiers wanted to surrender an officer could shoot a few panic-mongers or the most active traitors to prevent such actions in large scale.

Every soldiers of Red Army swore: "And if I betray my comrades so let's my comrades punish me"

3. The US never fought in conditions on which the Soviets fought.

4. Commissars were a good idea.
              Last edited by Andrey; 08 Dec 07, 19:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Konev View Post
                General,

konev
                Incorect. In 1941-45 "Member of Military Council" was the official name of a large scale commissar for formations of an Army and higher scale. It was a tradition of the Civil War time. In that time the Armies were commanded not by the Army's commanders but by Revolutionary-Military Council. Many army commanders were low educated so most of the armies contained a "military expert" - former professional officer of regular Tsar Army. But those officers were unreliable and often had anti-Communist views, Commissar (I don't know the exact name of his post in that time but I think it was Memeber of Revolutionary-Military Council) was a representative of the Communists to watch for the actions of "military expert".

In June, 22nd, 1941 the Red Army units that were lower than an Army had no commissars, it had "Deputies of Commanders in Political Issues". Those guys were renamed to commissars in the end of June-begining of July. It was done to recall about the Civil War time where Red Army had won.

And yes in late 1942 the commissars of the units lower than an army were again turned into "Deputies of Commanders in Political Issues".
                Last edited by Andrey; 08 Dec 07, 20:13.

Comment

To kinda agree with Andrey, but on a different note, in the Civil War and I'm assuming a lot of Napoleonic battle. The NCOs were issued pistols and the Sgts and Cpls duties included making sure the line was held if they had to shoot deserters that ran during the battle. I don't know if any ever did but its in Hardee's under duties of NCOs.
                  The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X