Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio/Memoir Recommendations

Hi:

I am paying for a shelf of books for my local library. I have provided them a list of books on the Battle of Stalingrad, but I am not that familiar with biographies or memoirs of Soviet personalities, connected to the battle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The following is a list of the general reference books I have already recommended. Any further recommendations would be appreciated.

"Barbarossa, Hitler's Invasion of Russia 1941" by David M. Glantz (Author)
    "When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler" by David M. Glantz (Author), Jonathan M. House (Author)
    "The Road to Stalingrad" by John Erickson
    "The Road to Berlin" by John Erickson
    "Stopped at Stalingrad: The Luftwaffe and Hitler's Defeat in the East, 1942-1943" by Joel S. A. Hayward
    "Moscow to Stalingrad : decision in the east"
    by Earl Frederick Ziemke
    "Death of the leaping horseman : 24. Panzer-Division in Stalingrad, 12th August - 20th November 1942"
    by Jason D Mark
    "Island of Fire: The Battle for the Barrikady Gun Factory in Stalingrad - November 1942-February 1943" by Jason D. Mark

Regards,

John
    Stranger! To Sparta say, her faithful band,
    Here lie in death, remembering her command.

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

http://www.amazon.com/Stalins-Genera...5551631&sr=8-1
    Stalin's Generals
    by Harold Shukman (Editor)
    "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
    "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
    "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Just giving some links to the Russian books/memoirs on the subject

http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id...?partner=amvas

Yeremenko, "Stalingrad: Devoted to participants of the Great Battle"

http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id...?partner=amvas

Shtemenko: "The general Staff in the years of the war. From Stalingrad to Berlin"

Also very good book
      "Stalingradskaya Bitva Khronika, Fakty, Lyudi", Olma-press
      But it was sold everywhere... I have only 1 extra volume out of 2

Regards
      Alex
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

I would recommend these without qualification:

Ziemke also has a Stalingrad to Berlin.

Zhukov by Otto Chaney (Revised edition)
        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Bio/Memoir

Rick:

I had Ziemke's two books on my list, but not Chaney.

I went through Harvard today and that added 22 books (in English) to my 'have to read' list. Doing the research on Stalingrad, without being able to read Russian, is depressing.

I just finished the introduction and the section on Katukov from "The Red Army Tank Commanders". It certainly provides a missing perspective on the Russian commanders.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

John

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

Bio/Memoir

Hi:

Thanks also to Kunikov and AMVAS. The Shtemenko book is available through ILL. As for the Russian books, I am a Georgian, not a грузин грузинский.

с сердечным приветом

John

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

Originally posted by John Calvin View Post
              Rick:

I had Ziemke's two books on my list, but not Chaney.

I went through Harvard today and that added 22 books (in English) to my 'have to read' list. Doing the research on Stalingrad, without being able to read Russian, is depressing.

I just finished the introduction and the section on Katukov from "The Red Army Tank Commanders". It certainly provides a missing perspective on the Russian commanders.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

John
              John,

See if you can get A. M. Samsonov, "Stalingradskaya bitva", Moscow: Nauka, 1968 (there may be a newer edition). While it is in Russian, it has a superb collection of maps and good order of battle tables in the back. It does not have a city map; I already checked. The narrative centers around the operational fight for Stlaingrad.

Rick

Comment

I enjoyed Chaney's book when I read it years ago, so I would recommend it as well. Which books did you pick up at Harvard?
                "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
                "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
                "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Bio/Memoir

Kunikov:

I went on line and used their catalogue. They will not allow ILL, so I check their titles against libraries that will loan. The following books are available to me in Georgia.

Stalingrad : memories and reassessments
                  by Joachim Wieder; Heinrich Einsiedel, Graf von.

Stalingrad : the defeat of the German 6th Army
                  by Paul Carell

Stalingrad : anatomy of an agony
                  by V E Tarrant

Through hell for Hitler : a dramatic first-hand account of fighting on the Eastern Front with the Wehrmacht
                  by Henry Metelmann

The onslaught : the German drive to Stalingrad : documented in 150 unpublished colour photographs from the German Archive for Art and History
                  by Heinrich Einsiedel, Graf von.; Archiv für Kunst und Geschichte (Germany)

The Battle of Stalingrad
                  by I︠U︡ V Plotnikov

Two hundred days of fire; accounts by participants and witnesses of the battle of Stalingrad.

Stalingrad: the turning point.
                  by Geoffrey Jukes

The battle for Stalingrad.
                  by V I Chuĭkov

Paulus and Stalingrad; a life of Field-Marshal Friedrich Paulus, with notes, correspondence, and documents from his papers.
                  by Walter Görlitz

Stalingrad; an eye-witness account by soviet correspondents and red army commanders.

