• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Biographies

Just picked up two new biographies:
    General Vatutin: "Ni shagu nazad!" by Sergei Kulichkin

Marshal Konev: Master okruzhenii by Richard Portugal'skii

Both books are part of Eksmo's Velikie polkovodtsy Vtoroi mirovoi series. In a quick scoping, there is some limited use of archival material, otherwise standard use of memoirs and military history journal articles.

Any comments from Russian readers on the books? Authors? Are these the first, or have others been published in this series?

One has to be really excited where Russian historians are starting to go on the eastern front.

rna
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Marshall Konev sounds interesting!
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
      Just picked up two new biographies:
      General Vatutin: "Ni shagu nazad!" by Sergei Kulichkin
      www.ozon.ru

Marshal Konev: Master okruzhenii by Richard Portugal'skii

www.ozon.ru

Both books are part of Eksmo's Velikie polkovodtsy Vtoroi mirovoi series. In a quick scoping, there is some limited use of archival material, otherwise standard use of memoirs and military history journal articles.

Any comments from Russian readers on the books? Authors? Are these the first, or have others been published in this series?

One has to be really excited where Russian historians are starting to go on the eastern front.

rna
      There are some more books in this series:

Stalin
      www.ozon.ru

Timoshenko
      www.ozon.ru

Rokossovskiy
      www.ozon.ru

According to the price of those books it's not too deep research. But I didn't read any of them to say more.

Regards
      Alex
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Rick,

Personally I have not read mentioned books but the names of authors look familiar. Both of them are of old soviet military.

Sergei Kulichkin was the chief editor of "Voenizdat" (Military Publishing). I looked through his book about the Hero of Russian-Japanese war of 1904 General Kondratenko. It had pretty impressive artistic descriptions and was definitely in old good style of soviet patriotic reading And it was not surprise for me when I learnt that it was a little bit reworked edition of 1989. Though I must say it included a lot of interesting facts (may be not well systemized – but it is usual for biographic books).

Richard Portugal'skii is a Doctor of Historic Science, professor of some military academy IIRC. I have seen his name in some military theory and history related books and magazines (it's pretty unusual for Russian so I remember it). I have read his book about Marshal Timoshenko. I recall it was not bad and also traditional for soviet historian.

In conclusion I can say it seems as pretty good choice, Rick. Anyway it is probably better than most of amateurish writing which are filling bookstores IMO. If you have patience to filter usual soviet clichés it can be interesting reading although personally I don't expect deep analysis and unusual conclusions from them. But unfortunately those "budget" series rarely has good design and it will be great luck if you find quality pictures/maps there.

Comment

Alex,

Thanks. I agree on depth of research, but, at this point, I will be interested in tone and candidness.

Cheers,
          Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rambow View Post
            Rick,

Personally I have not read mentioned books but the names of authors look familiar. Both of them are of old soviet military.

Sergei Kulichkin was the chief editor of "Voenizdat" (Military Publishing). I looked through his book about the Hero of Russian-Japanese war of 1904 General Kondratenko. It had pretty impressive artistic descriptions and was definitely in old good style of soviet patriotic reading And it was not surprise for me when I learnt that it was a little bit reworked edition of 1989. Though I must say it included a lot of interesting facts (may be not well systemized – but it is usual for biographic books).

Richard Portugal'skii is a Doctor of Historic Science, professor of some military academy IIRC. I have seen his name in some military theory and history related books and magazines (it's pretty unusual for Russian so I remember it). I have read his book about Marshal Timoshenko. I recall it was not bad and also traditional for soviet historian.

In conclusion I can say it seems as pretty good choice, Rick. Anyway it is probably better than most of amateurish writing which are filling bookstores IMO. If you have patience to filter usual soviet clichés it can be interesting reading although personally I don't expect deep analysis and unusual conclusions from them. But unfortunately those "budget" series rarely has good design and it will be great luck if you find quality pictures/maps there.
            Rambow,

Thanks for your observations and background on authors. I'm sure that I have seen Portugal'skii articles in Vizh; I do not have him listed as an author in my book index.

You are correct about the photos; they are the old Soviet standard with airbrushing. No maps either. I will be disappointed if the books are filled with the 'usual soviet cliches'.

Again, thanks for your time and comments.

rna

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
              Alex,

Thanks. I agree on depth of research, but, at this point, I will be interested in tone and candidness.

Cheers,
              Rick
              Rick, you know, personalities isn't my favorable subject. So, unfortunately I haven't read those books...
              However they aren't too expensive to have risk much financial lsses...

Regards
              Alex
              If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
                However they aren't too expensive to have risk much financial lsses...

Regards
                Alex
                Alex,

I agree. I ordered the Rokossovsky biography. He has always been relatively underplayed in the Soviet literature--there's little development of his operation that created the Kursk salient, and his fight during the battle of Kursk on the northern face plays second fiddle to Vatutin's in the south.

rna

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X