Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian view on the Germans use of Zimmerit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian view on the Germans use of Zimmerit.

What was the Russians point of view on this one? A problem for the tank killer Infrantry ground forces? Did it have any effect on tactics or ways to get around it? Just something the Germans "cooked up" to further complicate things for them, giving them an added confidence when facing tank killer teams?

Any thoughts please.

Cheers

TRDG

I cant see how they russians could have thought anything else then "dumb germans" about it, as the germans where the only one (that I know of) that used magnetic mines.

as the russians didnt the zimmerit wasnt an issue for them.

The zimmerit production was an answer on the german development of magnetic antitank mines, they asumed as they had them the enemy shortly will get them as well, and therefore started covering their tanks with zimmerit.

But, Russians didnt use anything magnetic antitankexplosives so that couldnt have been a problem

(Note, only russian magnetic bomb I found is a magnetic railroad bomb, to make it more easier to adapt explosives on the rails, anyone know of any more stuff?)

/Thomas
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
    www.reenactor.se

Comment

Thomas M, thanks!

Now that is shocking to me, I just assumed they did, but not a big factor, just a German over-reaction on their part. That is vey interesting, I got a couple of site suggestions from some other good fellows on this site, I'll have to check them out and see what I get out of it. The address is in the Pz forum if you also want to check it out.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom

Comment

Russian even didn't noticed that zimmerit
        At least there were no any impressions about this invention in memoirs.
        Maybe in some technical reports there were something...
        If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Amvas

So the Russians did'nt ever use magnetic mines at all during WW II? Something tells me you know more here on this subject!

Cheers

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
            So the Russians did'nt ever use magnetic mines at all during WW II? Something tells me you know more here on this subject!

Cheers

Tom
            Well I do know they used magnetic mines on railroads, But I have never seen anything against tanks...
            www.reenactor.se

Comment

Hmmmm

I think a PM in the near future might just sort this out. Who is are Moderator again?

ThomasM

Did you check out the zimmerit sites posted in my Pz thread yet? What do you think?

Cheers

TRDG

Comment

Russian partisans used magnetic mines against fuel tank-wagons.
                It was hard to use those against tanks, because of strong guard of those and low effect. It was better to explode the whole train, than to run after every tank...
                Effect of those mines against tank-wagons was much much greater

Regards
                Alex
                If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Amvas, thanks for the tips!

Did you happen to check out the zimmerit sites on the Pz forum on a similar thread that some guys kindly put up for me? Whats your "take" on this please.

Thanks

TRDG

Comment

Did you happen to check out the zimmerit sites on the Pz forum on a similar thread that some guys kindly put up for me? Whats your "take" on this please.

Thanks

TRDG
                    Not yet, will do when ive slept my few hours of sleep

I will also dig some more in the anti tank weaponry of the RKKA, but cant say I ever encountered anything magnetic there.

/Thomas
                    www.reenactor.se

Comment

Okey Ive read them thrue now, and nothing intressting there really, but one thing I reacted on was this:
                      This coating was designed to defeat the affects
                      of mines placed on armored vehicles, mainly tanks, by determined Russian
                      infantry assault teams.
                      from http://www.afvnews.ca/zimmerit.html

Infantry assault teams early in the war used Fire bottles (molotovs) and normal handgrenades as close quarter weapons with tanks, later in the war they got the RPG43 anti tank hand grenade. Another weapon that was used by the russians later in the war was the german panzerfausts intrestting enough.

So how zimmerit could be a reaction to russian infantry assault teams I dont know, maybe the germans thought "what if those pesky russian assault teams got their hands of our magnetic mines and started producing their own?" that would motivate a production long before the russians started making own magnetic mines.

I belive the germans did the right thing when starting producing Zimmerit to their tanks, a such intressting antitank weapon as a magnetic mine (especially as its a shaped charge) are most useful and I wouldnt be suprised if some russians actually used captured german magnetic mines to take out german tanks (but thats juts an assumption, I have no proof of it happend.)

But as Alex points out, the russians hardly noticed the zimmerit so they never thought about it that much, and the zimmerit doesnt stop fire bottles or RPG grenades anyway.

Another question I get when thinking about this is "Why didnt the russians produce own magnetic mines when they must have captured a few germans ones and tested their effectivnes?"

And for that I have no clue.

/Thomas
                      www.reenactor.se

Comment

Yes, it is kind of strange......

Did the Germans really waste their time on a non-existent threat on the Eastern Front? That is the heart of the matter to me! What kind of mines were the Russians using at a certain period of time might be another one.

It would be like, no time to plant these mines for the German tank attack!! We will have to issue them to our infrantry to see what they can do with them, we gotta do something to stop those pesky German tanks, this is what we have. Maybe the Germans thought they were magnetic mines when they were just regular ones???

Hopefully someone here can help us out here.....

Cheers

Comment

What did........

The Russian Infrantry/tank hunter teams use from early on up to mid war when they confronted the German armour?

Any thoughts???

Cheers

Comment

The Russian Infrantry/tank hunter teams use from early on up to mid war when they confronted the German armour?

Any thoughts???

Cheers
                            The Russians used antitank rifles all the way until the end of the war. The Russians, Poles and Fins made some of the best AT rifles of the war.
                            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Yes, I remember that as well, but

Was'nt there many a time when "close contact" prohibited their use, they did have tank killer teams roaming around, did'nt they?

Good thought though!

Cheers
                              Last edited by TRDG; 07 Oct 07, 02:18. Reason: spelling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X