Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalingrad - Mislabeled Photo

Hi:

In the "Road to Stalingrad" by John Erikson, there is an aerial photograph on the left side of page 311. The photo is labeled 'Mamayev Kurgan'. Is it my imagination, or is this a picture of the Lazur Chemical Plan (Tennis Racket) taken from the North? Mamayev Kurgan should be south-west of the plant (very close), but is not in the picture.

Regards,

John
    Stranger! To Sparta say, her faithful band,
    Here lie in death, remembering her command.

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

My copy has no pictures whatsoever.
    "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
    "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
    "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Stalingrad Photo

Kunikov:

I should have attached the photos. In the second attachment (my photo) you can see the faint edge of Mamayev Kurgan, in the upper right corner. In the first attachment, Erikson's, you cannot even see this much.

Regards,

John
      Last edited by John Calvin; 06 Aug 08, 07:29.

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

The first photo is definitely hard to orient with, the second is better, is the second from any of Jason Mark's works?
        "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
        "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
        "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Stalingrad Photo

The pictures can be oriented using the wide end of the racket, which points north. Even though the second picture does not have an identifying number and letter on the top, I believe you are correct.

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

Looking at the two photos I would say you are correct John. You can see two definite non parallel lines running the lengh of the 'tennis racket' with which to orientate the photos.
            Wolster

Comment

No suprise here....I've found up to a 1/2 dozen or more, photos mis-identified in any 1 book.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X