Soviet use of war experience the mobile group of the 5th tank Army in the penetration, Stalingrad, November 1942
                  by David M Glantz;

Voices from Stalingrad
                  by Jonathan Bastable

Stalingrad, the vital 7 days
                  by Will Fowler

Stalingrad
                  by Bernd Ulrich

On the road to Stalingrad : memoirs of a woman machine gunner
                  by Zoya Matveyevna Smirnova-Medvedeva; Kazimiera Janina Cottam

The Onslaught : the German drive to Stalingrad : documented in 150 unpublished colour photographs from the German Archive for Art and History
                  by Heinrich Einsiedel, Graf von.

The heart of the 6th army
                  by Heinz G Konsalik

The ninety days
                  by Thomas N Carmichael

The year of Stalingrad, a historical record and a study of Russian mentality, methods and policies
                  by Alexander Werth

Front-line Stalingrad.
                  by Viktor Nekrasov

Regards,

John

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

Bio/Memoir

Rick:

Good old U. of Georgia:

Stalingradskai︠a︡ bitva.
                    by Aleksandr Mikhaĭlovich Samsonov
                    Language: Russian Type: Book
                    Publisher: Moskva, "Nauka," 1968. | Other Editions ...
                    OCLC: 5735636

Thanks.

Regards,

John

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
                      I enjoyed Chaney's book when I read it years ago, so I would recommend it as well. Which books did you pick up at Harvard?
                      Be sure you read the Revised Chaney edition. It was an update after he had met and interviewed Zhukov's daughters(actually established a personal friendship) who pointed out that their father always kept a suitcase packed for an NKVD visit and that he had seen his name on a list to be picked up by the NKVD when in was in the Krmelin to get orders to go to Khalkin Gol, and it incorporated the least censored editon of Zhukov's memoirs (10th or 11th edition).

rick

Comment

BIO/Memoir

Rick:

The latest I see is 1996.

John

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

Kunikov:

I went on line and used their catalogue. They will not allow ILL, so I check their titles against libraries that will loan. The following books are available to me in Georgia.
                          I'll go through each of them, since I've read many of them:

Good source.

Stalingrad : the defeat of the German 6th Army
                          by Paul Carell
                          Because what you read by Carell, that isn't his real name and he used to work in the Nazi propaganda department, many don't consider his works 'historical' but rather 'fiction.'

Stalingrad : anatomy of an agony
                          by V E Tarrant
                          Good book.

Through hell for Hitler : a dramatic first-hand account of fighting on the Eastern Front with the Wehrmacht
                          by Henry Metelmann
                          Probably the best German memoir I've read for one reason, this is the ONLY German soldier that I've encountered who considers what he did was wrong, i.e. invading the Soviet Union. Highly recommended, not a lot of action though.

The onslaught : the German drive to Stalingrad : documented in 150 unpublished colour photographs from the German Archive for Art and History
                          by Heinrich Einsiedel, Graf von.; Archiv für Kunst und Geschichte (Germany)

The Battle of Stalingrad
                          by I︠U︡ V Plotnikov

Stalingrad: the turning point.
                          by Geoffrey Jukes

Paulus and Stalingrad; a life of Field-Marshal Friedrich Paulus, with notes, correspondence, and documents from his papers.
                          by Walter Görlitz

Stalingrad
                          by Bernd Ulrich
                          Haven't read these.

Two hundred days of fire; accounts by participants and witnesses of the battle of Stalingrad.
                          Good source from Soviet point of view.

The battle for Stalingrad.
                          by V I Chuĭkov
                          Must read.

Stalingrad; an eye-witness account by soviet correspondents and red army commanders.

Soviet use of war experience the mobile group of the 5th tank Army in the penetration, Stalingrad, November 1942
                          by David M Glantz;

Voices from Stalingrad
                          by Jonathan Bastable
                          Worth reading, Bastable is OK, nothing memorable, sad to say.

Stalingrad, the vital 7 days
                          by Will Fowler
                          Nothing memorable.

On the road to Stalingrad : memoirs of a woman machine gunner
                          by Zoya Matveyevna Smirnova-Medvedeva; Kazimiera Janina Cottam

The heart of the 6th army
                          by Heinz G Konsalik

The ninety days
                          by Thomas N Carmichael

The year of Stalingrad, a historical record and a study of Russian mentality, methods and policies
                          by Alexander Werth

Front-line Stalingrad.
                          by Viktor Nekrasov

Regards,

John
                          On the road is interesting, Nekrasov is definitely must read, Werth I have but haven't gotten around to reading. Well, you are thorough!

Comment

"Russia at War" by Alexander Werth

Comment

Rick:

The latest I see is 1996.

John
                              That's the one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X