Battle of Soltsy July 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Soltsy July 1941

Does anybody know Western documents and photos about RKKA counterblow at Soltsy (small city near Novgorod) between July 14-18, 1941? This was one of several successful counterblows of the Red Army during the first months of the war. Short description in English can be obtained here: www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/RTL_PB.pdf

I collected as much as I have here: http://www.salt.orthodoxy.ru/our_lan...s/war/war.html Sorry, this text is only in Russian, but includes several interesting photos and maps.

I would be especially thankful for links to other photos!

I have that game from GMT. Haven't got to play it yet though.

Comment

Never played this game also. If it includes a god map, you can probably see small village "Lopatuha" (renamed into "Stepanovo" after the war in the memory of local partizan) behind the railway station. My grandmother was born in this village. She still lives in Soltsy and I visit this city several times in a year. That is why I am interested in this battle.

I think, some photos should exist made by Germans during this battle. Like these about Myasnoy Bor (spring 1942): www.webpark.ru/comments.php?id=25749

Comment

Vitaly,

Check with David Glantz ([email protected]). I believe he documented that in his 'Forgotten Battles" series, Volume I.

konev

Comment

Originally posted by Konev View Post
          Vitaly,

Check with David Glantz ([email protected]). I believe he documented that in his 'Forgotten Battles" series, Volume I.

konev
          That's right, it's there, a few pages and a few maps, quoted directive from Stavka and an excerpt from Manstein.
          "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
          "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
          "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Charles W. Sydnor's "Soldiers of Destruction" has a couple of pages on the SS Death's Head role in the fight, and he references German unit records.

John Erickson's "The Road to Stalingrad" has a page for the Red Army context of the action.

Glantz's maps are indispensable.
            Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 29 Jul 07, 17:53.
            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Thank you all! Now I see that Soltsy is also mentioned in this Glantz's short article: http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/documents/failures.htm but obviously with misspelled name "Stolb'tsy".

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaly View Post
                Never played this game also. If it includes a god map, you can probably see small village "Lopatuha" (renamed into "Stepanovo" after the war in the memory of local partizan) behind the railway station. My grandmother was born in this village. She still lives in Soltsy and I visit this city several times in a year. That is why I am interested in this battle.

I think, some photos should exist made by Germans during this battle. Like these about Myasnoy Bor (spring 1942): www.webpark.ru/comments.php?id=25749
                I looked at the map last night. If it's on there, it is just a dot for a point of reference. Everything is at the 1.2 mile scale so it doesn't affect play.
                The rules seem to be very in depth and satisfying by the way. One thing I don't like is when they don't reuse rules for other battles. This would be good for Smolensk or Borodino.

Comment

Originally Posted by Swampwolf: ...Everything is at the 1.2 mile scale so it doesn't affect play.
                  Hmm... And how to move the units on this map? For such relatively local battle the local features are very important, IMHO. Especialy, there are lots of peatbogs in this area with few narrow roads between them. The Shelon' river banks are also very specific so you can cross it with tanks not in every place in the reality.

If one do not account for this, it has no sense to associate the game with specific area:-) Just take a white sheet of paper instead of the map and move your units as you like:-)

P.S.: I'll go on vacation to Russia tomorrow. Particularly, in order to visit my grandmamma in Soltsy. I'll be back in this forum only after September 4...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X