Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Western Front against Third Reich" by V.Zolotarev - What do you think of this book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Western Front against Third Reich" by V.Zolotarev - What do you think of this book?

Hello,

I would like to as for your oppinion on the book "Western Front against Third Reich" by V.Zolotarev, 2005.
    The original russian title is "Второй фронт против Третьего рейха. В.А. Золотарев [ISBN: 5-89173-303-X]"

As well as what is your oppinion on the chapter "Второй фронт глазами Уолтера Дана" on the page 445? I guess in English the name sounds as Walter S. Dunn.
    How reasonable do you find his arguments abount the possibility of the Western front in 1943?
    Where can I find that work in English?

P.S: I whould really value the oppinion of the honorable Mr.Armstrong! As well as others, of course!
    Last edited by Egorka; 15 Nov 07, 18:08.
    Kind regards
    Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
    * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
    * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Sadly the first I've heard of the book. Could you give a resume of it's content?

Comment

I think Dunn is one of two English language historians who published books arguing that a Second Front, that is an US/British invasion of France was both possible & desireable in 1943. However I have not read Dunn. Others tell me his arguments are poor and data bad. The persons disparaging Dunn seem credible & i suspect any Russian reading the book refered to here would be wise to use anything by Dunn as a starting point and not regard his arguments as conclusive.

The other author is Grigg. His book (1943. The Victory That Never Was) is devoted to the circumstances surrounding the US/Brit decision not to invade France in 1943. Specificly he discusses the personalities, circumstances, politics and arguments present at the Casablanca confrence in January of 1943, where the decision was made to attack Europe first in Italy, and then in France later. Grigg makes the arguments for attacking France first in 1943 in his last chapter. But he provides no specific data. I have found Griggs arguments clear enough to serve as a research guide, but have collected only a few bits of data supporting his thesis.

Egorka...If you go to these two discussions in the Alternate History section you can read a few opinions on the subject. I'll watch for your question here or those two places.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=55598

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=55599
      Last edited by Carl Schwamberg; 15 Nov 07, 19:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
        Egorka...If you go to these two discussions in the Alternate History section you can read a few opinions on the subject. I'll watch for your question here or those two places.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=55598

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=55599
        Nice threads!!! Though it will take me a while to read through them.
        But I will sure do so.

Thanks!
        Kind regards
        Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.

Comment

I've got a few books written by Dunn...but I've been told not to waste any more money on his stuff...person who told me is someone whose opinion I very much value, so I'll be following their advice.
          "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
          "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
          "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Egorka,

I have not read the book, and I am not familiar with the author. I am not familiar with Dunn either.

rna
            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
              I've got a few books written by Dunn...but I've been told not to waste any more money on his stuff...person who told me is someone whose opinion I very much value, so I'll be following their advice.
              Kunikov, may I ask why?
              What is wrong with W.S.Dunn?
              Kind regards
              Igor

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                Egorka,

I have not read the book, and I am not familiar with the author. I am not familiar with Dunn either.

rna
                The book that is being reffered to by V.Zolotarev is "SECOND FRONT NOW - 1943" by Walter Scott Dunn, Alabama 1980, ISBN 0817300082.
                Kind regards
                Igor

Comment

Originally posted by Egorka View Post
                  Kunikov, may I ask why?
                  What is wrong with W.S.Dunn?
                  Supposedly he makes a lot of errors, I can't give you any off hand though. In my review of his last book on amazon I found a few detail errors here and there but I was told by someone a lot more knowledgeable than me to watch out for him.
                  "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
                  "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
                  "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
                    Supposedly he makes a lot of errors, I can't give you any off hand though. In my review of his last book on amazon I found a few detail errors here and there but I was told by someone a lot more knowledgeable than me to watch out for him.
                    So is it the factual errors or the conclusions he draws?

I mean I could live with him making any conclusions he wants. But if the factual data is corrupt than it looses all sense.

In his book Zolotarev, reffering to Dunn's book, argues that it was very possible from technical point of view to open Second front in Normandy in 1943.
                    Kind regards
                    Igor

Comment

Originally posted by Egorka View Post
                      So is it the factual errors or the conclusions he draws?

I mean I could live with him making any conclusions he wants. But if the factual data is corrupt than it looses all sense.

In his book Zolotarev, reffering to Dunn's book, argues that it was very possible from technical point of view to open Second front in Normandy in 1943.
                      Can't comment on that conclusion, it wasn't in the books of his that I've read.

Comment

I recall the criticism directed at Dunn on this question, is that he took some general data concerning US & British resources and claimed they could support this specific application. His error was not accounting for how these resources were to be concentrated, and the consequences of withdrawing them from other urgent tasks.

I suspose since none have seen this book we must draw straws (and what would the Russian idiom for that be?) and the winner or, perhaps loser, must obtain a copy to read, and report on it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
                          I recall the criticism directed at Dunn on this question, is that he took some general data concerning US & British resources and claimed they could support this specific application. His error was not accounting for how these resources were to be concentrated, and the consequences of withdrawing them from other urgent tasks.

I suspose since none have seen this book we must draw straws (and what would the Russian idiom for that be?) and the winner or, perhaps loser, must obtain a copy to read, and report on it here.
                          It looks like I am getting the honor to be the winner/looser.
                          Kind regards
                          Igor

Comment

If you are looking for honest critical histories on the western front, I can recommend none better than Max Hastings and John SD Eisenhower - the son of the General of the Army. Hastings has several and I've read his Normandy and Korea books. They aren't as comprehensive as some but are very well informed and contain points covering all possible arguments.
                            Eisenhower's book, The Bitter Woods focuses on one battle but uses it to paraphrase the entire war.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                              If you are looking for honest critical histories on the western front, I can recommend none better than Max Hastings and John SD Eisenhower - the son of the General of the Army. Hastings has several and I've read his Normandy and Korea books. They aren't as comprehensive as some but are very well informed and contain points covering all possible arguments.
                              Eisenhower's book, The Bitter Woods focuses on one battle but uses it to paraphrase the entire war.

Hope this helps.
                              I've heard a few 'choice' things in regards to Hastings, he, like Beevor, are 'pop historians' more than anything else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X