Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian language spelling of the ranks

Hi,

I would be interested in the Russian language spelling of the Personal ranks of the RKKA 1943-1945. I have the English translations but want to put the actual Russian onto some counters I am making up. I have all of Andery’s excellent information that he put on the forum already.

These are the ones I am after:

clear shoulder board- "Krasnoarmeets" - private
    one stripe across shoulder board - "Efreitor" - first class private

Junior combat command staff
    two stripes across shoulder board - "Mladshii Serzhant" - Junior Sergeant (corporal)
    three stripes across shoulder board - "Serzhant " - sergeant
    one wide stripe across shoulder board connected with a stripe along shoulder board - "Starshii Serzhant " - Senior Sergeant
    one wide stripe along shoulder board - "Starshina" - Staff sergeant

Officers
    1 small star, one very thin line along – “Mladshii Leitenant” - Junior Leitenant (Warrant Officer)
    2 small stars, one very thin line along – “Lieutenant” - Leitenant (2nd Leitenant)
    3 small stars, one very thin line along – “Starshii Leitenant” - Senior Leitenant (1st Leitenant)
    4 small stars, one very thin line along – “Kapitan” - Captain
    1 large star, two very thin lines along – “Maior” - Major
    2 large stars, two very thin lines along – “Podpolkovnik” - Lt. Colonel
    3 large stars, two very thin lines along – “Polkovnik” - Colonel

Generals
    1 large star – “General-Maior” - Major General
    2 large stars – “General-Leitenant” - Lieutenant General
    3 large stars – “General-Polkovnik” - Colonel General
    4 large stars – “General Armii” - General
    1 very large star – “Marshal Sovetskogo Soiuza” - Marshal of the Soviet Union

Thanks for any info

Nigel

clear shoulder board- "krasnaarmEets" - private
    one stripe across shoulder board - "efrEitor" - first class private

two stripes across shoulder board - "mlAdshii serzhAnt" - Junior Sergeant (corporal)
    three stripes across shoulder board - "serzhAnt " - sergeant
    one wide stripe across shoulder board connected with a stripe along shoulder board - "stArshii serzhAnt " - Senior Sergeant
    one wide stripe along shoulder board - "starshinA" - Staff sergeant

Officers
    1 small star, one very thin line along – “mlAdshii leitenAnt” - Junior Leitenant (Warrant Officer)
    2 small stars, one very thin line along – “leitenAnt” - Leitenant (2nd Leitenant)
    3 small stars, one very thin line along – “stArshii leitenAnt” - Senior Leitenant (1st Leitenant)
    4 small stars, one very thin line along – “kapitAn” - Captain
    1 large star, two very thin lines along – “maiOr” - Major
    2 large stars, two very thin lines along – “padpalkOvnik” - Lt. Colonel
    3 large stars, two very thin lines along – “palkOvnik” - Colonel

Generals
    1 large star – “generAl-maiOr” - Major General
    2 large stars – “generAl-leitenAnt” - Lieutenant General
    3 large stars – “generAl-palkOvnik” - Colonel General
    4 large stars – “generAl Armii” - General
    1 very large star – “mArshal savEtskava saiUza” - Marshal of the Soviet Union

Rem.
    Russian "a" is sounded like the "a" in the word "army",
    "e" - "e" in "revolution"
    Last edited by Andrey; 26 Aug 07, 21:41.

Comment

Check my page
      http://www.rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.c...form/ranks.htm
      It'll give answer to a large pack of your questions

Regards
      Alex
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Thanks guys,

I was more after the actual Russian alphabet spelling.

For example I managed to find the word for sergeant so far: Сержант.

This was what I was after for the rest.

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by naegling View Post
          Thanks guys,

I was more after the actual Russian alphabet spelling.

For example I managed to find the word for sergeant so far: Сержант.

This was what I was after for the rest.

Nigel
          http://www.rkka.ru/uniform/terms/zvania.htm

Comment

I have a question regardings the responsebilitys of the ranks that are listed here. and now im thinking of GPW era. as I belong to a swedish reenacment unit we have Junior sergeants as squad leaders and as platoon sergeant, and from this reading it looks a bit wrong? (that would mean we have corprals as squad leaders)

"krasnaarmEets" - private = pretty obvius.
            "efrEitor" - first class private - ?

