Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory slogans and graffiti

Hi

I was at a military store the other day and the owner told me how he was painting Victory Slogans on the Russian tanks, and which ones he was using. I have a few questions about the victory slogans:
    In pictures they are on the turrets of tanks and normally on walls too. Was there a standard procedure for painting it on the tank? I assume they had to say the right thing too. Then and today our Marines can write pretty much what they want but it has to be on the right place of the vehicle. I'm assuming that helmet graffiti was also forbidden.

What were some good slogans?

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
    Hi

I was at a military store the other day and the owner told me how he was painting Victory Slogans on the Russian tanks, and which ones he was using. I have a few questions about the victory slogans:
    In pictures they are on the turrets of tanks and normally on walls too. Was there a standard procedure for painting it on the tank?
    No there were no any standard procedures...
    As far as I know, usually a crew simply asked for permission to paint some slogan on their tank from comissar of the unit and then, painted it by any available means according to tehir own fantasy and abilities.

I assume they had to say the right thing too. Then and today our Marines can write pretty much what they want but it has to be on the right place of the vehicle. I'm assuming that helmet graffiti was also forbidden.
    There were some usual places for writing (for example on a tank hull and turret), but they were not limited by any orders, or instructions...
    Never saw any helmet paintings on the Soviet soldiers...

What were some good slogans?
    Well... There were enormous amount of them...
    Check photos and colored images in books... even western ones contains a large number of them supplied with translations

Regards
    Alex
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Most translated slogans are ussually very to the point. I see in my books a lot of tanks painted with "For Stalin" on them. Those pictures are from Stalingrad too, so I guess it had a special morale effect. Others ussually say things like "Victory." It's a lot different than what I'm used to: Ours were normally humorous.
      I did see a Soviet anti-tank gun painted with (according to the translation) "Animal Killer," obviously in reference to the German Tigers, Elephants, Wasps, and all of that.

Comment

I recon "Animal Killer" is not very adequate translation.
        I presume it should have been "Beast Killer".
        Kind regards
        Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
        * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
        * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Comment

Here is a collection of photos with the slogans (no translation from Russian though).

First airplains, then tanks: http://kenigtiger.livejournal.com/941533.html
          Kind regards
          Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.

Comment

Nice photos. It really does help it feel a lot more real. I've been reading a lot lately (Glantz' books mostly) but it comes across in another way when you can see it.

Comment

Did not the Russians refer to Germans as beasts?

Comment

Trung-si: Did not the Russians refer to Germans as beasts?
                As Swampwolf said: "obviously in reference to the German Tigers, Elephants, Wasps, and all of that" (see his post 23 Jul 07, 20:16). As I understand, the original slogan was "Zveroboy" that should better be translated just as "Hunter".

Comment

Originally posted by Trung-si View Post
                  Normaly word "beast" in this context would be used together with word "fascism".

But it is practicaly imposible to figure out what ment "Animal Killer" in the Swampwolf's post. There coulld be different expressions with different meanings and moods attached to them.

For example:

This one reads "Fight the fascist serpent" or "Strike the fascist serpent"

Plus, IIRC, "Hunter" (Zveroboy) was a nickname for the ISU-152 self propelled gun.

Regards
                  Igor
                  Kind regards
                  Igor

Comment

ISU-152 was used as an effective AT self-propelled gun. It had 152-mm gun and turrets of "Tigers" and "Panthers" were blown off by its shells.

The "Tigers" and "Panthers" were considered very dangerous tanks with very thick armor.

So the Soviet soldiers called USU-152 "Zveroboi". It means "Hunter on beasts".

In this context it means "hunter on large or dangerous animals".

Comment

Originally posted by Trung-si View Post
                      I offer you to look this
                      "The fought for the Motherland"
                      http://www.ruscico.com/detail.php?lang=en&film=322

It is one of the best Soviet movies about WWII. It contains a set of super-stars of the Soviet cinematography.

Maybe you will understad who the Soviet soldiers were...

Comment

"They fought for the Motherland"

Yes! Watch it Watch it Watch it!!!! You won't regret it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X