Russian language spelling of the ranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yurist View Post
    Really. But Amwas spoke about the Starshina as rank.
    No, he didn't. I think he mixes them or don't know the details well enough.

This rank is also called "soldier-general", because it is usually assigned to the most experienced soldiers.
    Also it is because starshina is the highest rank that a soldier can get without additional education.

And now it is happened very rarely in army. That's why the word "starshina" is often used in the meaning of post.
    No, you are wrong. Both post and rank are used.

And now about the "company starshina" ("starshinA rOty") post.

Since 1973 till now this post can be occupied by a person in the rank of "praposhik" or "senior praporshik". Before that date there were starshinas (rank) and sergeant at this post.
    Sergeants can be a starshina of a company in the spite of the existence of "praporschiks".

Comment

Originally posted by naegling View Post
      In the British army a post is the function that person carries out. For example in the Artillery a gun commander is a post. The cry ‘take post’ was used to call everyone to take up their positions on the gun to fire it. As a gun commander’s post the soldier carries out certain functions, such as ensuring that the gun is laid accurately that the correct data is applied to the gun and he is responsible for his crew and the gun. This post has an established rank that person should be to function in that post. However, due to lack of manpower [peace time] casualties [war time] this post may be occupied by someone with a different rank. In theory a gun commander would be a bombardier [corporal]; however a lance bombardier or even a gunner could fill that post if he had the skills to do it. Plus when I was in the artillery we worked on the crewman concept. This meant that you were trained to fill other people posts so that with casualties the gun could still be fired.
      yes

I get the impression that a starshina [Старшина], is a non combat post. In the British army this would be a staff sergeant his function was to ensure that the food arrived, he maintained all the stores, and he issued stores to the troops, such as new uniforms. Plus he would bring forward more ammunition onto the gun position. Obviously in time of war he might need to replace casualties and therefore he could fulfil a combat role.

In the WW2 wehrmacht sounds like he would be a Hauptfeldwebel or der Speiss, or ‘mother’ as I believe he was nicknamed. He might hold the rank of oberfeldwebel or stabsfeldwebel. Hence again he holds a post but with different rank.
      exactly

Comment

Oboy, thanks for the replyes, have given som intressting info I can tell you!

However I have one last question ( I think... :P )

what is the person called that is second in command to the platoon leader?
        I have heard both "platoonsergeant" and "deputy commander". guess its a translation question, but what do you guys say?

/Thomas
        http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
        www.reenactor.se

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
          Oboy, thanks for the replyes, have given som intressting info I can tell you!

However I have one last question ( I think... :P )

I have heard both "platoonsergeant" and "deputy commander". guess its a translation question, but what do you guys say?

/Thomas
          Deputy of platoon commander - "zamkomvzvoda". A Sergent. The main sergeant in the platoon

Comment

Thanks for the help!
            www.reenactor.se

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey
              Originally posted by Yurist
              And now it is happened very rarely in army. That's why the word "starshina" is often used in the meaning of post.
              No, you are wrong. Both post and rank are used.
              I'm right But you've got me wrong. I said that rank "starshina" is used in army (pay attention to this; in the navy and the militia there are quite more servicemen in this rank), but very rarely (in the Soviet Army AFAIK there was 1 starshina per 2600 soldiers). On the other hand there are "starshina roty" in every company. That's why word "starshina" in our modern army is often (often, not always) associated namely with the post (for example, my friends who ended the military service recently understand this word in the mentioned sence). But this is not the matter. I see, everybody have understood everything.

Originally posted by ThomasM
              He is called "zamestItel komandIra vzvOda" (in abbreviated form "zamkomvzvoda")or "deputy platoon commander". Again, this is a post. Ranks can differ. At most this post is occupied by sergeant

Comment

Originally posted by Yurist View Post
                I'm right But you've got me wrong. I said that rank "starshina" is used in army (pay attention to this; in the navy and the militia there are quite more servicemen in this rank), but very rarely (in the Soviet Army AFAIK there was 1 starshina per 2600 soldiers). On the other hand there are "starshina roty" in every company. That's why word "starshina" in our modern army is often (often, not always) associated namely with the post (for example, my friends who ended the military service recently understand this word in the mentioned sence). But this is not the matter. I see, everybody have understood everything.
                1. Yes, in Navy sergeants are called "starshina of the 1, 2nd class" and so on. But we sopeak aboyt ground forces.

2. The soldiers uses the word of "starshina" depending from the context. They can say both about rank or post and they understand whom they speak about. It is the same as to say, for example, "kapitan" ("captain") or "rotnyi" ("company commander") about the same person. It depends from the situation when they use rank or post.

So don't lead ThomasM and the others astray! They undersood all correctly and now you again became to confuse them.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                  So don't lead ThomasM and the others astray! They undersood all correctly and now you again became to confuse them.
                  Cant confuse a guy thats already totally confused

Hehe just kidding, I got what you mean Andrey and it has solved the problems

(Can tell you its hard reenacting russian soldier in the west due to lack of info that arent in russian )

Thanks!

/Thomas
                  www.reenactor.se

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X