"mlAdshii serzhAnt" - Junior Sergeant (corporal)
            "serzhAnt " - sergeant
            "stArshii serzhAnt " - Senior Sergeant
            "starshinA" - Staff sergeant

/Thomas
            http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
            www.reenactor.se

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
              I have a question regardings the responsebilitys of the ranks that are listed here. and now im thinking of GPW era. as I belong to a swedish reenacment unit we have Junior sergeants as squad leaders and as platoon sergeant, and from this reading it looks a bit wrong? (that would mean we have corprals as squad leaders)

"krasnaarmEets" - private = pretty obvius.
              "efrEitor" - first class private - ?

"mlAdshii serzhAnt" - Junior Sergeant (corporal)
              "serzhAnt " - sergeant
              "stArshii serzhAnt " - Senior Sergeant
              "starshinA" - Staff sergeant

/Thomas
              Wht is your question?

In Red Army (and modern Russian Army) a Sergeant (Junior or ordinary one) is a squad commander. A Platoon is consisted of a few squads. The commander of a platoon is an oficer (lietenant), a Sergeant (Senior or Ordinary onem sometimes - Starshina) is a deputy of the platoon commander.

Comment

Well, my question (to clarify it) is what ewery rank does?
                and especially this ones:

1st class private: ?

But a squad leader is a Mladsjih serzhant or a serzhant?

And starshina is a deputy platonn leader?

can you tell me more what exatly the responsibilitys of the deputy platoon leader is? (as Im supposed to act as one)

/Thomas
                www.reenactor.se

Comment

Yefreitor (1st class private) is promoted soldier.
                  Could be assistant of squad commander

Take it easy. Squad commander could be mladshiy serzhant, serzhant, or Starshiy serzhant. Everything depended on situation.

Like division commander could be Major-General, Colonel, or even Lt. Colonel.
                  In late 1930s sometimes division commanders could be even Majors!

can you tell me more what exatly the responsibilitys of the deputy platoon leader is? (as Im supposed to act as one)
                  Starshina (first sergeant; sergeant-major; master sergeant) was commander assistant with very wide duties, who, for example was responsible for stores of military unit. That doesn't mean he didn't took part in fights. Been assistant of commander starshina could take command in the case when commander was killed, or wounded.

Regards
                  Alex
                  Last edited by amvas; 27 Aug 07, 12:54.
                  If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

/Thomas
                    1. There are posts and ranks. They are different things.

For example, Starshina is a rank AND there is a post called Starshina !!!!

Starshina of Company, Battery and so on (post!) means the person who is responsible for the company, battery and so on property and the soldiers' things - boots, uniform.

So there are the following sergeants posts in a company:
                    - squad commander,
                    - deputy of a platoon commander,
                    - starshina of a company.

Any sergeant (with any sergeants rank) could get any of those posts but usually
                    - squad commander - Junior Sergeant or Sergeant
                    - deputy of a platoon commander - Sergeant, Senior Sergeant or Starshina
                    - starshina of a company - Senior Sergeant or Starshina

When a soldier gets a sergeants post he got a segeants rank. At first he becomes Junior Sergeant. After some time of the service as a Junior Sergeant his commanders CAN decide that he is a good sergeant and to give him the next of sergeants ranks - sergeant. It can happen without getting a new post so the good sergeant can get the rank of Sergeant but still continue to be a squad commander.

Very good Sergeant can become a Senior Sergeant.

And very good Senior Sergeant can become a Starshina.

2. Russian Efreitor is equal to German Gefreitor and US 1st Class Private. It means a good experienced soldier but he had no subordinates. For example, a machine gunner or sniper can be a efreitor. Also an ordinary experienced soldier without commanders abilities can become a efreitor.

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
                      Starshina (first sergeant; sergeant-major; master sergeant) was commander assistant with very wide duties, who, for example was responsible for stores of military unit. That doesn't mean he didn't took part in fights. Been assistant of commander starshina could take command in the case when commander was killed, or wounded.
                      Amvas didn't serve in army so he isn't correct there.

A Starshina (post, not rank) is a steward, manager of a household. Such guys usually didn't take part in a combat but organized the providing of the fighting soldiers by weapon, food and uniform.

I DOUBT he can replace the commander in battle. There is no Starshina post in a platoon, there is a Starshina post in a company scale. In the scale of a company there are the following officers subordinated to a company commander:
                      - deputy of company commander in questions of weapon (technical officer)
                      - deputy of company commander in questions of personal (politic officer, commissar)
                      - platoon commanders (usually 1 company consisted of 3 platoons so it meant 3 officers-platoon commanders)

If a company commander was killed, wounded or ill one of those officers was to replace him. If there are no available officers a good sergeant - deputy of a platoon commander could replace him.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, cleared up most questions but created a new question for me...

Didnt all infantry platoons have a starsjina (grade and post) as deputy platoon commander?

So you had a luitenant that runs the platoon, a starsjina to aid him in non combat situations and then squadleaders (seargeants of any rank) with jeofrieters who help them out with leading the squad.

Right?

Or am I all out confused?

/Thomas
                        www.reenactor.se

Comment

Thanks for the reply, cleared up most questions but created a new question for me...

Didnt all infantry platoons have a starsjina (grade and post) as deputy platoon commander?

So you had a luitenant that runs the platoon, a starsjina to aid him in non combat situations and then squadleaders (seargeants of any rank) with jeofrieters who help them out with leading the squad.

Right?

Or am I all out confused?

/Thomas
                          A COMPANY have got a starshina (post) - steward, a company commander haven't got a deputy-sergeant, he have got deputies-officers.

A PLATOON haven't got starshina (post), a platoon commander have got a sergeant-deputy of the platoon commander.

Starshina (post) sits in rears and counts boots, deputy of the platoon commander is a fighting sergeant.

Efreitor is a good soldier only, he haven't got any subordinates.
                          Last edited by Andrey; 28 Aug 07, 03:59.

Comment

Hallo. This is my 1st post here.

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                            A PLATOON haven't got starshina (post), a platoon commander have got a sergeant-deputy of the platoon commander.
                            Really. But Amwas spoke about the Starshina as rank. A person in this rank could be in the capacity of platoon commander's deputy or even be platoon coommander himself (such things we may read in memoirs). And theese people also took part in fight. This rank is also called "soldier-general", because it is usually assigned to the most experienced soldiers. And now it is happened very rarely in army. That's why the word "starshina" is often used in the meaning of post.

And now about the "company starshina" ("starshinA rOty") post.

Since 1973 till now this post can be occupied by a person in the rank of "praposhik" or "senior praporshik". Before that date there were starshinas (rank) and sergeant at this post.

According to Regulation of the Internal Service a serviceman who is in the capacity of "starshina roty" ("Starshina of Company, Battery and so on (post!)") has following functions: http://www.old.mil.ru/articles/article4135.shtml

Starshina roty

148. Starshina roty either at the time of peace or war is responsible for:
                            the order of soldiers & sergeants service;
                            the maintenance of the discipline & the internal oreder of the company;
                            the safety of the company armament, equipment and other property of the company and also servicemen's paraphernalia which are holded in the company store (aka "kladovka" or "kaptyorka").

He obeys to commander of the company, he is direct organizer of the internal order in the company location and direct chief for the company soldiers and sergeants.

In absence of company officers "starshina roty" discharges functions of the company commander.
                            So, both Andrey and amwas are right, but speak about a bit different things.

Comment

Thanks Amvas for the link very handy information.

Interesting discussion on posts and ranks.

In the British army a post is the function that person carries out. For example in the Artillery a gun commander is a post. The cry ‘take post’ was used to call everyone to take up their positions on the gun to fire it. As a gun commander’s post the soldier carries out certain functions, such as ensuring that the gun is laid accurately that the correct data is applied to the gun and he is responsible for his crew and the gun. This post has an established rank that person should be to function in that post. However, due to lack of manpower [peace time] casualties [war time] this post may be occupied by someone with a different rank. In theory a gun commander would be a bombardier [corporal]; however a lance bombardier or even a gunner could fill that post if he had the skills to do it. Plus when I was in the artillery we worked on the crewman concept. This meant that you were trained to fill other people posts so that with casualties the gun could still be fired.

I get the impression that a starshina [Старшина], is a non combat post. In the British army this would be a staff sergeant his function was to ensure that the food arrived, he maintained all the stores, and he issued stores to the troops, such as new uniforms. Plus he would bring forward more ammunition onto the gun position. Obviously in time of war he might need to replace casualties and therefore he could fulfil a combat role.

In the WW2 wehrmacht sounds like he would be a Hauptfeldwebel or der Speiss, or ‘mother’ as I believe he was nicknamed. He might hold the rank of oberfeldwebel or stabsfeldwebel. Hence again he holds a post but with different rank.

Just some food for thought.

Nigel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X